John Beilein to Coach the Cavs?

I suspect Gilbert is trying to help out Michigan State by disrupting the Michigan program. Why make this choice before the ping pong balls drop tomorrow?

This is one of the few guys that I could see going from college to the NBA and being successful. He's one of the best offensive tacticians and culture builders in college basketball. In a rebuild situation with increasing roster flexibility over the next couple of years I could see this working pretty well if he has significant influence over roster management. I would much rather see somebody like this be given a shot to "build a program" at the pro level as opposed to getting another retread coach that's been through 2-3 NBA jobs with middling at best results.

This is one of the few guys that I could see going from college to the NBA and being successful. He's one of the best offensive tacticians and culture builders in college basketball. In a rebuild situation with increasing roster flexibility over the next couple of years I could see this working pretty well if he has significant influence over roster management. I would much rather see somebody like this be given a shot to "build a program" at the pro level as opposed to getting another retread coach that's been through 2-3 NBA jobs with middling at best results.

+1. It's wild that this had almost zero press until it was announced, there wasn't a single leak about him and the Cavs even meeting, at least from what I saw. Funny though that 5 years ago the Cavs nearly pulled Izzo away from college ball in Michigan, now they do pull away Beilein from college ball in Michigan.

Beilein is a great coach. One of the best player development guys in the business, which has to be a big reason why the Cavs wanted him with a young team

He seems like a good coach with an excellent resume. However, this move just screams of Dan Gilbert being overly involved. Curious to see how his previous experience will transition to the NBA

Buckeye honks can look at it this way: The coach from your rival, who has been much more successful than the one you have, won't be around next year.

Nothing about salary or who is on his or I mean Gilbert's staff.He is way better than Lue,very wise on the game no matter who is playing.

scandal coming or maybe he would rather babysit overpaid meady-oakre pre Madonna's in the NBA than beg, plead and lie to HS kids and their families?

scandal coming or maybe he would rather babysit overpaid meady-oakre pre Madonna's in the NBA than beg, plead and lie to HS kids and their families?

no scandal

Maybe he feels he's done all he can with student/athletes, and he wants to try the pros and get paid ?

He's not a screamer. He'll coach three years, and if the team looks ready to compete at the highest level, Gilbert will let him go with 2 years severance and a pat on the back, and sign FAs to win with. Or he'll coach one more and go.

+1. It's wild that this had almost zero press until it was announced, there wasn't a single leak about him and the Cavs even meeting, at least from what I saw. Funny though that 5 years ago the Cavs nearly pulled Izzo away from college ball in Michigan, now they do pull away Beilein from college ball in Michigan.

+2, and def a Gilbert move like chasing Izzo, but Assistant GM Gansey played on a Beilein Mountaineer team.

I would like to see them get a younger assistant coach who could be the heir apparent .... not sure who, maybe one of the ones they interviewed already ... just wondering if that was the plan when they interviewed them?

Kind of sad for college basketball, in that your piece contains this nugget. Last year, when 100 college coaches were asked, "Who do you think is the most honest coach in college basketball?", far and away the top response was "John Beilein".

Is he just shaking the stink off of his shoes and moving on ?

I suspect Gilbert is trying to help out Michigan State by disrupting the Michigan program. Why make this choice before the ping pong balls drop tomorrow?

Haha at some Wolverine tears and a post-Zed lament -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va3MPV8uop0

The fact that Beilein coached in Erie, in western NY, and his son is now coaching at Niagra while most of the rest of his peeps remain in Meetchicken has to make this look even better to Beilein. Gonna see a bit of route 90

This is very odd, Beilein just seems like a college guy. Pro coaches are hired to be fired.

This man will get two players in the draft and will need two or three FA'S for his style of play,maybe a trade for his liking.

Can John get this team to five hundred? I haven't heard any updates on Gilbert lately.

No, this is one of the youngest teams in the league, and will be looking to get the rooks and second year guys as much PT as possible. They will have a record similar to last year

Two very young guards (Garland/Sexton), two slipping veterans (Love/Thompson) and an average 3 (Osman). That doesn't add up to a .500 season. If Love is healthy, they win 30-32 games.