Home field advantage by state (statistical analysis)

Didnt read, but in HS football, and sports alone, home field advantage is much less of an advantage compared to other levels

Didnt read, but in HS football, and sports alone, home field advantage is much less of an advantage compared to other levels

It would make sense though that the bigger the state (and longer the bus rides), the more it matters. It's definitely way less noticable and often times negligible. But I'd imagine Marion Local traveling to Coldwater has less of an effect than say, Defiance to Kenton or in the old days Lima Senior to Princeton. Even those are easier to overcome than a trip into any hostile college stadium, but the soreness from the bus rides is harder to shake off than staying close to home.

But I can honestly say as an alum of a school that's the geographical outlier in their league, there's still only a handful of games I recall thinking that we would have won if at home or lost on the road. A couple of Kenton or St. Marys games in the mid 2000s, and that's about it. It's mostly talent and coaching at the high school level.

In hoops... Before.eveyone got these new, large, sterile gyms I think home court advantage was bigger then than now.

Football...man I don't know, not in HS. Unless your a Marion local fan complaining about CW watering the field too much once on the 70s or so!

In hoops... Before.eveyone got these new, large, sterile gyms I think home court advantage was bigger then than now.

Football...man I don't know, not in HS. Unless your a Marion local fan complaining about CW watering the field too much once on the 70s or so!

Hey Napoleon tried that trick on us in 2008!

First Thursday game in the series, and they forgot to turn off the sprinklers. 2nd quarter cane, boom, sprinklers came on.

And that's when we came alive and took over the game.

20210516_222440.jpg
20210516_223509.jpg

Back when fans would sit or stand right on the baselines and sidelines.

It would make sense though that the bigger the state (and longer the bus rides), the more it matters. It's definitely way less noticable and often times negligible. But I'd imagine Marion Local traveling to Coldwater has less of an effect than say, Defiance to Kenton or in the old days Lima Senior to Princeton. Even those are easier to overcome than a trip into any hostile college stadium, but the soreness from the bus rides is harder to shake off than staying close to home.

But I can honestly say as an alum of a school that's the geographical outlier in their league, there's still only a handful of games I recall thinking that we would have won if at home or lost on the road. A couple of Kenton or St. Marys games in the mid 2000s, and that's about it. It's mostly talent and coaching at the high school level.

In October, 1996 we traveled down to Cincy Sycamore one Friday night and played in an absolute monsoon. Game was delayed then called halfway through the 3rd quarter IIRC. We had to get back on the bus, travel the 2 hours back to Lima, go to bed, wake back up the next day, get back on the bus, travel 2 hours back down to Sycamore, won 9-7??? and got back on the bus and traveled 2 hours back home.

None of the GMC away games felt like we were going into hostile territory though. Mainly because we were from Lima and well the GMC was and still is a suburban white collar upper class demographic community league. Lima being the outsider by 2 hours from everyone else, being the most diverse school in the league outside of Princeton who you mentioned and being the smallest enrollment we always had the "us against the world" mentality already instilled in us. Playing Hamilton, Fairfield, Lakota, etc... in their house didn't mean much all other things being considered. Basically when you grow up in Lima there is nothing a GMC crowd can throw your way that you haven't already dealt with that is worse.