How do you get rid of WEEDS........

bigkat

I'm on my third round of spraying Round UP, within 3 to 4 weeks they will be coming back....

what does everyone use to get rid of them for good?

we sprung for a lawncare company this year. Haven't been impressed so far. The heat wave surely didn't help, but I don't know that our weed situation is much better than it was at the beginning of May when we started.

I'm on my third round of spraying Round UP, within 3 to 4 weeks they will be coming back....

First kill off the weeds. Either dig them out or use a chemical herbicide like you did. Then apply Preen and water it in or better yet apply it on a day you know it will rain. NOTHING will grow there for 3 - 4 of months. Reapply as needed.

I use Menards brand crabgrass preventer in early Spring before germination has occurred (March usually) followed by Menards brand weed&feed a few weeks later after the grass comes in. Works great.

In the beds I use a combo of Round Up and Preen though the Preen doesn't seem to be too affective these days. Round Up is a petroleum based product so gas is just as effective but it stinks a lot more than Roundup. I also do some pulling when just walking the yard.

For the grass I use the classic Scotts 4 step program: March for crabgrass preventer, May for weed killer, July for insect killer, and October for fall feeding. Also need to lay a grub killer in June. I have found that off brands do not work as well as Scott.

Preen is best when used early in the spring as it doesnt kill em, just prevents. The areas I used it in this year early on are doing very well.

If you are talking about weeds in cracks, stones, mulch beds, this is the stuff (or something similar).

I mix it in a 2 gallon sprayer. You have to be careful because it will kill everything (even your flowers, you strike me as a big flower guy;)). I hit a weed in my lawn with a quick squirt one time and it killed over a square foot section of my lawn.

If you are talking about weeds in your lawn it is always a constant battle but Menards has some good products and they are prescriptive as when to apply (4 applications a year). Scott's also makes a good weed & feed. Regardless of brand, IMO a 28-0-3 mixture is the best at getting rid of broadleaf weeds such as dandelions.

Preen is best when used early in the spring as it doesnt kill em, just prevents. The areas I used it in this year early on are doing very well.
I use it in the early spring and it works ok until this time of year when the nasty hardy stuff comes out. Another bane of my beds is Canadian Thistle, that stuff is nasty and doesn't seem to ever go away just multiply.

I use it in the early spring and it works ok until this time of year when the nasty hardy stuff comes out. Another bane of my beds is Canadian Thistle, that stuff is nasty and doesn't seem to ever go away just multiply.
yeah, ive noticed a little bit recently but not near what I have in past years when I missed my Preen window.

Do have a part of the yard that is 100% dead from the month we didnt get rain. It is an area where I put dirt over asphalt and each year it gets more compacted and this year its done. I was gonna jackhammer ith when I moved in years ago, but there musta been a sale on asphalt when they put it in as it was like 6-8 thick

If the neighbors don't get with the program it is tough to ever get a complete handle on the weeds. I do the crabgrass pre-emergent in the spring but some always creeps back through and a couple of weed and feed treatments, but it's a losing battle unless you want to fully commit to the endless dumping of chemicals on your lawn at which point you have to worry about having pets use the lawn.

If you are talking about weeds in cracks, stones, mulch beds, this is the stuff (or something similar).

I mix it in a 2 gallon sprayer. You have to be careful because it will kill everything (even your flowers, you strike me as a big flower guy;)). I hit a weed in my lawn with a quick squirt one time and it killed over a square foot section of my lawn.

If you are talking about weeds in your lawn it is always a constant battle but Menards has some good products and they are prescriptive as when to apply (4 applications a year). Scott's also makes a good weed & feed. Regardless of brand, IMO a 28-0-3 mixture is the best at getting rid of broadleaf weeds such as dandelions.

yes in mulch beds.... and yes , my Roses do very well thank you....

It's all in your head. Convince yourself that you like the rustic, natural look and you're TRYING to grow those weeds.

Hell, I've got a bumper crop again this year!

Mow the lawn high each time. Especially during droughts and during the dog Days of summer. Spring and fall lawns can be kept about 1 inch shorter. By doing this it will help to choke out weeds and hold moisture.

Get ya a spot sprayer and something with 2-4-D in it. Use it periodically every few weeks as needed. A lawn should never be blanket sprayed if maintained properly. This will take care of most broadleaf weeds. Grassy weeds and some clovers and violets can be tricky. You’ll need to get a specialized herbicide for that.

make sure to put down a pre emergent down early In spring as well. Very important.

Hope that helps lol

Mow the lawn high each time. Especially during droughts and during the dog Days of summer. Spring and fall lawns can be kept about 1 inch shorter. By doing this it will help to choke out weeds and hold moisture.

Get ya a spot sprayer and something with 2-4-D in it. Use it periodically every few weeks as needed. A lawn should never be blanket sprayed if maintained properly. This will take care of most broadleaf weeds. Grassy weeds and some clovers and violets can be tricky. You’ll need to get a specialized herbicide for that.

make sure to put down a pre emergent down early In spring as well. Very important.

Hope that helps lol
Did this early this spring and made a big difference. Clovers are starting to come back though, tough to keep away.

Did this early this spring and made a big difference. Clovers are starting to come back though, tough to keep away.
I used stuff called Tenacity for clover and other difficult weeds. It works really well. It’s pretty expensive and very potent stuff. Gotta be very careful when mixing and applying. It can do some serious damage.
I’d recommend trying it though.

Hope that helps lol
mow mine at 3 inch to 3 1/2 inch during summer, then in fall cut it at 2 1/2.... seems to work well....

I used stuff called Tenacity for clover and other difficult weeds. It works really well. It’s pretty expensive and very potent stuff. Gotta be very careful when mixing and applying. It can do some serious damage.
I’d recommend trying it though.
What I used the first time was the Scott's triple treatment which is an all inclusive weed killer. Worked for most things but the clover is the one thing that is proving resistant. Cutting high was really helpful for me too, the grass just outcompetes the weeds for light.