Holdbacks

You did not read correctly GrizzlyDad. Why should a 14 year old freshman have to wrestle a 19 year old holdback?

14-18 years is a normal high school age. 19 is not a normal high school age.

I agree. Repeating is cheating.
You’re so full of it your eyes should be brown. You’re name calling and disrespecting people because you don’t like something regardless of the fact that it’s legal and approved by the OHSAA. If you don’t want your 14 yr old wrestling a 19 yr old there is always bowling. LOL!

You’re so full of it your eyes should be brown. You’re name calling and disrespecting people because you don’t like something regardless of the fact that it’s legal and approved by the OHSAA. If you don’t want your 14 yr old wrestling a 19 yr old there is always bowling. LOL!
Absolutely! My non holdback, turned 15 this year half way through his freshman year was 1 of 2 freshman in his State bracket and went through 2 nationally ranked seniors to win a State title as a freshman. He has always wrestled up age and weight generally chasing competition. Life isn’t fair, dont like your circumstances change them. I don’t really think the holdback thing is that big of an issue! JMO

If your not cheating your not trying. Not against rules so it’s your choice, well Not kids no 6th-8th grade wants to but unaccomplished dad does so Junior has advantage and wrestle younger kids. Can’t compete with current wrestlers in same grade take easier path. Dad needs to hold court with cronies live through Junior when he goes 2-0 at XYZ Southeastern triangular. Ranked #22 on Boris but should be #19 cause he beat that kid at OAC District in 4th grade.
But it ends, medals stored away, family and work awaits Junior dad only has posts left of someone else past glories. Great sport shouldn’t destroy from within. Respect all who steps on mat and competes. Companies like to hire wrestlers ( even 0-2 ones at natty) hard working, disciplined, dedicated and can deal with failure but overcome. Life lessons learned through wrestling more than any other sport.
Life not fair deal with it.

A person who acts dishonesty to gain an advantage.

The quality of being honest and having strong moral principals. A person of integrity

Give it a rest.
I do live on the wrong side of I71. I am poor. No clubs or private schools. Your kid probably did beat my 14yr old. Doesn’t cut weight. No Fargo placement. 4x district alternate. Doesn’t like singlets and plays multi sports.

Dion sound really intelligent. I bet he’s a holdback. ?

If only we could have this problem in wrestling:

"The International Gymnastic Federation says at least one Chinese gymnast on the 2000 Olympic team was too young to legally compete, and it's recommending Dong Fangxiao's bronze medal be yanked. An investigation shows Dong was 14 during the 2000 games; an Olympic competitor must be 16. In a related investigation of the 2000 team, the Federation couldn't determine how old her teammate Yang Yun really is, so she got a warning. The Federation has sent its findings to the International Olympic Committee which will make the final ruling."

If only we could have this problem in wrestling:

"The International Gymnastic Federation says at least one Chinese gymnast on the 2000 Olympic team was too young to legally compete, and it's recommending Dong Fangxiao's bronze medal be yanked. An investigation shows Dong was 14 during the 2000 games; an Olympic competitor must be 16. In a related investigation of the 2000 team, the Federation couldn't determine how old her teammate Yang Yun really is, so she got a warning. The Federation has sent its findings to the International Olympic Committee which will make the final ruling."
Naw, you can't have this problem in wrestling. If you stop the sport before college you are considered a quitter. Wrestling should be only for fun until you reach your college decision time. If you decide not to wrestle in college it's because your parents are idiots and pushed you to hard when you were 6 and 7 years old.

Naw, you can't have this problem in wrestling. If you stop the sport before college you are considered a quitter. Wrestling should be only for fun until you reach your college decision time. If you decide not to wrestle in college it's because your parents are idiots and pushed you to hard when you were 6 and 7 years old.
It's easy to blame it on "parents" pushing.....but honestly with only 80 some D1 programs getting a scholarship is reserved for the top 10% -15% of Elite high schoolers. It's also quite the grind and some very good recruits don't feel the need to continue that grind in College. Some kids embrace being pushed, some fold, eventually all depends on the kid.

Holding back is for sissys plain and simple! I, on a personal level love it though! Nothing like watching a grown man getting beat by a just turned 14 year old as a reward for trying to cheat the system….

Holding back is for sissys plain and simple! I, on a personal level love it though! Nothing like watching a grown man getting beat by a just turned 14 year old as a reward for trying to cheat the system….
What if the 14 year old took testosterone to induce puberty ? Grown men are 18? lol

Of the LARGE list of elite Ohio high schoolers who did NOT wrestle in college, I personally know some of those parents didn't PUSH in the least ever. Depends on the kids, some of them I know and talked to the ultimate goal was a state championship, college grind not for everyone.

What’s does it matter if a kid is held back? The same people that are complaining about hold backs are the same people that say nothing about nepotism. There are so many people that receive inheritance, businesses, ect.. all these things give an life advantage way larger than the advantage a 19 y/o has over a 14 y/o in sports. Many of you display an elitist attitude; and believe that you’re the ones that can create a competitive advantage. Yeah there are a “few” kids that may benefit athletically, but how many more people benefit from the aforementioned advantages I stated above?

Last edited:
What’s does it matter if a kid is held back? The same people that are complaining about hold backs are the same people that say nothing about nepotism. There are so many people that receive inheritance, businesses, ect.. all these things give an life advantage way larger than the advantage a 19 y/o has over a 14 y/o in sports. Many of you display an elitist attitude; and believe that you’re the ones that can create a competitive advantage. Yeah there are a “few” kids that may benefit athletically, but how many more people benefit from the aforementioned advantages I stated above?
So what I think you are saying, in a nutshell, is that life is not fair. Totally agree.

Last edited:
Wow, still going.
Nobody cares if you hold your kid back until he pancakes a 14-year-old when he's almost 20.
Weak
Then have your kid take up bowling, golf, tennis, etc. any non-contact sport. As long as it is legal lighten' up buttercup.

Then have your kid take up bowling, golf, tennis, etc. any non-contact sport. As long as it is legal lighten' up buttercup.
That's the whole point of this discussion. 19-years old is not a high school age. The rules encourage uneven competition. They should be modernized.

That's the whole point of this discussion. 19-years old is not a high school age. The rules encourage uneven competition. They should be modernized.
There will ALWAYS be someone "older" , at what point do you say it's "unfair" 3. months 6 months 9 months 5 days Jimmy Chu!? When do you remove your excuses for little Johny losing?? Maybe little Johny just isn't all that good??? What if the 14 year old has a mustache?? and the 18 year old cant grow one yet? How bout that Jimmy Chu!! ??? ;)

The best solution is you become ineligible to participate in sports after 12 years of schooling. You can still attend school but will not be able to partake in sports once your 12 years are up . This would eliminate the extra 7/8 grade hold back.

The best solution is you become ineligible to participate in sports after 12 years of schooling. You can still attend school but will not be able to partake in sports once your 12 years are up . This would eliminate the extra 7/8 grade hold back.

You might want to make this 13 years...K-12. Otherwise, non-holdback seniors would be ineligible.

Recent research shows that, for the most part, holding kids back a grade isn't the best practice. The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) reports that some kids do better in school the first year or two after being held back. But it also says that this effect doesn't last.

Counter proposal, to ensure a level playing field and fair competition, I recommend a mandatory 1-year holdback for all D4 and JH OAC state placers.

Look at these people that graduated high school.
I think they should have went out for the school’s athletic teams.
But, anyway,,, here’s why a 19 y/o can play against your 14 y/o little Johnnie… IT’S IN THE RULES!!!
At this point, no amount of crying that you do won’t change it. Why not? You ask?
One word… COVID. A world-wide pandemic caused thousands of Ohio kids to miss school, fall behind, get quarantined, get hospitalized, etc, etc, etc.
Many parents saw that their children were not getting anything out of remote learning. They saw that their children were missing out on life. So they looked at their options, priorities, and how much they loved their children, and how important an education is, and how important organized athletics are, and withdrew and decided to repeat a grade.
How can they do that? You ask?
Because it’s in the rules.
Even the NCAA gave their student/athletes another year.
You seem to think that a 19 y/o in high school is some kind of sinister or insidious being… it’s not.
On a side note; it looks like the Graham job is open… you should apply and state your true beliefs.

Recent research shows that, for the most part, holding kids back a grade isn't the best practice. The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) reports that some kids do better in school the first year or two after being held back. But it also says that this effect doesn't last.
Just for context this report has nothing to do with holding back for age only regarding sports. Its regarding education based holdbacks... likely based off the 3rd grade reading guarantee if I remember the article correctly.