It’s Time for a Shot Clock

topperbounce

Defend the Hill
I went to a game last night and watched a team who was up 10 with 3:30 left in the game perform the weave and play keep away for 1:00 until the other team had to eventually overly gamble and gave up a lay up. In my opinion this is NOT basketball. In a real basketball game, when there’s 3:30 left with a team down 10, there’s a chance they could come back. Without a shot clock it’s nearly impossible for a team to comeback in that scenario.

How many states play HS basketball with a shot clock?

Does Ohio not have one because of cost for equipment?

How would the shot clock get approved for Ohio basketball?

Sorry. Relatively new to the basketball forum. Just wanted to get opinions and answers to my questions. I can delete it if you want.
He's right but there are no thread cops here and a thread on a many times repeated topic is hardly rare, with the same posters saying the same thing. New one, new voices.

BTW: You're wrong.
Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Studios 2016
:D

Sorry. Relatively new to the basketball forum. Just wanted to get opinions and answers to my questions. I can delete it if you want.
No need to be sorry. My response probably wasn't warranted so I am the one that should be sorry.

It gets bantered about in here all the time. There are multiple threads but they are probably buried in here now that the season is going.

It will probably happen at some point but I personally don't think we need a shot clock in high school.

You will get lots of opinions on this so don't delete this. It's usually a good discussion.

Whether or not it happens any time soon. Lexington put shot clocks in there new gymnasium at the new high school. Also heard Fremont Ross put in their new high school gym as well. I personally wouldn't be opposed to it. But can the smaller school districts afford to do it. Also you may need to add personal to run the shot clocks. Also how would a shot clock rule would effect the running clock rule that is now in effect in Ohio. Which I personally don't like.

I would imagine the delay in implementing a shot clock is because of the cost. How many other states currently play with a shot clock?

Just extremely frustrating watching what I witnessed last night transpire. The team up did nothing wrong, but it’s not basketball.

I would imagine the delay in implementing a shot clock is because of the cost. How many other states currently play with a shot clock?

Just extremely frustrating watching what I witnessed last night transpire. The team up did nothing wrong, but it’s not basketball.
Dean Smith would disagree

I am old school..and old 🤣…but I think a shot clock is a good idea…and will get here eventually…I think there are about 10 states with the shot clock. I saw a few games in New York (upstate, not city) with a shot clock and it was a good watch…offense wasn’t rushed at all but it was…sharper? It seemed more efficient…harder cuts and screens…less passing up open looks…the scores weren’t any higher and it wasn’t a track meet…I think there were about 4 shot clock violations so not bad…now waiting to be roasted here lol

Learn to play defense. Shot clock would be ok but this intentionally fouling to try to come back needs dealt with, perhaps give the team that was fouled the option of taking the ball out instead of shooting foul shots.

As a traditionalist there was no shot clock when Naismith invented the game.
They also played 9v9 and there was a jump ball after every basket…and the basket had no hole in the bottom…after each bucket they took a ladder and retrieved the ball out of the basket ..and the initial games had no clock at all…is that what you are advocating? 🤣…games change and evolve…it happens…I played with no 3 point line but I like it now (although it should be eliminated from grade and middle school ball)…if you want to stop the endless fouling at the end it is simple: when a team is fouled (non shooting) and they are in the bonus , during the last 2 minutes they get 2 free throws and the ball…if you like it how it is currently played that is fine as well. I toy with this idea as well….a team that is fouled shooting a 3 get 3 shots, from the top of the 3 point line..would stop the rip throughs, unnatural shooting motions and jumping into defenders…I do prefer the old charge call…you have to be there and set…seems like nowadays a guy is heading to the bucket and someone jumps in front of them and gets the call…don’t care for that…also don’t care for backing a guy down by repeatedly bumping him out of the way…that IS a charge…if the offense can bully a defender out of the way, the defender should be allowed to shove them back 😎

If it could guarantee a freer flowing game and higher scores then let's try it. I actually don't think it will do either.

Hate the idea. I like the cat and mouse decision to stall and protect a lead vs continue to try to add to it. Of course I also prefer contest in the 20's and 30's for scoring,

If the world's most popular sport gets about 2-3 total points per match why does basketball need so many?

Although I haven't seen any basketball games in person since 2012, the thought of a shot clock first came into my mind decades ago after seeing a game so dull someone actually threw an object onto the floor. On the other hand, I doubt if a lot of coaches would go for the idea.

It's unnecessary? What is the average posessiin time in HS today? For a lot of teams I would be surprised if it was greater than 40 seconds.

There are easier rules to implement to get the all quarter ball holds out of the game. ( which rarely happen)

Keep HS unique leave the shot clock for the upper levels.

Last edited:
Average time of a possession is terribly flawed…fast breaks…turnovers …offensive rebounds skew the number….to get an accurate picture you would need to graph it and calculate the standard deviation…identify the outliers…or much more simply eliminate the outliers and average the time of possession in a half court set…my guess is 30 seconds…maybe 35…so a shot clock would not effect average half court possessions much…it would eliminate deliberately holding the ball longer to preserve a lead. The 2 games I saw in Ithica, NY were both final scores in the 50’s.

Average time of a possession is terribly flawed…fast breaks…turnovers …offensive rebounds skew the number….to get an accurate picture you would need to graph it and calculate the standard deviation…identify the outliers…or much more simply eliminate the outliers and average the time of possession in a half court set…my guess is 30 seconds…maybe 35…so a shot clock would not effect average half court possessions much…it would eliminate deliberately holding the ball longer to preserve a lead. The 2 games I saw in Ithica, NY were both final scores in the 50’s.
Thanks Ram good stuff. Tweaking the 5 second closely guarded rule to force passing would solve the problem. Add to the closely guarded that you can only get 2 "resets" and by third you must pass or shot or timeout or lose possession. I can't solve all problems at once but can sure try.

Last edited:
I have never understood why anyone would correlate higher scores with better games. That makes no sense whatsoever.
Depends on your perspective of better I guess.
I think average fans would rather watch baskets than rebounds or passes

As a player I preferred to score the basket vs
def.

If I am a coach better could defintly be poor fg% caused by my defense.

I have never understood why anyone would correlate higher scores with better games. That makes no sense whatsoever.
It is NOT higher scores…it is flow of the game. Like I stated: both high school games I saw with a shot clocked ended with scores in the 50’s. Should we eliminate the play clock in football so a team with the lead can simply refuse to snap the ball?

I saw Holgate play for the first time in the early 2000's down at the state championships. Final score was something like 25-20 or less. I was in awe of their ball possession skills, ability to run their offense until they had a wide-open layup, execution of the game plan and the coaches ability to get the players to buy into team success over personal stats. They did not have freakish athletes and were not very deep, but did have very skilled basketball players. The style they played allowed them to compete with and beat the more athletic teams. I enjoyed every minute of that game by appreciating the skills the players possesed and their ability to execute the game plan. Add in a shot-clock, and I'm guessing that team doesn't come close to making it to Columbus.

No way I could watch a high school game with a 25-20 final…that is like watching paint dry or 4th grade rec…i would have used my entire bench to put them in the bonus in the first quarter…no team shoots 100% from the line…you want slow and boring? How about watching 40-50 free throws 🤣