IVC 2022

Not many actually. So let's take a sport by sport look at whether Dover would be the instant favorite. This is based on how things have gone since the IVC was expanded in 2016-2017.

Football - Yes, of course.
Volleyball - Never
Boys' Cross Country - No
Girls' Cross Country - No
Boys' Golf - No
Girls' Golf - No
Soccer - IVC doesn't have soccer
Tennis - IVC doesn't have tennis
Boys' Basketball - Yes, but definitely years teams would compete and challenge them
Girls' Basketball - No. Not a chance
Wrestling - No idea. Can't tell you a thing about wrestling
Bowling - IVC doesn't have bowling
Baseball - Probably the favorite but certainly not unbeatable
Softball - They'd avoid Strasburg so they'd be in the mix for sure but not auto favorite
Boys' Track - No
Girls' Track - Probably. Dover and TV have been battling it out in meets for a couple of years now with each winning some.

I'm sure Dover would finish in the top half of the league in pretty much everything but the IVC has some really, really strong programs at the top of almost every sport that Dover isn't beating right now.
Thanks. I know IVC has some strong programs in various sports just was not sure how Dover would fall in. A couple IVC programs have girls soccer. SV, Hiland, Ridgewood maybe 1 or 2 more.

Thanks. I know IVC has some strong programs in various sports just was not sure how Dover would fall in. A couple IVC programs have girls soccer. SV, Hiland, Ridgewood maybe 1 or 2 more.
There are a few boys soccer teams as well. Sandy, Tusky, Hiland have soccer which likely hurts football for them.

But there isn't a league title in either boys or girls soccer in the IVC. They are all independents.

How big of a threat do you guys think central is to win the north?
At this point the North seems pretty bad so maybe they can compete.

Malvern just escaped CV and their QB got hurt but they are still the favorite IMO.
Buckeye Trail is 0-2 but they have played 2 legit opponents so it'll be interesting to see how they do.
Newcs is Newcs. Just happy they won last week.
East Canton has been really bad.
Strasburg is still Strasburg and you can expect much from year one of a new coach in that situation.
TCC's schedule is so bad it's hard to tell. I guess we will see in week 5 when they play TV and we can compare it to Malvern-TV the week before.

Another tough night for the IVC

Garaway 35 - Dalton 0
Ridgewood 7 - Marlington 0
Dover 20 - Indian Valley 6
Canton South 56 - Sandy Valley 30
Tuslaw 38 - Tusky Valley 20
Fairless 35 - Claymont 6

Malvern 28 - Waterloo 20
Newcomerstown 58 - Conotton Valley 44 (Woohoo!)
Southern 34 - East Canton 6
Barnesville 35 - Buckeye Trail 7
Caldwell 66 - Strasburg 0
Wheeling CC 62 - TCC 21

The league goes 4-8 and wasn't even competitive in 7 of the 8 losses. How can the IVC be so good in so many other sports and so bad in football?

The league is now 14-22 in non-conference play.

Some decent matchups in the league this week
Garaway vs Carrollton
IV vs Cambridge
Ridgewood vs west branch

Any others?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The remainder of the week 4 schedule:
Claymont (0-3) at Marietta (1-2)
Sandy Valley (1-2) at Minerva (0-2)
Malvern (3-0) vs. Tusky Valley (0-3)
Newcomerstown (1-2) vs. Sciotoville East (2-1)
Buckeye Trail (0-3) vs. Shenandoah (3-0)
Strasburg (0-3) vs. Conotton Valley (0-3)
East Canton (0-3) vs. St. Thomas Aquinas (0-3), winner of this game gets to exit the discussion of worst team in Stark County for 2022.
Tusky CC (2-1) vs. Montpelier (0-3), Game is scheduled to be played at Clyde on Sat. at 2pm.

East Canton (0-3) vs. St. Thomas Aquinas (0-3), winner of this game gets to exit the discussion of worst team in Stark County for 2022.
Tusky CC (2-1) vs. Montpelier (0-3), Game is scheduled to be played at Clyde on Sat. at 2pm.
Three things come to mind when I look at this.

#1 - I'm so glad the IVC got rid of the required week 4 crossover game. Nobody wants to see those games. I hope they get rid of the week 5 crossovers soon.

#2 - Good for Garaway, Indian Valley, and Ridgewood for going out and scheduling really quality opponents.

#3 - Why is Malvern playing Tusky Valley? Why not go out and schedule quality opponent that can benefit you down the road? What is Malvern going to get out of playing Tusky Valley? The Malvern schedule has been putrid this year..

I think Garaway should be a heavy favorite against Carrollton. Not impressed at all with their opponents so far. Same goes for Cambridge/IV. IV has been battle tested the last 2 weeks. Tall task for the Wood going to a top 5 D4 at their place.

I think Garaway should be a heavy favorite against Carrollton. Not impressed at all with their opponents so far. Same goes for Cambridge/IV. IV has been battle tested the last 2 weeks. Tall task for the Wood going to a top 5 D4 at their place.
I'm just glad that Garaway and IV took advantage of week 4 to schedule actual real opponents. Carrollton and Cambridge are light years better than any IVC North team they would've been stuck playing.

IVC Strength of Schedule according to Drew Pasteur's Fantastic 50 site.

Indian Valley - #48 out of 105 in DIV
Claymont - #59 out of 105 in DIV

Garaway - #53 out of 107 in DV
Sandy Valley #54 out of 107 in DV
Ridgewood - #56 out of 107 in DV

Tusky Valley #42 out of 106 in DVI
Buckeye Trail - #83 out of 106 in DVI
Newcomerstown - #96 out of 106 in DVI
Malvern - #100 out of 106 in DVI

East Canton - #42 out of 105 in DVII
Strasburg - #54 out of 105 in DVII
TCC - #72 out of 105 in DVII

I just think Ridgewood has met it's match, West Branch looks like there the real deal
I think the Pirates are starting to roll now,they should handle Carrollton
How does Indian Valley handle there defeat of Dover,do they enough in tank to beat a pretty decent Cambridge team
Rooting for the big three IVC teams to get some big wins on Friday

I just think Ridgewood has met it's match, West Branch looks like there the real deal
I think the Pirates are starting to roll now,they should handle Carrollton
How does Indian Valley handle there defeat of Dover,do they enough in tank to beat a pretty decent Cambridge team
Rooting for the big three IVC teams to get some big wins on Friday
It's a shame these matchups didn't work out a little differently and we could've gotten a West Branch - Garaway matchup. That would've been something to see.

So after 3 weeks I would say this is what the IVC looks like:

1. Garaway - By far the best team in the league right now
2. Indian Valley - I know they are 1-2 but would be 3-0 too with Ridgewood's schedule.
3. Ridgewood - They will be good as always. 8-2 or 9-1 finish.
4. Sandy Valley - Might be able to pull out a .500 season with Minerva and EC the next two weeks and then Claymont and TV
5. Claymont - 3 winnable games left, can they get one of them?
6. Tusky Valley - Same as Claymont.

1. Malvern - They are 3-0 but are they any good at all?
2. Newcomerstown - 2-1 but the opponents have been bad
3. TCC - 2-1 but once again a very weak schedule.
4. Buckeye Trail - They've played some decent teams so I'll give them that.
5. East Canton - Maybe their BOE was right?
6. Strasburg - Yeah, let's hope they can turn this around at some point

Three things come to mind when I look at this.

#1 - I'm so glad the IVC got rid of the required week 4 crossover game. Nobody wants to see those games. I hope they get rid of the week 5 crossovers soon.

#2 - Good for Garaway, Indian Valley, and Ridgewood for going out and scheduling really quality opponents.

#3 - Why is Malvern playing Tusky Valley? Why not go out and schedule quality opponent that can benefit you down the road? What is Malvern going to get out of playing Tusky Valley? The Malvern schedule has been putrid this year..
I Heard Malvern is beefing up the schedule next year. Gone is E Palestine, Waterloo and Conotton, In is Harrison Central, Berlin Center Western Reserve and Sandy Valley (who they should play every year regardless of crossover games.) Tough to judge how teams are going to be when you schedule 3-4 years in advance.

Last edited:
I Heard Malvern is beefing up the schedule next year. Gone is E Palestine, Waterloo and Conotton, In is Harrison Central, Berlin Center Western Reserve and Sandy Valley (who they should play every year regardless of crossover games.) Tough to judge how teams are going to be when you schedule 3-4 years in advance.
Glad they are improving the schedule but it wasn't tough to judge at all

When was the last time East Palestine Connoton Valley, Waterloo, or Tusky we're any good? Maybe a random year here or there but all four of those programs have been bad for a long time.

Also, they could have gotten out of the Tusky game just like every other team got out of their IVC crossover. Hard to pass up an easy W so I get it but at the end of this year Malvern will have played one good team in 10 games. That's brutal.

Why aren't they playing Sandy Valley this year? It would have made so much more sense for Malvern to play Sandy Valley this week and Minerva to play Tusky Valley. Not that hard to make that happen.

2. Indian Valley - I know they are 1-2 but would be 3-0 too with Ridgewood's schedule.
4. Sandy Valley - Might be able to pull out a .500 season with Minerva and EC the next two weeks and then Claymont and TV

Agreed on most of this. But for Wood to go 8-2, 9-1 would mean Slusser would have to pull a rabbit out of his hat a couple of times potentially. West Branch will be a superior opponent in week 4 on the road. IV IMO is equal at home, and Garaway on the hill in week 10 looks to be the favorite in that game.

Agreed on most of this. But for Wood to go 8-2, 9-1 would mean Slusser would have to pull a rabbit out of his hat a couple of times potentially. West Branch will be a superior opponent in week 4 on the road. IV IMO is equal at home, and Garaway on the hill in week 10 looks to be the favorite in that game.
I don't know why I typed that LOL.

I meant 8-2, 7-3

I feel like this week and Garaway are certain losses

Marietta 20 Claymont 14
Sandy Valley 34 Minerva 6
Malvern 34 Tusky Valley 20
Newcomerstown 34 Sciotoville East 26
Shenandoah 42 Buckeye Trail 6
CV 60 Strasburg 22
East Canton 15 St Thomas 13
TCC 42 Montpelier 13
West Branch 35 Ridgewood 20
Garaway 27 Carrollton 7
Indian Valley 27 Cambridge 20

Marietta 34 Claymont 12
Sandy Valley 40 Minerva 19
Malvern 55 Tusky Valley 12
Sciotoville East 30 Necomerstown 26
Conotton Valley 41 Strasburg 8
East Canton 21 STA 6
TCC 30 Montpeiler 7
West Branch 42 Ridgewood 17
Garaway 28 Carrollton 17
Indian Valley 34 Cambridge 21

20 minute delay at Malvern/TV game. Tusky player leaving in Ambulance. Everyone say a prayer for that young man. 🙏🏼

Last edited:

I agree with most of this but to try to cut on tcc schedule a year after they played 8 playoff teams 3 division 5’s and wheeling who lost in WV state final 4 I just feel like Casey got alittle smarter after having a good team last year with a ridiculous schedule. 16 teams make it you play 5-6 bad teams and win you’re in sadly