IVC 20 - 21

Going to the Final Four is all that is cracked up to be - Coach Miller took TCC to the Final four and in a few short years they let him go - don't compare TCC to anyone, a few parents complained, the AD went and hid. That administration is the biggest joke in Tuscarawas county. One big happy family both girls and boys win the league and get bounced in the first round of the tournament what an embarrassment.

Five IVC teams have advanced to Districts.

Tusky Valley vs. McConnelsville Morgan
Ridgewood vs. Fort Frye
Malvern vs. Shenandoah
Strasburg vs. Hiland

I don't have anything against Malvern. I hope like hell you win state this year. That would be great. I just think you are overrating Malvern's "tradition" when it comes to basketball.

Hiland's tradition obviously speaks for itself. After Hiland, Garaway probably has the most IVC titles and Garaway has had tournament success reaching all the way to the state title game. Strasburg has also won several IVC titles and they rank in the top 10 in wins in Ohio all time.

I don't know the numbers but I would guess TCC has more IVC titles than Malvern as well. I know TCC has been to state before as well.

Indian Valley is complicated. Modern day Indian Valley certainly isn't tradition-laden on the hardwood but when you go back to the Indian Valley South & Indian Valley North days they certainly have more tradition than Malvern.

So from traditional IVC schools that leaves Ridgewood and Newcomerstown that would be looking up to Malvern in terms of basketball tradition.
I've believe if you do some checking Malvern is 26-6 against Strasburg in the last 15 years and probably better against TCC I think they beat them 4 years straight in the tournament and the only team in my opinion the Hornets have to look up to in the IVC as far as a winning tradition is Hiland

I've believe if you do some checking Malvern is 26-6 against Strasburg in the last 15 years and probably better against TCC I think they beat them 4 years straight in the tournament and the only team in my opinion the Hornets have to look up to in the IVC as far as a winning tradition is Hiland

You realize basketball has been around longer than 15 years right?

Strasburg's record against Malvern in 2017, 2018, and 2019 was Strasburg - 6 wins and 2 losses with 3 straight IVC Titles for the Tigers. Plus the Tigers beat Malvern once during this current 2020-2021 season so that makes 7 victories in just 5 years. Also the Tiger team earned a 3-way IVC Title this current year of 2021.

Last edited:
Going to the Final Four is all that is cracked up to be - Coach Miller took TCC to the Final four and in a few short years they let him go - don't compare TCC to anyone, a few parents complained, the AD went and hid. That administration is the biggest joke in Tuscarawas county. One big happy family both girls and boys win the league and get bounced in the first round of the tournament what an embarrassment.
Welcome to 2020. The spineless still run some of these school districts

According to the old IVC website here are the IVC basketball records of various teams through 2014.

Hiland - 433-153
Garaway - 401-183
Strasburg - 287-285
Malvern - 287-299
Ridgewood 286-300
TCC - 281-295
Newcomerstown - 190-396 :(

IVC league championships by school through 2014.

Hiland - 19
Garaway - 11
Ridgewood - 5
Strasburg - 5
TCC - 4
Malvern - 1
Newcomerstown - 1

According to the old IVC website here are the IVC basketball records of various teams through 2014.

Hiland - 433-153
Garaway - 401-183
Strasburg - 287-285
Malvern - 287-299
Ridgewood 286-300
TCC - 281-295
Newcomerstown - 190-396 :(

IVC league championships by school through 2014.

Hiland - 19
Garaway - 11
Ridgewood - 5
Strasburg - 5
TCC - 4
Malvern - 1
Newcomerstown - 1
ok I'll give it to you Malvern was awful most years before Tucci arrived in his 28 years at the helm of the Hornets they have posted a 452-212 record Hiland is 51-6 and Garaway is 28-26 Strasburg is 20-42 Sandy Valley is 10-32 TCC is 19-45 so in my opinion Garaway is a wash and Hiland is still the only IVC team the Hornets need to look up to and have developed a winning tradition also on Friday hoping we cut in to the Hawks lead and make it 51-7

ok I'll give it to you Malvern was awful most years before Tucci arrived in his 28 years at the helm of the Hornets they have posted a 452-212 record Hiland is 51-6 and Garaway is 28-26 Strasburg is 20-42 Sandy Valley is 10-32 TCC is 19-45 so in my opinion Garaway is a wash and Hiland is still the only IVC team the Hornets need to look up to and have developed a winning tradition also on Friday hoping we cut in to the Hawks lead and make it 51-7

Tucci has been great for the Malvern program and hopefully he still has a few years left in him and when he leaves Malvern hires someone who can build on what he has done. I'd still put you behind Garaway though even during the Tucci era because Garaway has several IVC titles and they've been to state.

As far as the record vs. Hiland, I think you will get win #7 vs. the Hawks Friday night. This is not your typical Hiland team and this is a really talented Malvern team. You guys should control this game.

Tucci has been great for the Malvern program and hopefully he still has a few years left in him and when he leaves Malvern hires someone who can build on what he has done. I'd still put you behind Garaway though even during the Tucci era because Garaway has several IVC titles and they've been to state.

As far as the record vs. Hiland, I think you will get win #7 vs. the Hawks Friday night. This is not your typical Hiland team and this is a really talented Malvern team. You guys should control this game.
I agree with that.

This would be a more "typical" Hiland team if they didn't lose their top 2 players before the season even began. Lol.

But I think if Hiland wins, it will be because of Mark Schlabach. Den's record speaks for itself, so that is not in any way a slight to him. I have already seen several times over the years where Malvern has had most of the advantages, but Hiland came out with the win. Schlabach seems to always have the game plan to beat every opponent and his kids pull it off more often than not.

A guy was telling me the other day that he thought this was his best coaching job considering the injuries, the talent level and size on the roster, and the weirdness of the COVID season. Winning the south division and a sectional title, and getting to the district finals is far beyond what many people expected.

Should be a fun few hours tomorrow night, and, regardless of the outcome, an IVC team will be in the regional.

I agree with that.

This would be a more "typical" Hiland team if they didn't lose their top 2 players before the season even began. Lol.

But I think if Hiland wins, it will be because of Mark Schlabach. Den's record speaks for itself, so that is not in any way a slight to him. I have already seen several times over the years where Malvern has had most of the advantages, but Hiland came out with the win. Schlabach seems to always have the game plan to beat every opponent and his kids pull it off more often than not.

A guy was telling me the other day that he thought this was his best coaching job considering the injuries, the talent level and size on the roster, and the weirdness of the COVID season. Winning the south division and a sectional title, and getting to the district finals is far beyond what many people expected.

Should be a fun few hours tomorrow night, and, regardless of the outcome, an IVC team will be in the regional.

Mark always does a fantastic job. The IVC South this season was won by Tusky Valley.

Mark always does a fantastic job. The IVC South this season was won by Tusky Valley.
Thanks for the correction. Let's change that to "a 10-2 second in the south". Still, pretty good for that group.

As far as coaching, size, and talent goes: coaching can take you a long way in the tournament, but eventually you run into a team that has more of it than you do in some or all of those areas. Malvern would seem to be our best shot at going the farthest unless Mark has a "Hoosiers" in him.

Last edited:
I agree with that.

Coaching is by far the most important aspect of a high school sports program. That's why you see the same schools year after year having success. As Wack7 stated earlier, Malvern was horrible pre-Tucci and in his era they've been a very good program. Hiland is good year after year. The list of examples can keep going.

It also goes the other way unfortunately. Some schools underachieve year after year after year.

I saw Strasburg posted their updated all time record. 1490-793 I think it was.

Anybody know any other IVC team's all-time records?

Hiland is 1084-407 up to this season. I think they are 17-8 going into tonight, so that would make them 1101-415 if my math checks out.

Malvern 12 Hiland 9 end of 1.

Hornets 20 Hawks 18 at half.

Amish Pacifists 32 Fighting Tuccis 31 end of 3.

44-43 Hawks with 1 min to go.

Hawks win it. Remarkably.

48-43 final.

Last edited:
Tucci gets outcoached again. How many times does this happen when he has the better players.
This is why Malvern is not a traditional power an is behind the Hilands of the area.