IVC 2021

Get a grip? About what comment? What did I say that warrants a “get a grip” comment? There are 7 new starters offensively and 6 defensively from last year. QB has missed half the season and is not 100%, yet they are 8-0, should be happy to be where they are.
Maybe because your referring to fellow Wood fans as Haters and saying everyone is waiting for their "I told you so" moment when we are rooting for the same team. If you can't take a 100% accurate observation that right now Wood is playing inconsistently without going on some crazy diatribe like the world is out to get the Wood then you do indeed need to get a grip.

Everyone on this forum knows Wood is the model program in the IVC. Everyone also knows that Garaway is pushing to close the gap. Garaway has stepped up their game and in order for Wood to stay on top they will need their A game in week 10.

Maybe because your referring to fellow Wood fans as Haters and saying everyone is waiting for their "I told you so" moment when we are rooting for the same team. If you can't take a 100% accurate observation that right now Wood is playing inconsistently without going on some crazy diatribe like the world is out to get the Wood then you do indeed need to get a grip.

Everyone on this forum knows Wood is the model program in the IVC. Everyone also knows that Garaway is pushing to close the gap. Garaway has stepped up their game and in order for Wood to stay on top they will need their A game in week 10.
Where did I refer to Wood fans as the haters? If you felt the shoe fits then wear it. Message was directed to those who hope the Wood fails. Inconsistently winning games is better than losing them. That was my point. If/when Wood loses my respect for the program won’t waiver.

Where did I refer to Wood fans as the haters? If you felt the shoe fits then wear it. Message was directed to those who hope the Wood fails. Inconsistently winning games is better than losing them. That was my point. If/when Wood loses my respect for the program won’t waiver.
Who ever said they hope the Wood fails. I'm confused

i believe that if Trail were to beat East Canton, Malvern would win the North. Correct? Looking forward to the Way/Wood week 10 matchup. I also believe the Vern/Ecanton week 10 matchup will also be good. Lets all hope the IVC is well represented in week 11. I think Wood, Way, IV and Malvern are all going to get in. Maybe E Canton, Trail and Sandy could sneak in... Thoughts?

i believe that if Trail were to beat East Canton, Malvern would win the North. Correct? Looking forward to the Way/Wood week 10 matchup. I also believe the Vern/Ecanton week 10 matchup will also be good. Lets all hope the IVC is well represented in week 11. I think Wood, Way, IV and Malvern are all going to get in. Maybe E Canton, Trail and Sandy could sneak in... Thoughts?
If they were doing 8 teams a region I would be very worried about Sandy's chances to make the playoffs. But with everybody getting a trophy this year and 16 teams getting in they look to be no worse than 11 or 12 because a few of the teams behind them play some quality opponents and Sandy has Tusky left so 6-4 should get them in without issue.

Until next yr when it's 12 but I like 10 teams in the playoffs myself
I don't mind 12 because that means all top 8 seeds get at least one home playoff game. But I can't stress enough how that should be the limit. If given the choice though I would keep it at 8. You still have a chance to make the playoffs but nothing is guaranteed. The regular season means a little more.

Until next yr when it's 12 but I like 10 teams in the playoffs myself
OHSAA changed the playoff format starting this year. The top 16 teams in each region make the playoffs and the top seeded teams will host 2 home playoff games instead of one home game.

OHSAA changed the playoff format starting this year. The top 16 teams in each region make the playoffs and the top seeded teams will host 2 home playoff games instead of one home game.

I thought it was permanent but wasn't sure. The OHSAA loves their money!!

Last night Ridgewood tied their longest regular season winning streak in school history at 27 games. The other winning streak was 1 game in 08, 10-0 in 2009, 10-0 in 2010, and 6 in 2011 until a week 7 loss against liberty center. Pretty remarkable. Hopefully they break the school record this week against the mustangs.
Very impressive,congratulations !

Malvern 50 - TCC 6
Newcomerstown 12 - Strasburg 8
East Canton34 - Buckeye Trail 12
Ridgewood 42 - Claymont 0
Indian Valley 54 - Tusky Valley 6
Garaway 27 - Sandy Valley 6

Saw in the Akron Beacon Journal today that former Strasburg coach Kevin Pollock and his Panthers are 8-0 this year. Always good to see former IVC coaches having success.

Malvern 47 - TCC 12
Newcomerstown 22 - Strasburg 0
Trail 32- East Canton 15
Ridgewood 40 - Claymont 0
Indian Valley 48 - Husky Valley 6
Garaway 31 - Sandy Valley 12

One of the main problems the IVC has is they created two divisions based on enrollment with the idea that enrollment is what determines the quality of a football program. There are plenty of leagues that are dominated by schools in the bottom half of enrollment within that league and plenty of schools that have enrollment advantages but they don't dominate their league.

Instead of focusing on enrollment as the key factor, maybe the key factors should be football tradition, facilities, support from the admin and community, the football culture of the school, etc. Those have way more to do with the success of a football program than enrollment.

I posted this last summer and I will repost it here. I would be a huge fan if the IVC completely eliminated divisions and based their schedule off of a results based formula similar to what the MAC does. Why even be in the same league if you never play each other? That makes no sense at all.

So in the example below the schools are divided into four tiers based on the number of IVC wins over the last two seasons. I made this example prior to the 2020 season so the tiers would change a bit but you get the basic idea. These tiers would be updated every two years so you guarantee home and home games.

The scheduling formula would be that you play 8 IVC games that would include the other two teams within your tier and then you play all three teams in two other tiers. The tiers are assigned so that the top three programs over the last two seasons do not play the bottom three programs over the last two seasons.

Theoretically, this would make it so the top programs all get to play each other (providing better competition) and the bottom programs all get to play each other (providing them a chance to build their programs). As your program has more success you build up to higher tiers and your schedule gets tougher.

So for example, this is how the tiers would have been like for the 2020 season based off IVC wins over the 2018 & 2019 season.

Tier One (Plays Tier Two and Tier Three)
Ridgewood - 13
Indian Valley - 12
Sandy Valley - 12

Tier Two (Plays Tier One and Tier Four)
Garaway - 10
Buckeye Trail - 8
East Canton - 8

Tier Three (Plays Tier One and Tier Four)
TCC - 6
Tusky Valley - 5
Malvern - 5

Tier Four (Plays Tier Two and Tier Three)
Newcomerstown - 3
Claymont - 1
Strasburg - 0

Schedules - 8 Games (2 in your tier + 6 based on standings)

Ridgewood (4,5,6,7,8,9) - Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern
Indian Valley (4,5,6,7,8,9) - Ridgewood, Sandy Valley, Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern
Sandy Valley (4,5,6,7,8,9) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern
Garaway - (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
Buckeye Trail - (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, Garaway, East Canton, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
East Canton - (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, Garaway, Buckeye Trail, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
TCC (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, Tusky Valley, Malvern, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
Tusky Valley (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, TCC, Malvern, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
Malvern (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, TCC, Tusky Valley, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
Newcomerstown (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) - Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern, Claymont, Strasburg
Claymont (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) - Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern, Newcomerstown, Strasburg
Strasburg (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) - Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern, Newcomerstown, Claymont

You can all look at your team's schedule based on the idea and see what you would think of it. I feel like in most cases the schedule would be better than it is now or at worse the same. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure the same concept could be refined and made better but this was just a starting point I came up with based on MAC scheduling.

I would say this schedule has huge plusses for teams like Tusky Valley, Strasburg, Claymont and TCC because it gives them all 4 games they should be able to reasonably compete in and maybe win. Maybe that could help get these programs back on their feet and would make the league belter as a whole.

I would also say this is a better schedule for probably 9 or 10 of the teams. There are a few that it would be tougher for but once again it's only for two years.

It's also better for the AD's because they only need to find 2 non conference games and you get an additional game vs. a local team (week 3) that will likely provide good attendance as it will be IVC vs IVC in good weather.
So I am going to backtrack to this post from a few weeks ago.

I was looking at the predictions on here from this week and thinking about the results from the last two weeks and I realized something ironic. There has been all of this momentum to get rid of the IVC crossover games and yet if you look at the games the crossover weeks were the two most competitive weeks the IVC has had.

Weeks 4 & 5 (crossovers) - 9 total games
3 games ended with running clocks (and we can assume 4 with RW and Strasburg)
3 games decided by a score or less (Ridgewood vs. EC, Malvern vs. Sandy, Claymont vs. Buckeye Trail)

Weeks 6, 7 & 8 (divisions) - 17 total games
11 games ended with running clocks
2 games decided by a score or less (Ridgewood & Indian Valley, Malvern & BT) and we can stretch it to 3 because IV-Garaway was a great game.

If you look at this week's slate of games, it is likely that there will be at least 4 running clock games and it could be 5 or 6. Week 10 looks a little better but there are still some crazy mismatches.

Obviously some running clocks are unavoidable when you have such disparity in programs in the IVC but is there really any reason Ridgewood and Claymont should be playing each other in their current state? The only reason they are is some number on a piece of paper (enrollment) that says absolutely nothing about the merit or accomplishments of the program.

I really wish the IVC would get rid of divisions and find a scheduling method that matched up all of the top teams and the matched up all of the bottom teams. It would be so much better for the league and preparing for the playoffs, it would be better for the top programs, better for the bottom programs, better for the fans who might see good games and better for the athletes.

malvern 35 - Tcc 14
newc. 28 - strausburg 0
trail 28 - east canton 21
ridgewood 56 - claymont 7
iv 35 - tv 0
garaway 42 - sandy valley 21

Sponsored by our friends at Little Caesars Pizza New Philadelphia

Watch The Big Time Sports ? show with Charlie Jones!

Charlie welcomes in the Strasburg Tigers ? ? team to the show to talk about their season in the IVC & learn more about their players!

Also about crossover games in the IVC!

Tcc 14- Malvern 13
Newc. 35- Strasburg 0
trail-35- Ec 21
ridgewood 28- claymont 21
iv 42- tv 0
garaway 35- sv 27
Malvern 34 - TCC 7
Newc 14 - Strasburg 13
East Canton 28 - Trail 14
Ridgewood However many Slusser wants to score to 0
IV a bunch - TV 0
I plead the 5th on Garaway SV. Hoping its closer than the rest of you think.

Tcc 14- Malvern 13
Newc. 35- Strasburg 0
trail-35- Ec 21
ridgewood 28- claymont 21
iv 42- tv 0
garaway 35- sv 27
Ridgewood will be running clock to start the 3rd quarter.
Garaway should be running clock by the start of the 4th quarter.
Guy I work with said IV is already resting some starters this week after getting banged up against Garaway and Ridgewood but still expecting them to be running clock early in the 3rd quarter.
On paper, Buckeye Trail and East Canton looks to be the best game in the IVC this week.

The battle of the undefeated, for the IVC championship. This should be an exciting one. Who wins?
I want to give the advantage to the Pirates because of their defensive line. But it’s at Ridgewood and they have Tingle. So I’m going to have to give this one a little more thought. Me and some buddies are making the trip to watch this game. It’s going to be a great one!

The battle of the undefeated, for the IVC championship. This should be an exciting one.
The battle of the undefeated, for the IVC championship. This should be an exciting one. Who wins?
Going to be a great game. I think Ridgewood has an advantage with it being at home. Very tough place to play ,and the Generals have not lost at home since 2017. To be the man you have to beat the man. Should be an instant classic, can’t wait!

Last edited: