IMG Academy versus Duncanville

sa68ag

Interesting game this weekend between IMG Academy from Florida against Duncanville, Texas.
IMG is # 1 in USA Today and D'ville is #2. Duncanville has been 6A large school division state runner-up to Galena Park North Shore the last two years.

IMG is the ultimate recruiting football factory recruiting kids from all over the country. Duncanville is a public school south of Dallas that produces a number of college prospects each year. Top Texas schools have played teams that recruit heavily with mixed results.
Trinity beat De LaSalle a couple of years ago; Bishop Gorman of Las Vegas beat Cedar Hill handily and last year Duncanville beat St Johns out of DC easily.

The game is Saturday at noon in the DFW area.

As a follow-up IMG best D-ville easily 41-14.

As the season progressed D-ville lost in the state semis to Southlake Carroll 34-27. I watched this game on TV and was really surprised how easily SLC moved the ball.

SLC faced an excellent Austin Westlake team in the finals. Westlake came from behind to beat Galena Park Northshore which was ranked #2 in the country at the time 24-21. I watched this game also. Northshore was lead by three top D-1 recruits - All headed to the SEC with one going to Bama, another to Auburn and a third going To A&M. They had several 4 star underclassmen and a 5 star underclassman. A very talented and well coached team.

Westlake has another prime time QB - a junior named Cade Klubnik who will likely follow Drew Brees and Nick Foles to the NFL. Westlake, surprisingly to me, had a great defense, Their defensive line pretty much dominated NS the entire game.

The finals between Westlake and SLC was a classic match-up between two of the most heralded programs in Texas HS history.
The head coach at Westlake was Todd Dodge ,a former headcoach at SLC , who lead them to multiple state championships.
The head coach at SLC was Riley Dodge -Todd's son- who was one of the QBs who lead SLC to a state championship.

SLC's QB was a junior who is ranked as the number 1 overall player in the nation by at least one recruiting service. The Westlake QB was rated a 4 star player.

Klubnick outplayed the SLC QB and Westlake handily rolled over SLC 52-34 in a game that wasn't as close as the final score due to a couple of late SLC scores in garbage time and dad Todd taking his foot off the pedal a little bit toward the end.

After watching all the Texas championship games Westlake was clearly the best IMO. I thought Northshore was the second best team in the stat followed by Katy ( the 6A division two champ) and maybe Denton Ryan - a 5A champ. Overall I thought D-ville probably was the 5th best team in TExas.

I think Westlake would give IMG a much more competitive game but IMG's talent edge would be too much to overcome.