Jovon Johnson verbals to Ohio U.

Metacomet

Solon outside linebacker Jovon Johnson has accepted a scholarship offer to continue his playing career at Ohio University, according to Bob Fortuna on cleveland.com.

Jovon told Fortuna that Comet RB Kyle Hammonds, who has also committed to OU, helped him make his decision. Johnson explained that he and Hammonds are friends, and will probably room together in college.

Johnson, who has grown to 6-0, 200 pounds, had 58 tackles in 2009, including seven behind the line of scrimmage.

A third Comet, middle linebacker A.J. Hicks, has scholarship offers from Ball State and Youngstown State universities. He has not yet committed.

Last edited:

And the Plain Dealer today, July 10th has another write-up, on page D#3, in headlines, "Solon senior linebacker commits to OU" in the High school newswatch section. Quote " Knowing somebody, especially a teammate and good friend, is going to Ohio University made my decision pretty easy," said Johnson, a 6-0, 200 pounder. "he talked to me a lot about the two of us going to the same college, so we'll probably be roommates."

Johnson accounted for 20 solo tackles, 31 assists and seven tackles for loss last season.
- Bob Fortuna

Best of luck THIS SEASON for the Comets guys, and then as Bobcats. :)

( sorry, the article was also mentioning Comet running back Kyle Hammonds who committed at OU last April)

Congrats to Jovan. This guy plays alot of football for his size..200? Will have to pack on a little more meat to play backer in the MAC. We are 3 weeks away from double days...... getting closer, look for Strongsville as only competiton in the league. How are the young guys looking? We have some serious talent coming that will stack up to the State Runnerup team IMO.

Tough Team to Start

Watched as much as possible of the 7-49 loss at Louisville and saw Jovan Johnson play about half of the LB action for Ohio U. He was credited with 2 tackles & 2 assists.

After not being able to find his former Comet teammate Kyle Hammonds, I checked the OU internet site & could not find his name or any news the past offseason.

Does anyone know what happened Kyle?

I believe he was dismissed from the team Grandpa. I heard JJ left the game injured, but don't know for sure. Terry Bridgewater's 1st two quarters was enough for me. He committed to Miami with 5 of his fellow high school teammates, and then BLOWEE, he went to Louisville. With his buddys. All played for Louisville the past two seasons. Terry will be a star on Sundays. For sure. How about Jake?

JJ had anpther big game for Ohio Univ. this past weekend, took an interception to the house. Chris Humphrey also had another good day for Kent St. He had another TD, 42 yds. and 6 more receptions. But in a losing cause to Bowling Green who look like the class of the MAC with Northern Illinois.