Ken Rector retires.

Coach Rector,

Thank you for everything you did and all the lives you changed. You did your job with class and dignity and not always in easy circumstances. Good luck to you in whatever comes next.

Are you in as good a shape as 20 years ago? I sort of doubt it. I don't think it really matters. If I was coming in as a coach, I would want to run my own program so what Ken Rector had in place wouldn't matter that much. When Jack Greynolds took over in 1970, he saw he was not going to have a lot of tall players in Barberton and after using Bo Dutton's players from the year before, he started formulating his small, quick, pressing, team concept the next year. I will also say I'm not sure bringing in a former Barberton player to coach is the answer (although I'm not against it). I'm sure it would bring about some excitement initially but as always, they would have to win.

Last edited:
Coach Rector,

Thank you for everything you did and all the lives you changed. You did your job with class and dignity and not always in easy circumstances. Good luck to you in whatever comes next.

I wanted to say something like this but I can't do it any better. I only wish he would have announced his retirement before the last home game so he could have been given the send off he deserved for his 20 years of service. :clap:

1590am just had a nice retirement interview with Coach Rector. It's good that he is being recognized for his career at Barberton.

New coach selection in process

The first interviews are underway. The second round will include administration and superintendents. Then recommendation will be voted on by the BOE. Interview committee consists of parents, students, key folks in the community and current coaches and teachers.

The first interviews are underway. The second round will include administration and superintendents. Then recommendation will be voted on by the BOE. Interview committee consists of parents, students, key folks in the community and current coaches and teachers.

Can you name some of those who have been interviewed?

Cant wait to see Greynolds fail at another school. Will even be harder at Barberton because they have less money/resources/athletes than the other schools he has failed at.

Its ok BigSquirm, Jackie bringing Sawyer wood along with him! I seen his suitcase at the bus stop on Snyder Ave. Got some talent that no one seen in south end. Heard Sawyer wood goin door to door acting like a councilman. ?????

No official list of applicants will be forthcoming due to BOE rules, especially if they are coming from a previous employer. No proof that Reynolds is one of the applicants because no official list will be forthcoming until after the vote on June 8 at the BOE work session. 2 sets of interviews, then a recommendation to the board by the interview committee then a vote. Announcement next Wednesday.

No official list of applicants will be forthcoming due to BOE rules, especially if they are coming from a previous employer. No proof that Reynolds is one of the applicants because no official list will be forthcoming until after the vote on June 8 at the BOE work session. 2 sets of interviews, then a recommendation to the board by the interview committee then a vote. Announcement next Wednesday.

Butch Reynolds did not apply! Jackie Greynolds did apply. Stick to sports writing.

Writing

BHSPORTSWRITER, Has to be Broadwater so welcome back. But I'm sure you do know how to spell Greynolds.

Its ok BigSquirm, Jackie bringing Sawyer wood along with him! I seen his suitcase at the bus stop on Snyder Ave. Got some talent that no one seen in south end. Heard Sawyer wood goin door to door acting like a councilman. ?????
you mean acting like a clown