I couldn't locate my previous post about Sen. Manchin switching parties, BUT ...

arizonawildcat

In a signed oped piece in today's largest W. Va. newspaper, Manchin announced that he would not vote for H.R. 1, the Dems proposed overhaul of the voting system. He additionally added that he would not vote for the Dems plan to kill the filibuster. So just be done with it and announce you are joining the GOP party.

In a signed oped piece in today's largest W. Va. newspaper, Manchin announced that he would not vote for H.R. 1, the Dems proposed overhaul of the voting system. He additionally added that he would not vote for the Dems plan to kill the filibuster. So just be done with it and announce you are joining the GOP party.
Or maybe just announce that you are actually not a partisan hack like the majority of senator’s

The same Joe Manchin that voted for Obama Care and voted several times not to repeal Obama Care. Joe M. is no Republican.

He is a Dem Senator in an overwhelming Red state. I’m glad he’s doing what he’s doing but it’s pretty obvious why.

West Virginia is a great state. Two invaluable items that we use every day were invented in the Mountaineer state...the toothbrush and the toothpick. Had those items been invented in any other state, they would have been called the teethbrush and the teethpick.

E3OncESWUAI15-R

If he did switched parties it would not be long before it would be reported that he is just another of the RINO's much better for Joe and his mostly liberal views to remain a Democrat and be called a DINO some of the time.

At least someone on the Left has some sense....

It might sound like hyperbole to some, but Manchin’s concern about the threat posed by the partisan nature of the bill is absolutely right. The For the People Act is truly one of the most troubling pieces of legislation proposed in recent memory. Should it ever become law, voters’ faith in elections would be eroded, regardless of whether widespread voter fraud actually occurs.

Among the many worrisome provisions included in the For the People Act are a ban on state voter ID laws, a mandate requiring all states to allow mail-in voting and prohibitions on any attempt by states to require a witness signature or notarization when casting absentee ballots.

In other words, the For the People Act would effectively make it impossible for states to guard against even the most basic forms of voter fraud.

In a March article, Hans von Spakovsky, a senior fellow at The Heritage Foundation specializing in voting regulations and fraud, highlighted just how easy it would become for voter fraud to occur if the For the People Act were to become law.

The For the People Act would “eviscerate state voter ID laws that require a voter to authenticate his identity,” von Spakovsky wrote. “Indeed, it would force states to allow anyone to vote who simply signs a form saying that they are who they claim they are. When combined with the mandate that states implement same-day voter registration, it means I could walk into any polling place on Election Day, register under the name John Smith, sign a form claiming I really am John Smith, cast a ballot, and walk out. Not only would election officials have no way of preventing that or verifying that I am not really John Smith, I could repeat this in as many polling places as I can get to.”

The republic survives it appears. I envision the repubs winning the House next year................every real American has had enough of the liberal lunacy.

Thank Jeebus! Now we can go back to simply leveraging the 'Cyber Ninjas' to use a special ultraviolet light to detect trace bamboo particles in ballots when we don't agree with the outcome of elections.
Ninja Spy GIF by Walk Off The Earth

Thank Jeebus! Now we can go back to simply leveraging the 'Cyber Ninjas' to use a special ultraviolet light to detect trace bamboo particles in ballots when we don't agree with the outcome of elections.
Ninja Spy GIF by Walk Off The Earth
Yeah showing proper id is kinda lame.....but kudos on the GIF (y)

It would strike down most voter-ID requirements and block states from purging ineligible voters, force automatic voter-registration, impose new campaign-finance rules and even deny states their rights to run their own redistricting.

Democrats pretend that anything less is the death of democracy, but the bill is really just an effort to force progressives’ preferences for voting rules on the entire nation to address an entirely imaginary threat — just like their talk of “Jim Crow” about a Georgia voting-reform law that produced rules far more liberal than those of (for example) President Joe Biden’s Delaware.

Crucially, Manchin asks, “Are the very Republican senators who voted to impeach [Donald] Trump because of actions that led to an attack on our democracy unwilling to support actions to strengthen our democracy?”

Manchin understands that such a nakedly partisan effort can only widen the nation’s political divisions: “I don’t want to be in a country divided any further than I’m in right now,” he said. “If we continue to divide it … it’s not going to be the country that we love and know.”

Besides, Americans don’t want one party “to dictate and demand everything and anything it wants,” he added. Which is why he also reaffirmed his commitment to keep the Senate filibuster, which requires 60 votes to pass most legislation, ensuring at least some bipartisan support.

Preserving the filibuster dooms not only S.1, but much of the rest of Biden’s much-hyped agenda. Maybe Manchin’s wake-up call will inspire the rest of his party to stop focusing on wild fantasies and get to work on measures that can command bipartisan support in a Congress that Democrats barely control.

So you're down with Manchin....good for you supporting him.
Nah, I'm not really 'down' with Manchin. I'm down with reducing the influence of big/dark money in elections, partisan gerrymandering, ethical accountability and transparency (i.e. banning members of Congress from serving on corporate boards), and expanding voting rights. I know we'll disagree here, but I'm just being honest. Again, I don't have an issue with providing appropriate ID to vote, and never have. As such, I would expect others would be prepared to do the same.

I mention AZ and 'Cyber Ninjas' because that situation is wholly laughable. The red flag should have been raised when a 'Stop the Steal' advocate was hired by the Senate President to conduct the audit. It's been nothing but a sh*tshow since. If this is what we can expect moving forward when the losers don't like the outcome of an election, I'll look forward to head's exploding when State legislatures run by Dem's hire LeBron James or <insert any partisan Democrat here> to audit the ballots of a duly elected and certified Republican in 2024.

Nah, I'm not really 'down' with Manchin. I'm down with reducing the influence of big/dark money in elections, partisan gerrymandering, ethical accountability and transparency (i.e. banning members of Congress from serving on corporate boards), and expanding voting rights. I know we'll disagree here, but I'm just being honest. Again, I don't have an issue with providing appropriate ID to vote, and never have. As such, I would expect others would be prepared to do the same.

I mention AZ and 'Cyber Ninjas' because that situation is wholly laughable. The red flag should have been raised when a 'Stop the Steal' advocate was hired by the Senate President to conduct the audit. It's been nothing but a sh*tshow since. If this is what we can expect moving forward when the losers don't like the outcome of an election, I'll look forward to head's exploding when State legislatures run by Dem's hire LeBron James or <insert any partisan Democrat here> to audit the ballots of a duly elected and certified Republican in 2024.
Fair enough, but why do you think Manchin is willing to depart from the party line? For that matter Krysten Cinema? While AZ is recounting is it really inhibiting anything? All this protesting about it seems odd, let it play out, and call scoreboard. I mean it isn't stopping Joe from immigration issues at the border or anything.

Fair enough, but why do you think Manchin is willing to depart from the party line? For that matter Krysten Cinema? While AZ is recounting is it really inhibiting anything? All this protesting about it seems odd, let it play out, and call scoreboard. I mean it isn't stopping Joe from immigration issues at the border or anything.
Probably because Democrats have no discernible leverage over Manchin, and little over Sinema. Manchin could theoretically switch parties, so Dem's can’t attack him too intensely when he does take a more conservative stand. And let's be real, as there is virtually zero chance that a Democrat to the left of Manchin could win a general election in WV either, so no threat of a primary. As for the latter, she really seems to enjoy trolling the Democrats who elected her. So not sure what her motivation is.

Probably because Democrats have no discernible leverage over Manchin, and little over Sinema. Manchin could theoretically switch parties, so Dem's can’t attack him too intensely when he does take a more conservative stand. And let's be real, as there is virtually zero chance that a Democrat to the left of Manchin could win a general election in WV either, so no threat of a primary. As for the latter, she really seems to enjoy trolling the Democrats who elected her. So not sure what her motivation is.
So Manchin can vote for what he feels is right vs. what the party thinks is right and he can do so as they have no leverage on him. Imagine that, doing the right thing because it is the right thing....

So Manchin can vote for what he feels is right vs. what the party thinks is right and he can do so as they have no leverage on him. Imagine that, doing the right thing because it is the right thing....
They call you a RINO if you do this on the other side, right?