Holy War Part 1?: St. Ignatius (4-1) vs. St. Edward (5-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 20+

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • St. Edward by 13-19

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • St. Edward by 8-12

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • St. Ignatius

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I suspected this very well could happen. Left at half, just no comparison. As we have said, and people have acted like we are sandbagging. Vastly different directions both programs continue to head

48-6....my view from the mentor game that it was 2 mediocre and least talented teams I have seen from both in quite awhile seems pretty accurate. The most disappointing to me while I was there tonight was the Swiss cheese tackling. Pair that with this offense and, well, yikes. Next week will be no better and likely worse

While I certainly knew Eds was the favorite today, I did not expect this.

When it was 14-6, Ignatius pooched a kickoff and Eds returned it to the 50. Scored a few plays later. I know the wind was a factor but I've never seen Ignatius have such bad special teams that it took them out of the game.

I am stunned in a good way.

When it was 14-6, Ignatius pooched a kickoff and Eds returned it to the 50. Scored a few plays later. I know the wind was a factor but I've never seen Ignatius have such bad special teams that it took them out of the game.

Us on the other side are not stunned, other than the horrid Swiss cheese tackling. We predicted this, and others smarter than those who watch this program said we were crazy

Ed's oline was just too big and athletic. Really dominated. Plus Ignatius poor tackling. I thought Ignatius defense would be better.

Obviously, I haven't seen everyone play but to me it looks like Ed's and Moe 1-2 or 2-1. Interested to see how Moe does against Ignatius next week and then Ed's and Moe in 2 weeks.

Go Eagles!

Why so surprised? 1 is a good football program and the other is a shell of what it was in my years
It will turn around one day. Always does. Lombardo leaves, kids start going to Iggy maybe. You and Ed always have talent. Just one school currently is getting the bulk of the talent. Same thing in Cincy. Moe, x, Elder, Lasalle split the talent. Look at Lasalle this year. Today got drubbed by Indy Cathedral, which is a good team, but Lasalle used to handle them. Today they had 32 yds of offense with one first down in the first half. Not typical of Lasalle. Moe has the jimmys and joes this year. Being from Ignatius, you will find out next week. Good luck, tough road ahead

Ed's oline was just too big and athletic. Really dominated. Plus Ignatius poor tackling. I thought Ignatius defense would be better.

Obviously, I haven't seen everyone play but to me it looks like Ed's and Moe 1-2 or 2-1. Interested to see how Moe does against Ignatius next week and then Ed's and Moe in 2 weeks.

Go Eagles!
Well, Moeller will be another running clock next week. Not sure will tell you much when this team will prob lose to Clarkson just like Mentor did. If they don't it will solely be because last regular season game for Kyle. Won't be because of athleticism.

It will turn around one day. Always does. Lombardo leaves, kids start going to Iggy maybe. You and Ed always have talent. Just one school currently is getting the bulk of the talent. Same thing in Cincy. Moe, x, Elder, Lasalle split the talent. Look at Lasalle this year. Today got drubbed by Indy Cathedral, which is a good team, but Lasalle used to handle them. Today they had 32 yds of offense with one first down in the first half. Not typical of Lasalle. Moe has the jimmys and joes this year. Being from Ignatius, you will find out next week. Good luck, tough road ahead
Wish I could say yes but unless Franzinger has some major changing effect, I just don't see the talent all of a sudden switching. Overall, Ohio HS football talent is declining. Sad but true, and so when you are mediocre on top of that, not great

I thought I was the only one that noticed that they are very unprofessional
I noticed that they were astonished at the size of the Ed backup line. Don't they realize that accidents happen. Some years you just get a half dozen kids 6ft5 300 lbs. They should know that. It happens. It happened for quite a few years at Iggy. Quit complaining and wait your turn.

This is a very mediocre Ignatius team and Eds did what they should- destroy it.

I'd stick with Woidke the rest of the season. Let him learn. This Ignatius team isn't going anywhere, so let the sophomores play.

Pleasantly surprised but I don’t pay attention like many great fans on Yappi.
Some Ignatius fans by us were wondering if Wildcats would win another game. Apparently this Canada team is good, and X better than their record.

Pleasantly surprised but I don’t pay attention like many great fans on Yappi.
Some Ignatius fans by us were wondering if Wildcats would win another game. Apparently this Canada team is good, and X better than their record.
Would I be surprised with 4-5 and a sole road playoff game to end it? No

Always good when we beat the Wildcats. Clean sweep for the football program this week.

however apparently this loss was not the biggest loss of the day for Ignatius? The soccer team has really not lost in 47 months? That’s ridiculous

Wish I could say yes but unless Franzinger has some major changing effect, I just don't see the talent all of a sudden switching. Overall, Ohio HS football talent is declining. Sad but true, and so when you are mediocre on top of that, not great
Franzinger is going to be an upgrade. Kyle has left a great legacy but that era of high school football died in the early 2010s.

CYO is not the talent pool anymore. It’s the Muny league. Ed’s always had a history of getting muny league players while Ignatius didn’t. It’ll change again.

If you told a Ed’s fan in 2008 they’d just beaten ignatius 48-6 and won 5 state titles they’d laugh at you.

It was more than special teams and wind. Ed's totally dominated offensively and defensively.
Last night Ed's had the better athletes. Would it be the same in a rematch? Who knows?
I thought Ed's would win, but only by a couple of TDs. So I'm with you, pleasantly surprised.
I imagine Carmen and Adam were thrilled.

Last edited:
They are HS kids....do your students handle broadcasting? If not, sit down and shutup regarding kid broadcasters
😂😂😂😂 Oh we are kids now ShUt uP ... It doesn't matter if their kids are not they were still rude I thought when you went to St Ignatius it was about being respectful? No not anymore I guess right? An and you the same guy that comes on every week and criticize kids because they are not playing up the wildcat standard? I wasn't trying to you know hijack you guys thread I was just stating what I've heard from you broadcast but to each it's own

Really didn't expect it to be 48 points. I thought the Wildcat defense and wind would keep the scoring down but Ed's played a great game. Some of our earlier games could have been this lopsided but due to mistakes or not finishing drives, they were much closer affairs. If Ed's plays like this the rest of the year we can definitely compete with Moeller.

Wow. What a disappointment. A long way to drive there and back for that. Oh well, Byers is one of my favorite stadiums to go to. But that game was tough to swallow driving home.

I have a just for fun question for Ignatius and Ed's fans that are also OSU fans. If you could only win 1 of these 2 games and lose the other, which would you want to win more.
A. Ed's vs. Ignatius playoff game
B. OSU vs "THE" Michigan Wolverines

Franzinger is going to be an upgrade. Kyle has left a great legacy but that era of high school football died in the early 2010s.

CYO is not the talent pool anymore. It’s the Muny league. Ed’s always had a history of getting muny league players while Ignatius didn’t. It’ll change again.

If you told a Ed’s fan in 2008 they’d just beaten ignatius 48-6 and won 5 state titles they’d laugh at you.
This is an interesting take. Ignatius would win one more state title from this time in 2011. Play for one in 2016 and I think their last great team was 2018 where Ed's pulled the upset and went on a roll to win a state championship. I guess my point is that Ignatius was at least in the ballpark of competing for region 1 most of those years and their last talented team was 2018. The fact that Ed's was finally able to put it all together and win titles is the key here. Gibbons had it close, he had to have one of the top 2 talented teams in the state in 2002 and 2005, made it to the final in '03 with a scrappy team, that groundwork was laid. Finotti was a breath of fresh air after two years of us running our heads into the same walls and not trying to change. Ed's has a better relationship with the MUNY league for sure and I think a lot of public districts. (not saying they love it, just that Ed's has made in-roads there and kids have gone to Ed's with good success)

It is just crazy to me so much has changed since 2018.

I have a just for fun question for Ignatius and Ed's fans that are also OSU fans. If you could only win 1 of these 2 games and lose the other, which would you want to win more.
A. Ed's vs. Ignatius playoff game
B. OSU vs "THE" Michigan Wolverines
A