Ignatius Basketball

arizonawildcat

I notice that there are two freshman on the varsity. Is this a sign that these kids are really good, or that the team is not up to its usual standads? The last freshman I remember making the varisty was Joey Roberts back in the 80's.

Freshmen:
Effertz received reasonable PT in the Lutheran East varsity game.

Bodamer DNP vs LE. He was the starting QB for the undefeated freshmen football team. Also a left hander. Must be a pretty good athlete if QB in football and on the varsity basketball roster.

Joey Rey played varsity as a freshman in 1989. Great player.
Chase Toppin (now a junior) and Tevin Jackson (now a junior, who transferred this year to Central Catholic) played on the varsity during the 2017 post season tournament.
Rudy Kirbus played varsity as a freshman in 2003.

Any player that plays varsity anything as a freshman at Ignatius is no doubt and elite athlete. Rey was special though, Immediate impact as a freshman starter and dominant by sophomore season.

Nice win for the Wildcats vs Cleveland Heights and their 6'10" Louisville recruit Jae'lyn Withers, 61-59
Balanced scoring with Davet -12, Toppin and Hanna each - 10
Underclassmen really contributing

Wildcats are now 2-0 with Garfield Hts next

Last edited:
Ignatius 69
Garfield Heights 58

Wildcats outside shooting was the difference with Bielek scoring 19 and the freshman Effertz scoring 18

That is a heck of a game for the freshman to score 18 against Garfield Heights. Their is no way he wasn’t nervous going into a highly anticipated game this early in his career.

Can someone help me out here? I was looking at the Ignatius roster and I didn't see someone who played a lot last year as a junior. He was about 6'7" and his name began with a "Y". Or maybe he was a senior last year and my mind is slowly slipping away.

Can someone help me out here? I was looking at the Ignatius roster and I didn't see someone who played a lot last year as a junior. He was about 6'7" and his name began with a "Y". Or maybe he was a senior last year and my mind is slowly slipping away.

It was Nate Hubbard, 6'6". 220 lbs. He was a junior on last year's squad.
Not sure what happened to him this season. Injury?

I don't think that was the guy I was wondering about. Didn't Ignatius have a rather tall guy on the team last year whose name began with a "Y"? I'm pretty sure he was only a junior, but then again he could have graduated.

I will say this a St.Joes alum after what I saw what they did to VASJ, I knew their slow start was a fluke. Iggy is playing their best ball all season and needed to get hot before the playoffs. Boy did they and come at the right time too. This team is going to be tough to knock out in the playoffs this year if they continue to play like they are currently. Best of luck to your Wildcats the rest of the season!

I dont feel nearly as bad about Joe's losing to Iggy as I once did. Granted VASJ played really bad - but Iggy played well. They seem to be hitting their stride and are playing very good right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart

Like I said when they beat VASJ....They don't look like any 6-6 team I've ever seen.This is no surprise to me.They are going full speed ahead at the right time.

Ignatius peaking at the right time. Would love to see them advance to CSU for the first same since the instant classic triple OT game a few years back.

Outplayed Ed's last night no question. Means nothing just like Ed's outplaying the cats 3 weeks ago. IF they meet in the playoffs that is what matters.

They’ve had a strange year. Won their first three over talented teams (Lutheran East, Cleveland Heights, Garfield), then lost seven of nine, and now have won four in a row. Any Ignatius basketball fan out there have an idea as to why it has been such a roller coaster season?

Ignatius/Eds III ought to be a good one.

The biggest improvement that I have seen in the cats during this 6 game win streak is the lack of turnovers. I don't have any stats to support this statement but they seem to be taking much better care of the ball on offense. This was not the case earlier..... Davet and Valenzuela are both playing better each game and playing like seniors. Earlier in the year (despite winning the first three games) I thought they played tentatively.

IMO, the defensive intensity has been the best since Becker has returned. They are holding some very good teams to under 60 points.

Wish list? Better foul shooting and value the possession at the end of a quarter. I have debated this for years with various people but I believe that the primary objective when playing for the last shot is to not allow the other opposing team a decent look at the basket. If this is done correctly you will get one or two decent shots and limit the opponent to a 3/4 court heave.

Lastly, the eagles lost the game last night because they turned the ball over and shot poorly from the foul line. Give credit to the Iggy "D" for the turnovers but I would not count on the Eagles to shoot as poorly from the stripe as they did last night. If there is a game three, I think the foul shooting will determine it.

I’m wondering how the eagles have theee juniors that have been starting since they were all freshmen on the varsity with surprisingly little improvements and cohesive play. Starting as freshmen is unheard of. Not Geno Bartelone, Steve Logan, Sam Clancy, Jay Jackson, Steve Lepore, Samario Clancy, Tom Pritchard and on and in...The only two freshmen that come to mind who started as freshmen were Jawad Williams (North Carolina and all American and Delvone Roe (Michigan State, career ending injury at NC) who made significant improvements as Freshmen and raised their level of play over time.