I Believe We Need Turf!!!

It's called an example.

that was only one game besides that looks like fun. buy i agree we need turf

It was a recent example I believe regarding the field conditions. When it rains in Fife that is what the field looks like. I am glad you agree so that means they will be looking for your financial support.

I agree that natural grass is the best surface for football. However, I've watched too many games at Robert Fife Stadium that, because of the ridiculously muddy conditions, turned into something other than football. A contest to see who can maintain any kind of footing isn't what I go to see. That said, I Believe an artificial surface is the best solution.

I like the natural grass*, although there are times that it certainly is a mess. The Hoover game in 2008 comes to mind - in 30+ years of watching Jackson football, I've never seen the field that ugly, even when it was used for multiple sports prior to the 90's.

*Of course, I'm not on the field during the games, so I suppose I'm biased....lol.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there. If you want the answer go to the website and contact the individual in charge. Contrary to popular belief not everyone in JT is rich. There is a reason why the Jackson Sideliners need to raise the money through private donations but once again go to the website. This last bit of information is for the person from Lake.

2008 Median Income number for Stark County
Lake Township $67,193
Plain Township $53,285
Perry $51542
NC $42,013
Jackson $41,532
Massillon $32,734
Canton 32,136

So the next time you slam Jackson for being rich remember where you live.

Jackson High School football group pushing for artificial turf

By Jim Thomas
CantonRep.com staff report
Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 05:18 PM
JACKSON TWP. —

The color purple is synonymous with Jackson High School. It’s in the halls, on the walls, even on some basketballs.

It is not, however, associated much with Robert Fife Stadium’s football field.

The Jackson Sideliners hope that one day a Polar Bear athlete will splash down onto a purple end zone.

That effort is under way with a fundraising campaign and an online site at ibelieveweneedturf.com.

“What we are doing is going through the process,” said Vertrence Terrell, head of the Sideliners turf committee. “We had a June 1 deadline to break ground for this season. So now we are pursuing other avenues.”

Jackson High School Athletic Director Terry Peterson said the Sideliners’ idea is not new to the school.

“We’ve been talking about having turf for five or six years,” Peterson said. “This year it became a little more interesting. The Sideliners wanted to see if in fact anything could be done to raise money.

“It became a big thing for a while, then died down.”

The Sideliners’ hope to have purple end zones mixed with the green turf. There was a rumor swirling about turf being purple throughout — similar to how Boise State has end-to-end blue turf.

“I had heard that they were trying to incorporate the school colors into the field,” said Kenneth Douglas, Jackson Local Schools board member. “I think purple end zones would look good, but the whole field ... that would be a lot of purple out there.”

The cost is estimated at $790,000 to pay for the surface and install it on the football field. Fellow Federal League member Lake High School went to artificial turf — complete with blue end zones and a blue surrounding artificial track — in 2008 at an estimated cost of $850,000.

The Lake Building Committee raised all the money through private donations at no cost to taxpayers. The facility since has hosted band concerts, summer wrestling, soccer and more in addition to Blue Streaks football.

That’s what the Jackson Sideliners want as well.

“What they did is great. It’s a community effort, and that’s what you need,” Terrell said. “(Turf) can have multiple uses, more than football. Our lacrosse teams and the band could use it. The baseball team.

“It’s a grassroots thing. We don’t want to go to the school board. ... We’re not getting any financial support from the school board.”

Peterson said any kind of private project is the best way to get this done.

”We do need it,” he said. “Grass — in Ohio, in the fall, with freshman, JV and varsity games — doesn’t hold up. I think there is an interest there.

“But financially ... we can’t have any (taxpayer) funds involved.”

As two-a-days start and high schools get ready for another season, the Jackson Sideliners still are waiting for that first donation.

“We’ve got people saying they want to make donations, but they’re waiting for someone to make the first move,” Terrell said. “Once that happens, I believe it will take off.”

Interesting that Coach Phil Mauro spearheaded an effor that led to his new school Canal Winchester getting turf installed. The money was raised in about a 3 month period and the turf is down right now.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there. If you want the answer go to the website and contact the individual in charge. Contrary to popular belief not everyone in JT is rich. There is a reason why the Jackson Sideliners need to raise the money through private donations but once again go to the website. This last bit of information is for the person from Lake.

2008 Median Income number for Stark County
Lake Township $67,193
Plain Township $53,285
Perry $51542
NC $42,013
Jackson $41,532
Massillon $32,734
Canton 32,136

So the next time you slam Jackson for being rich remember where you live.

Medium home prices of homes sold in 2009

Jackson $164,900
North Canton $130,765
Lake $141,500
Plain $115,00
Perry $90,000

They should allow other teams to use it like the soccer, lacrosse, and baseball. It will get every one in the community involved to donate because then they know there son/daughter will get to use it as well.

Everyone is invited

They should allow other teams to use it like the soccer, lacrosse, and baseball. It will get every one in the community involved to donate because then they know there son/daughter will get to use it as well.

Have you looked at the website? Page 2

Medium home prices of homes sold in 2009

Jackson $164,900
North Canton $130,765
Lake $141,500
Plain $115,00
Perry $90,000
That's part of your problem raising money, Most of the people in Jackson live beyond their means and have no money to contribute. Lake Twp. built their entire stadium and paid for turf with private money.

My daughter teaches HS in Las Vegas and they sold Sq. Yd. "squares" for different prices to raise money to buy turf. There are appx. 6,000 sq. yds. needed for a field. End Zone squares were $500 ea. 50 yd line squares were $250 and everything else $100. Every donor got his name or Corp. name on a permanent sign that gives the coordinates for his "own" individual squares at the stadium entrance. Took about 6 mos. but alot of people who can't make big donations could buy one or two squares participated.

What happened to the effort trying to ge turf on the stadium field. I see that the effort is underway at Hoover. They win again.

What happened to the effort trying to ge turf on the stadium field. I see that the effort is underway at Hoover. They win again.

Sorry Charlie (WINNING) Sheen, but I don't think anyone was looking at it as a race to get it done before Hoover. Jackson is going through the bidding process and look for ground to be broken in a few weeks.

Nice, so the turf should be in for the start of the season? I always thought they should move the south park were the four baseball/softball fields are. The school owns the property and they could have moved the stands to that site like GlenOak did with the 44th street stands.