Inter Valley Athletic Conference

I have not talked to Donnie Spinell although I trust what the talking heads are telling me.
Conottton Valley has told league members they want to play football in the conference.
The overwhelming majority of the north want to try to make this happen although the south doesn't.
All north athletic administrators voted to do away with cross divisional contests, the southern athletic administrators all voted to continue cross divisional contests. Indian Valley and Ridgewood are the strong pushers who are behind keeping the cross divisional contests.

Today the north athletic administrators met to discuss forming a new league with East Canton, Malvern, Strasburg, Tuscarawas Central Catholic, Conottton Valley, Newcomerstown & Buckeye Trail. I can not confirm if all schools participated. There are other schools being discussed but I do not know who they are. I have been told the small schools would accept, Tusky, Sandy & Garaway to form an even number. I am unsure if there are schools who are not in the IVC being discussed.

Here is the wild card the small schools will make a run at current IVC commissioner Donnie Spinnell to run the new league if they choose to break away. I do not know if this is something Commissioner Spinell would consider but a well respected man who has done everything could go out & retire on the creation of a new league.

I will post updates as I hear them.

Last edited:

I count 7

why would they invite 3? why not just 1 for the even 8 teamer so many leagues tend to stick to?

Sorry for not explaining that clearly. They will get to 8 and Sandy and Tusky are on the wish list. If that dont work I don't know who they will turn to out of conference.

Garaway is off the wish list.

Merely watching how the multi division set ups that popped up in the greater northeastern part of the state have nearly all separated into different leagues. So from one league comes a second and correct me if I'm wrong but would leave Claymont, Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Garaway, Hiland?, and possibly TV and/or SV. Which would be enough to start a solid league, just need one or two more???

Merely watching how the multi division set ups that popped up in the greater northeastern part of the state have nearly all separated into different leagues. So from one league comes a second and correct me if I'm wrong but would leave Claymont, Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Garaway, Hiland?, and possibly TV and/or SV. Which would be enough to start a solid league, just need one or two more???
Possible Minerva?

We talked a little bit about this in the 2020 IVC thread. I'll say this, if this isn't true I have to wonder why it isn't true. It makes absolutely no sense for the North schools to be a part of the IVC as it is currently set up. You are always going to be looked down on because you are the "small schools." This happens in every league that has these dumb two division setups. In the IVC it's even worst because the small schools have to get beat up in crossovers and showcases in football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, & softball.

To me this is an absolute no brainer for East Canton, Malvern, Strasburg, Tuscarawas Central Catholic, Conotton Valley & Newcomerstown. It's a little more dicey for Buckeye Trail considering the travel and if you go with just those 7 you either need to be willing to play a league with 6 if Buckeye Trail decides the travel is too much at some point or get some type of long term commitment from Trail. If you can get that, those 7 schools should do this tomorrow.

As far as Sandy Valley, I could definitely see Sandy Valley saying yes to this. Sandy seemed perfectly happy in the North and their main rivals (East Canton and Sandy Valley) would be in this new league. That would give you 7 or 8 depending on Trail.

I'm not so sure about Tusky Valley. Didn't they just leave the North to join the South? From what I understand, they wanted that move. Am I wrong about that?

Can anyone give me a reason why it would make sense for East Canton, Malvern, Strasburg, Tuscarawas Central Catholic, Conotton Valley & Newcomerstown to stay in the current IVC? How does the league benefit them in any way?

Last edited:
Buckeye Trail is committed to the small schools. I know that with almost 100% certainty.

Newcomerstown, TCC & Strasburg are great trips
Conottton Valley gives them an OVAC game
East Canton, Sandy Valley and Malvern are not awful trips. Mind you, the people of Buckeye Trail traveled to Frontier (1hr 15 min), Fort Frye (1 hr), River (1 hr 15 min) and Monroe Central (1 hr) for years. These trips are not bad and much better travel than the previous PVC trips.

I did hear if things don't work w Sandy or if both Sandy and Tusky want to come that a school further south than BT would be an option.

This is happening and happening quick. My guess is the next meeting will either give the small schools what they want or they will inform the league of their intent to leave.

Buckeye Trail is committed to the small schools. I know that with almost 100% certainty.

Newcomerstown, TCC & Strasburg are great trips
Conottton Valley gives them an OVAC game
East Canton, Sandy Valley and Malvern are not awful trips. Mind you, the people of Buckeye Trail traveled to Frontier (1hr 15 min), Fort Frye (1 hr), River (1 hr 15 min) and Monroe Central (1 hr) for years. These trips are not bad and much better travel than the previous PVC trips.

I did hear if things don't work w Sandy or if both Sandy and Tusky want to come that a school further south than BT would be an option.

This is happening and happening quick. My guess is the next meeting will either give the small schools what they want or they will inform the league of their intent to leave.

So what is that the small schools want? Is it as simple as eliminating crossovers? Even then, what's the value of being the "small school" division? You will always be looked down upon.

The small schools want to eliminate one cross divisional contest.
I do not think the small schools care if they are looked down upon. The Div-4 teams should always beat the Div-6 teams and the Div-5 teams should always beat the Div-7 teams.
What's the value of beating teams two divisions smaller than you, you will always be looked down upon by the good teams in your region.
Best example, Garaway.

I do not think the small schools care if they are looked down upon. The Div-4 teams should always beat the Div-6 teams and the Div-5 teams should always beat the Div-7 teams.
What's the value of beating teams two divisions smaller than you, you will always be looked down upon by the good teams in your region.
Best example, Garaway.
Best example, Garaway.

Why settle for just eliminating one if you can just leave and create your own league? There's no reason to stay especially if you can get both Sandy and Buckeye Trail and you are at 8. Once again, what reason do they have to stay in the IVC?

You make a good point. The case that COULD be levied is for flexibility of being in a larger conference aligning schools travel wise during the inclement weather months. Also for the invitational sports being able to have a larger pool of participants.

However even if there are two leagues I could still see the larger pool of schools still appearing upon each others schedules. SO I end up agreeing if 8 is the magic number and having any crossovers is distasteful to a mass, then it would behoove them to explore being their own governing body.

This falls in line with what has been happening to the tiered conferences in Northeastern Ohio.

Commissioner Spinnell predicted this recently, to the big school AD's most notably Ridgewood, Indian Valley & Garaway, that if you don't bend a little they are just going to leave. It does appear to be happening. Hopefully, the big schools decide to give a little. Look at it this way, do you want one cross divisional contest that you are going to win 90% of the time, or no cross divisional contests?

I talked to a respected South division athletic administrator today at a junior high event. After that talk I now know there will not be a new conference formed because the North schools will get their wish.

Is elimination of crossovers, but allowing schools to fill weeks 4&5 if they elect to that much of a hurdle for the South schools?
I only see IV and Ridgewood as the schools that may be looking and if they have no problem playing schools 1 to 2 divisions lower then maybe they will play schools 1 to 2 divisions higher? That would create a large pool to select from and it sounds like football scheduling is the only issue. Eliminate crossovers and move forward.

Not what I said at all buckeyenation.........I asked why would they be considered for the small school division??????, or better yet, why would they want to??? If schools such as Ridgewood, D5, Garaway D5, Indian Valley D4, are possibly starting their own, all just talk right now, wouldn't they want to join and play teams their size??????

Ridgewood, Indian Valley and Garaway will not start their own league at this point in time. That is an idea being thrown around by Ridgewood but does not have wings and thought of as a bad idea by many.

The north and south division are going to meet halfway and have one cross divisional contest rather than two.

Why would those three schools, most especially Indian Valley, do such a thing. You are getting 4 guaranteed wins each year (Claymont, Sandy Valley, Tusky Valley and the one cross divisional game). On top of that two of those teams are gaining another win (maybe 2) by playing each other.

There you have out of 6 games, you have 5 wins that is pretty much in the bag.

If the Athletic Administrators at those three schools can't build 6 and 7 win seasons on the bad years then there are much bigger problems.

The IVC should split into 2 separate leagues.

League #1 - Strasburg, TCC, Malvern, Conotton Valley, Buckeye Trail, Newcomerstown and East Canton
League #2 - Ridgewood, Garaway, Sandy Valley, Tusky Valley, Indian Valley, Claymont and Hiland in all other sports.

Those are two solid leagues in terms of competitive makeup and you don't have any of this division nonsense.

if the small schools (league #1) start a league add Sandy to make 8 always been rivals with Malvern and East Canton mark it down and Strasburg going back to old senate league days

if the small schools (league #1) start a league add Sandy to make 8 always been rivals with Malvern and East Canton mark it down and Strasburg going back to old senate league days

That would be fine with me. This two division league thing is just stupid though.

There is smoke that Matt Colvin could be trying to create a new league with some IVC schools. However, it's just smoke and isn't going to come to fruition.

Why would Ridgewood ever leave? They are one of the founding schools. do not dominate the league by any stretch and fit perfectly enrollment wise. Wood, Garaway. Sandy, tusky, buckeye Trail, Newcs are all within twenty boys of each other enrollment wise. And in two years the lower league will be a perfect fit for them when there numbers are low. They will be glad they dont have to play crossovers against claymont and IV. I could see claymont and IV leaving bc of size or even strasburg. conotton, tcc and malvern bc of enrollment.

Glad to see some type of movement here, especially away from the crossover games the benefit only the "big" schools. TCC, Strasburg, Malvern, Trail, Newcomerstown, and East Canton would be a nice league. If I'm not mistaken, every team (perhaps not NC) has beaten the other since the formation. Would be nice for competitive balance and allow the teams to schedule more non-conference games with other teams.

Glad to see some type of movement here, especially away from the crossover games the benefit only the "big" schools. TCC, Strasburg, Malvern, Trail, Newcomerstown, and East Canton would be a nice league. If I'm not mistaken, every team (perhaps not NC) has beaten the other since the formation. Would be nice for competitive balance and allow the teams to schedule more non-conference games with other teams.

Looking at it purely from the competitive and computer point view, obviously a win is better than a loss. However, I'd argue that in any given year, only a couple schools out of the 12 or so that play football in the IVC are benefitting from the crossover games. The numbers show that the bigger schools win the lion's share of these games, but aside from beating the top couple teams from the smaller division, the wins over the other smaller division schools aren't yielding enough computer points to help the bigger schools keep pace in the computer region. If the smaller schools are winning any crossovers, they're usually beating bigger schools that also are not yielding enough computer points to help the smaller schools keep pace in the computer region.

I'll assume the financial benefit of most of these crossovers is also lacking since many of them end up being blowouts and are expected to be blowouts before the game ever begins.

In other words, yeah, dump the crossovers, or at least cut it back to one crossover game and see how that looks for a couple years. If teams in opposite divisions want to play as part of their nonleague schedules, then have at it.

The MAC eventually learned that they could improve their teams' chances of making the playoffs if they reduced their league schedule from 9 games to 8. 10-team league, and instead of playing everyone, they get an extra nonleague game. The MAC made the change from playing everyone in the league to playing all but 1 in 2008. AFAIK, which teams don't play each other is somewhat based on order of finish and is refigured on a 2-year basis. The top tier of teams from the previous years will all play each other as will the bottom tier of teams. As a perennial bottom feeder, New Bremen didn't have to play Marion Local in 2018 and 2019. After going 2-8 in 2016 and 3-7 in 2017, New Bremen narrowly missed the playoffs in 2018 at 6-4. In 2019, they narrowly made the playoffs at 7-3 and made it to the regional final where they lost to Marion Local of all teams. Replace either of their 2 nonleague wins in 2019 with a regular season loss to Marion Local, and they're not only out of the playoffs, but the team New Bremen beat in week 2 finishes in the 8th spot instead of New Bremen. That 2019 playoff run was great experience to set them up for this year's state title run.

The bottom line for this casual observer is that the IVC has a lot going for it across multiple sports, so I'd hate to see it fall apart completely due to an issue like crossover games in football that can be fixed for the benefit of the vast majority of the league's members.