Holy War Part 1?: St. Ignatius (4-1) vs. St. Edward (5-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 20+

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • St. Edward by 13-19

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • St. Edward by 8-12

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • St. Ignatius

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wildcat97

My concern for the Cats remains a bit too one dimensional. Anything is possible in this one, Eds a slight favorite?

Hoping for a full house for potentially the final Kyle version, absent a playoff rematch.

With both teams struggling to get solid Qb play (passing game), I see this as a very low scoring defensive type game. Ed's is the slight favorite, but the Iggy kids would love nothing more than to send coach Kyle out winning his last Holy War. This is a toss up. Hoping for good weather, a packed house, and a great game.

There has been a tendency in recent history to play this game pretty close to the vest, knowing a post-season meeting is very much a possibility. This year is clearly different. This Ignatius group will be incredibly motivated to secure Chico a victory in his last regular season (and possibly last ever) Holy War. The Eagles would love to play spoiler and, in my opinion, still have so much work to do to become a complete offense to not use the whole play book. Nonetheless, I still foresee a low scoring game with both teams strengths being on the defensive side of the ball. I anticipate a large crowd and electric atmosphere.

dave mustaine guitar GIF

I see a rematch in November. I'd rather lose this one, then win that one. Do hope the Eagles can keep it close, though.

Ignatius has no passing attack. Eagles will be all over Papesh and stuffing the run.

If the eagles can score early and force the wildcats to pass I think it can get ugly fast.

that being said the Ed’s offense is a grind it out young group so I for see a close one , but it could come to special teams and both teams struggle in that dept.

Eagles 17
Cats 10

That's crazy. Don't both schools have ELITE soccer programs?
Ignatius does, and yes, that program has provided them with a number of fantastic kickers over the years. Not sure of their situation this year. Ben Lavelle is the guy for Ed’s this year. Very good punter with a big leg, but has struggled with accuracy on his place kicking.

Ignatius does, and yes, that program has provided them with a number of fantastic kickers over the years. Not sure of their situation this year. Ben Lavelle is the guy for Ed’s this year. Very good punter with a big leg, but has struggled with accuracy on his place kicking.
Ignatius' situation is exactly same as the Eagles - James Collins is a very good punter. Big leg that can put kickoffs in the end zone and has had several very long and well placed punts this season, but place kicking accuracy needs improvement

Ed's looks much better on paper but I agree with what was said earlier, that this game has a tendency to be close in the regular season. EP01 is right too, this offense has a long way to go to reach what it can be. I hope that we can be systematic and clean this game to grind out a win like 24-7 but I have a feeling it will be more like 10-3 or 14-10.

I'm not seeing two games between these 2 this season.
So the question becomes who is the team or teams to knock 1 or both out so they don't meet again. Rank them in order of most likely to knock 1 or both out preventing them from a rematch. (Medina, Cleve. Hts, Mentor, McKinley.....?????).

I think Mentor/Medina winner this weekend will emerge as most likely to prevent a Holy War II. I think we will get one, though.

I think Mentor/Medina winner this weekend will emerge as most likely to prevent a Holy War II. I think we will get one, though.
R1 appears like it could shake out so many different ways 1-8, especially with the schedules Eds and Ignatius have to finish. If they end up on the same side of the bracket, seems like they could play as early as round 2.