Holy War Part 1?: St. Ignatius (4-1) vs. St. Edward (5-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 20+

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • St. Edward by 13-19

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • St. Edward by 8-12

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • St. Ignatius

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is an interesting take. Ignatius would win one more state title from this time in 2011. Play for one in 2016 and I think their last great team was 2018 where Ed's pulled the upset and went on a roll to win a state championship. I guess my point is that Ignatius was at least in the ballpark of competing for region 1 most of those years and their last talented team was 2018. The fact that Ed's was finally able to put it all together and win titles is the key here. Gibbons had it close, he had to have one of the top 2 talented teams in the state in 2002 and 2005, made it to the final in '03 with a scrappy team, that groundwork was laid. Finotti was a breath of fresh air after two years of us running our heads into the same walls and not trying to change. Ed's has a better relationship with the MUNY league for sure and I think a lot of public districts. (not saying they love it, just that Ed's has made in-roads there and kids have gone to Ed's with good success)

It is just crazy to me so much has changed since 2018.
All true.

As a sidenote, clearly Ignatius is lucky to have a treasure like Kyle. Class act all the way. However, football like all sports is about talent. Eds has it in barrels. Ignatius does not. That looks like it won't change in the near future.

Last night's massacre seemed like the finality to something that has been building for years.

And I don't know many Ignatius people that would hope for a rematch this season.

All true.

As a sidenote, clearly Ignatius is lucky to have a treasure like Kyle. Class act all the way. However, football like all sports is about talent. Eds has it in barrels. Ignatius does not. That looks like it won't change in the near future.

Last night's massacre seemed like the finality to something that has been building for years.

And I don't know many Ignatius people that would hope for a rematch this season.
Great points there too. I felt in 2019 and 2021 Ed's had far superior teams and Ignatius kept it close or Ed's played down to them. I expected that same script this year, obviously it did not play out that way. Kyle is a great coach who owes the school nothing, loves the school and does it all the right way. I think at some point you look around and notice that there aren't a lot of people you recognize anymore and you've had a lot of friends retire. Keeping your coaching staff fresh and continuing to bring in talented players is the test of long term effectiveness. He more than did that, it is just these last few years where the program has fallen short, made worse by the fact that the biggest rival has upped their game and won championships. It's the reverse of the late 80s early 90s to me.

Great points there too. I felt in 2019 and 2021 Ed's had far superior teams and Ignatius kept it close or Ed's played down to them. I expected that same script this year, obviously it did not play out that way. Kyle is a great coach who owes the school nothing, loves the school and does it all the right way. I think at some point you look around and notice that there aren't a lot of people you recognize anymore and you've had a lot of friends retire. Keeping your coaching staff fresh and continuing to bring in talented players is the test of long term effectiveness. He more than did that, it is just these last few years where the program has fallen short, made worse by the fact that the biggest rival has upped their game and won championships. It's the reverse of the late 80s early 90s to me.
Agree. Sitting with my son it I told him Eds looked like a 90s Ignatius team.

I do wonder if Ignatius will close the gap under Franzinger and younger coaches. It's almost a rebranding of a program.

I think the difficulty is being a program that has a present and a future, not just a past. Right now, Ignatius has a past and that's important but it isn't as important as the first two. I would be interested to see what Franzinger's ideas of doing things differently are. The Wildcats have better facilities than St. Ed's, more endowment money, and generations of former players who I am sure would want to see the program get back to competing for championships. Most of the hard stuff is in place.

I think the difficulty is being a program that has a present and a future, not just a past. Right now, Ignatius has a past and that's important but it isn't as important as the first two. I would be interested to see what Franzinger's ideas of doing things differently are. The Wildcats have better facilities than St. Ed's, more endowment money, and generations of former players who I am sure would want to see the program get back to competing for championships. Most of the hard stuff is in place.
Thank you for a civil, honest discussion about this. Much like you probably felt in the 90s, I sat there watching Ignatius get steamrolled feeling frustrated.

Past winning makes it worse too, IMO.

Thank you for a civil, honest discussion about this. Much like you probably felt in the 90s, I sat there watching Ignatius get steamrolled feeling frustrated.

Past winning makes it worse too, IMO.
Quite honestly you should be. You are one of the top two largest boy enrollments in the state in one of the state's largest population centers. Ed's has some of those same advantages but 48-6 should not be something that sits right with anyone over there. Freshmen was close and JV was another dominant Ed's performance. The Eagles are doing a lot right and are head and shoulders better right now. I love it but that doesn't mean its great for the rivalry.

Anyone know the official attendance number for last night? I could see a handful of empty rows on the Ignatius side, but the stands were nearly filled in. Add in the hundreds of roving teenagers throughout the walkways and I imagine it was pretty close to capacity.

I have a just for fun question for Ignatius and Ed's fans that are also OSU fans. If you could only win 1 of these 2 games and lose the other, which would you want to win more.
A. Ed's vs. Ignatius playoff game
B. OSU vs "THE" Michigan Wolverines
Osu....means much more in playoff setup

I feel like a good analogy for past and present etc could be Moeller before Ignatius took over in 90s....time will tell, but feels somewhat similar

Going into the game last night, there were some tickets available, but they were grabbed quickly at the gate. St Ignatius announced the game was a sell out and stopped selling tickets at the door. Official seating capacity at Byers Field is 11,850.

And honestly, what makes this a RIVALRY is the fact that the all time series is now 32-29-1 in favor of the Wildcats.

And with the 62 games being played, there is a clear line on who wins and loses the game . . . St Ignatius offense / St Edward defense.

When the Wildcats score 15 or more points in the game, the Cats are 30-3-0
When the Wildcats score exactly 14 points, the Cats are 2-2-1
When the Wildcats score 13 or less in the game, the Cats are 0-24-0

Very few, if any rivalries have this clear of a line of who wins and loses.

bkmk1 - as a lover of close fought football games, do you regret choosing this game to attend? Where did you go Friday?

I agree that in part do to "infrastructure" mentioned above, St. Ignatius is not that far from championship football at all.

I agree that in part do to "infrastructure" mentioned above, St. Ignatius is not that far from championship football at all.
Who says that's the direction the program will go?

There are already sons of former Ignatius stars playing or in the program, and it hasn't made an impact at all.

Last edited:

I think you have to ask the question:
How far is the school willing to go to admit superior football players. While Gesu, St. Ambrose and Saint Chris all offer talented football players the net will need to spread well beyond these schools if Saint Ignatius is going to catch St. Edward on the gridiron. Admission is just the beginning. Private donors are the next, more delicate, layer.

Donors are not an issue at all. Having just received the yearly publication that covers such, all is well.

However, I do not get the sense, at this time, that there is some motivation to try to change what is going on with the football program. Maybe there will be, but I get the sense that the powers that be are just fine with where everything is currently situated.

bkmk1 - as a lover of close fought football games, do you regret choosing this game to attend? Where did you go Friday?
I am officially the moron of the week. So I decided to stay here Friday and watch the only huge big game rivalry game in Erie. Prep vs. McDowell. It was Prep 35-0 at half. Complete domination. Then I was at Byers Saturday for blowout day 2. I am licking my wounds. Lol! Oh well, I have seen great games weeks 1-6. Still have weeks 8-10 plus 11-15. So I am going to forget this Friday/Saturday even happened. I blew the Mentor vs. Medina or Avon vs. Olmsted Falls as those were my other 2 options I had narrowed it down to. That's what is crushing. Both of those were sweet games. I did leave the Prep game at halftime so I did watch most of the second half of the Mentor vs. Medina game online. Thanks for asking. Do you feel my pain? But I will answer your initial question: do I regret choosing this game to attend. The answer is absolutely not. I still love Ohio ball and big games like Ed's vs. Iggy. So I am still very glad I went. I am 100 times crushed that I went to the Prep vs. McDowell game instead of either Mentor/Medina or Avon/Falls. That HURTS!!

Last edited:
Donors are not an issue at all. Having just received the yearly publication that covers such, all is well.

However, I do not get the sense, at this time, that there is some motivation to try to change what is going on with the football program. Maybe there will be, but I get the sense that the powers that be are just fine with where everything is currently situated.
I guess I don't understand that there is not institutional motivation to change what is going on. Schools want students to succeed, the school has built great work out facilities and spaces to compete, even paid for Byers to be renovated. It looks like there is a lot of investment there. And its not as if other sports have suffered.

I guess I don't understand that there is not institutional motivation to change what is going on. Schools want students to succeed, the school has built great work out facilities and spaces to compete, even paid for Byers to be renovated. It looks like there is a lot of investment there. And its not as if other sports have suffered.
Perhaps football isn't as important or as loved by the current admin compared to some other sports in comparison to past admins. As far as Byers, I have a ton of memories there, growing up in parma, Ignatius etc, but, with the state of the PCSD and some things I have seen at Byers, plua generally crowd diminishing, maybe time to go elsewhere if the money is right

I am officially the moron of the week. So I decided to stay here Friday and watch the only huge big game rivalry game in Erie. Prep vs. McDowell. It was Prep 35-0 at half. Complete domination. Then I was at Byers Saturday for blowout day 2. I am licking my wounds. Lol! Oh well, I have seen great games weeks 1-6. Still have weeks 8-10 plus 11-15. So I am going to forget this Friday/Saturday even happened. I blew the Mentor vs. Medina or Avon vs. Olmsted Falls as those were my other 2 options I had narrowed it down to. That's what is crushing. Both of those were sweet games. I did leave the Prep game at halftime so I did watch most of the second half of the Mentor vs. Medina game online. Thanks for asking. Do you feel my pain? But I will answer your initial question: do I regret choosing this game to attend. The answer is absolutely not. I still love Ohio ball and big games like Ed's vs. Iggy. So I am still very glad I went. I am 100 times crushed that I went to the Prep vs. McDowell game instead of either Mentor/Medina or Avon/Falls. That HURTS!!
It was an easy week to miss the mark on, lol. I missed the mark, too, as my family picked up Guardians tickets for Saturday night about a month ago when they figured the game would mean something. So I wached the Guardians lay an egg as my Eagles won a rare beatdown over the wildcats. Really should consult my calendar more closely before agreeing to such things. :unsure::confused:;)

It was an easy week to miss the mark on, lol. I missed the mark, too, as my family picked up Guardians tickets for Saturday night about a month ago when they figured the game would mean something. So I wached the Guardians lay an egg as my Eagles won a rare beatdown over the wildcats. Really should consult my calendar more closely before agreeing to such things. :unsure::confused:;)
Ok so you can be runner up to me for moron of the week. Lol! Now on to week 8. Man I am really struggling to find a game I like and want to go to. So far I have these as potentials: (Solon at Mentor), (Fitch at Wadsworth). But I will keep looking because neither of those are must see games.

Ok so you can be runner up to me for moron of the week. Lol! Now on to week 8. Man I am really struggling to find a game I like and want to go to. So far I have these as potentials: (Solon at Mentor), (Fitch at Wadsworth). But I will keep looking because neither of those are must see games.
Out of those 2 would take Fitch. For sure not Byers....calpreps says 44-10, and had said 28-6 for this weekend. Yikes. NE OH feels down this year beyond a handful of teams

Out of those 2 would take Fitch. For sure not Byers....calpreps says 44-10, and had said 28-6 for this weekend. Yikes. NE OH feels down this year beyond a handful of teams
I feel the same way. D2 seems to be where there are many more good games this year. Especially come playoff time. Not sure what you mean by writing "for sure not Byers"?

Was it me or are those new lights at Byers field awful!! Looking across the way the middle of the bleachers were dark I know those are new LED type lights but whoever configured them did a poor job. Even the middle of the field was dark curious to see what other people thought

I feel the same way. D2 seems to be where there are many more good games this year. Especially come playoff time. Not sure what you mean by writing "for sure not Byers"?
Meaning Saturday Ignatius Moeller......I am going, but fully expect to be out at half

Was it me or are those new lights at Byers field awful!! Looking across the way the middle of the bleachers were dark I know those are new LED type lights but whoever configured them did a poor job. Even the middle of the field was dark curious to see what other people thought
I did think there were dark spots on the field. PCSD for the.....loss