Horror of Horrors!

Purplemojo

I just heard from my daughter that St. Lawrence Bakery's Facebook page posted a "thank you" to their many customers as they are closing after over 100 years. I believe "electrical problems" was cited in their posting.

I have probably purchased from them three times a month on average over the past 30 years. I will miss them terribly.

I know that the family that operate Veracruz are opening a bakery, but it won't be the same as they will not have my own favorites baked by the folks at St. Lawrence.

This is sad news; unfortunately, I think St. Lawrence Bakery was on very borrowed time. Their product, while still quite good, has definitely gone down. The donuts over the years have become laughably small. Their customer service (like most places) has suffered quite a bit.

I will miss that bakery, I used to walk there often from my in-laws' house on Seton. Hopefully a new business will open up and have a positive impact on the area.

Who are their land lords? Put their name out in public to be blasted.
That’s not really fair, not without knowing the whole story. That’s a very old neighborhood, and it’s buildings. If it truly is an electrical situation, perhaps it’s too expensive and detailed to bring it up to today’s needs. But don’t blast the landlord without knowing the facts

That’s not really fair, not without knowing the whole story. That’s a very old neighborhood, and it’s buildings. If it truly is an electrical situation, perhaps it’s too expensive and detailed to bring it up to today’s needs. But don’t blast the landlord without knowing the facts

Absolutely true. As a business owner, I've seen more than a few businesses go under and blame it on the landlord. Not saying that's the case here but don't judge without all the facts.

What a sad story :(. I really enjoyed all the stories and memories we shared on the "Are you a True West Sider" thread. Hopefully there is some chance to save it.

There have been a series of owners of this property and all of them can be considered "slum lords". They have neglected the building and any legitimate businesses that have rented from them. It is a beautiful building and the apartments would have once been considered "luxury apartments".

According to this article, the couple who own and run the bakery said they are fine with the decision to close. They planned to retire next year anyway. The only way this bakery survives is if new ownership would want to purchase the bakery. I'm surprised the couple haven't pursued selling the business. I'm sure it's worth something, enough to bother with selling.

According to this article, the couple who own and run the bakery said they are fine with the decision to close. They planned to retire next year anyway. The only way this bakery survives is if new ownership would want to purchase the bakery. I'm surprised the couple haven't pursued selling the business. I'm sure it's worth something, enough to bother with selling.

Brian combs said same thing earlier on 700 this morning.

Brian combs said same thing earlier on 700 this morning.
It is a tough life, early mornings and long days. I have spoken to his wife and she worked two jobs, one at a hospital and the other working the counter at the bakery. They may just be tired and the landlord issues brought it to a head.

cone zone in cheviot is selling also. it's been on market a couple weeks now, but damn. that place is always busy. i guess the long hours will eventually get to people.

jtk
()

A quote from Paul Hartmann in The Cincinnati Enquirer indicates they are open to the possibility of staying open.

"We were thinking it was all over but now I'm not sure," Paul said. Strangers, former customers and people from the neighborhood have offered their skills as electricians, money and potential new locations in an effort to save the bakery.

A Facebook page called Save St. Lawrence was created on Monday.

"I knew some people would be upset, some neighborhood folk, but to see this much support," Paul said. "Who knows? Maybe someone can come in and help us."

cone zone in cheviot is selling also. it's been on market a couple weeks now, but damn. that place is always busy. i guess the long hours will eventually get to people.

jtk
()
When the changed names from Tummy Treats to Cone Zone and relocated to their current location, I always questioned that. It is a pain getting in and the layout seems awkward.

Who are their land lords? Put their name out in public to be blasted.
Article on wlwt has quotes from the owner. They give his name. Sounds to me like the Hartmann’s had been considering retiring in a few yrs and the building issues helped persuade them to just retire right now. Everything they sold was just absolutely delicious!

I would like to Thank the Owners and Staff of St. Lawrence Bakery! Hope they enjoy a well earned retirement!

When the changed names from Tummy Treats to Cone Zone and relocated to their current location, I always questioned that. It is a pain getting in and the layout seems awkward.

they are always busy. there are times the drive thru is backed up to frisch's. i guess my point was you eventually get burned out from doing the crazy hours involved in those types of businesses.

jtk
()

I know that the family that operate Veracruz are opening a bakery, but it won't be the same as they will not have my own favorites baked by the folks at St. Lawrence.
I rode by Veracruz the other day. In the empty storefront next to it was a sign that said "Coming soon, Mi Casa Butcher and Bakery"