Ichiro retires

Iconic legend of this sport. Would have the hit record had he played his whole career in the U.S. sorry Pete

Iconic legend of this sport. Would have the hit record had he played his whole career in the U.S. sorry Pete

Would have been close but he wouldn't have broke the record. If we assume he comes in at the same age as Pete(22), he would have had to average about 240 hits his first 5 seasons. He only hit 240 twice in his career. Ichiro started declining a few years before Rose did.

Would have been close but he wouldn't have broke the record. If we assume he comes in at the same age as Pete(22), he would have had to average about 240 hits his first 5 seasons. He only hit 240 twice in his career. Ichiro started declining a few years before Rose did.

Edit: I guess this depends on when you think he could have entered the MLB and if he could have matched his production in Japan. Still, I think he would would have been close but probably wouldn't have broken it.

He has more total hits between Japan and here and played only 130 games in japan. Source baseballreference.com.

Edit: I guess this depends on when you think he could have entered the MLB and if he could have matched his production in Japan. Still, I think he would would have been close but probably wouldn't have broken it.

I agree. Good bet to have been No. 3 somewhere between Aaron and Cobb, and closer to Cobb than Aaron.