Jim Brown Greatest College Football Player of All-Time?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Thought this was an interesting choice. We see it on this message board where ranking the best HS football players, many times people use their careers in college and the pros to adjust a ranking.

Looking at Jim Brown's stats in college, they were impressive but it seems like he may be getting the benefit of his pro career for the "best all-time college player". What do you think?

I might be a homer, but I'm not sure how the only guy to win the Heisman Trophy twice is not the best COLLEGE player of all time. Not to mention the only guy who was so dominate on defense that he won the award didn't make the top 10. Jim Brown was obviously a great player, but I was surprised he was #1. I also had a hard time with Roger Staubach being the highest rated QB on the list.

Thought Manziel should have been listed even if it was just 2 years
Tebow probably should have been ranked higher too

How can you call the guy the greatest college football player ever when he tied for 22nd best yards per carry in his senior year?

In my lifetime I would say Hugh Green or Ndamukong Suh were two of the most dominate players ever ... Tony Dorsett, Herschel Walker, Tim Tebow, or Earl Campbell greatest careers ... and Barry Sanders greatest season ... very difficult to pick ... just done of the top of my head.

How can you call the guy the greatest college football player ever when he tied for 22nd best yards per carry in his senior year?
Also in his senior year....
He was third in the nation in rushing yards. He played 8 games. Every other player near the top played 10 or 11 games.
He led the nation in rushing touchdowns.
I don't think it would be possible to put someone at the top of the list without getting differing opinions.
After last night Burrow would have to be in the discussion. He probably has more #1s and records than any college player ever.
What an incredible group of players!

Also in his senior year....
He was third in the nation in rushing yards. He played 8 games. Every other player near the top played 10 or 11 games.
He led the nation in rushing touchdowns.

Important notes:
-He tied for the most rushing touchdowns, and 46% of those rushing touchdowns (6) were from 1 game against Colgate
-Melvin Dillard (finished 6th in most rushing yards) played in 9. Don Clark at Ohio State (finished 10th) also played in 9.
-He averaged 19.75 carries a game, good for 4th most in college football in 1956. After the top 4, everyone else in the top 10 averaged between 10.4 and 16.8 carries a game
-He still averaged 6.2 yards per carry, tied for 22nd most in college football that year, which automatically disqualifies him as the best college football player that year, let alone best of all time.

Last edited:
Jim Brown was the correct choice for a variety of reasons. Stats are only one part of the equation but most importantly he basically was the 1st modern RB utilizing size along with speed while at Syracuse. Add in the guy was great at 3 other sports including lacrosse and he might be the best NCAA athlete of all time too.

By the way did anyone else notice Earl Campbell during the ceremony? Dude looked like he had no clue where he was wearing those dark shades and sitting on that stool looking dazed. Dude was a wrecking machine back in the day but it really must have took its toll on him.

I saw a program on LHN (Longhorn Network) some time back that pictured Earl as having problems from the pounding he took carrying the ball. The Tyler Rose was a true diamond.

Tough to argue against Jim Brown but I'd agree his body of work probably went into consideration more than it should.

I could make an argument for about 20 players to some degree.

Important notes:
-He tied for the most rushing touchdowns, and 46% of those rushing touchdowns (6) were from 1 game against Colgate
-Melvin Dillard (finished 6th in most rushing yards) played in 9. Don Clark at Ohio State (finished 10th) also played in 9.
-He averaged 19.75 carries a game, good for 4th most in college football in 1956. After the top 4, everyone else in the top 10 averaged between 10.4 and 16.8 carries a game
-He still averaged 6.2 yards per carry, tied for 22nd most in college football that year, which automatically disqualifies him as the best college football player that year, let alone best of all time.
Says who?

Jim Brown was the correct choice for a variety of reasons. Stats are only one part of the equation but most importantly he basically was the 1st modern RB utilizing size along with speed while at Syracuse. Add in the guy was great at 3 other sports including lacrosse and he might be the best NCAA athlete of all time too.

By the way did anyone else notice Earl Campbell during the ceremony? Dude looked like he had no clue where he was wearing those dark shades and sitting on that stool looking dazed. Dude was a wrecking machine back in the day but it really must have took its toll on him.
If was the best college athlete, I might agree, but the title says football. So NOPE!