Hoban's Tim Tyrrell to the University of Akron?

I wouldn't blame Akron if they took a long look at Tyrell or Moore from Massillon.
Thinking a position coach from the NFL would jump to college ranks is a stretch.

A Fantastic choice would be Joe Schaefer. He is presently DC@ Youngstown St.
He knows how to win and he is young so he knows how to handle the kids.
He also more than likely would fit the pay package. He would win the recruiting war in
the Akron/Canton Area.

Akron is a dead end job.

Bowden was able to recruit some players, because he had national name recognition. But even that wasn't enough.

Not much to sell to a recruit. Its basically a commuter college with no tradition, no 'name', no budget, and not much in the way of facilities...and Akron, Ohio is on no kid's list of destinations.

Why anybody would take it I dont know....unless an older coach is looking for a 'retirement' job to boost his pension.

Akron is a dead end job.

Bowden was able to recruit some players, because he had national name recognition. But even that wasn't enough.

Not much to sell to a recruit. Its basically a commuter college with no tradition, no 'name', no budget, and not much in the way of facilities...and Akron, Ohio is on no kid's list of destinations.

Why anybody would take it I dont know....unless an older coach is looking for a 'retirement' job to boost his pension.
No facilities?? Well the stadium is on campus and what other MAC stadium is as new and nice???

The facilities are very nice for a non-P5 school.

Kent State was able to turn the program around with the right guy. No reason UA can't do it.

Reactions: y2h
Akron is a dead end job.

I think Akron has nice facilities for a school their size. Their problems begin and end with an incompetent administration hellbent on running things directly into the ground (academically as well as athletics).

Thinking a position coach from the NFL would jump to college ranks is a stretch.
NFL position coaches jump to the college ranks all the time.

An NFL position coach jumping to the head coaching job at Akron is a stretch.

LOL how bout - a position coach in Miami jumping to the HC job at Akron is a HUGE stretch LOL
I will say, I think the list Bruce Feldman put together is from Akron's perspective, not a realistic one. He's got a list of names that their AD would find as a dream scenario. It would be like me saying:

"Here's the list of women *67 views as potential sexual partners:
Emily Ratajkowski: Slender brunettes with a large chest fit the profile that *67 is looking for.
Kate Upton: slender blondes with a large chest fit the profile that *67 is looking for.
Selma Hayek: Maybe a bit older, but a successful career would be a slam dunk for *67."

When in reality, I'll just settle for my wife.

I think Akron has nice facilities for a school their size. Their problems begin and end with an incompetent administration hellbent on running things directly into the ground (academically as well as athletics).
So, what was the problem before this administration?

And the one before that?

And the one before that?

Akron had a winning program for nearly 30 years, before it went D1. It simply does not have the assets to compete at this level, and coaching and present administration has nothing to do with it.

Both Lee Owens and Terry Bowden are super football coaches, as they have proven everywhere they have been, except Akron. They didn't suddenly become dumb coaches for their stays at AU.

Akron would suddenly be competitive again, if they went back to where it belongs...and it could bring back any of the coaches it has fired since Dennison to do it.

And the one before that?

And the one before that?

Akron had a winning program for nearly 30 years, before it went D1. It simply does not have the assets to compete at this level, and coaching and present administration has nothing to do with it.

Both Lee Owens and Terry Bowden are super football coaches, as they have proven everywhere they have been, except Akron. They didn't suddenly become dumb coaches for their stays at AU.

Akron would suddenly be competitive again, if they went back to where it belongs...and it could bring back any of the coaches it has fired since Dennison to do it.
This is just nonsense - both Owens and Bowden were fired under dubious circumstances.

As far as your facilities/recruits argument, it is clear you are either jaded or just talking to talk.

And the one before that?

And the one before that?

I'd agree that the Akron administration/football program have been a mess since they went D1 with Faust. I've often asked Akron fans whether they'd rather have Akron's D1 FBS or YSU's DI FCS/D2 football history.

That being said, Bowden was and is not a super football coach. His one great year at Auburn was a first year when he took over a team with someone else's recruits. Take that season out and he is 75-75-1 in his career. Even with it, he has a career winning percentage of .543. At Akron, he won a mere 40% of his games. That's miles from being a super coach and the issues involved in his termination at Akron dealt with issues well beyond his abysmal winning percentage.

I will say, I think the list Bruce Feldman put together is from Akron's perspective, not a realistic one. He's got a list of names that their AD would find as a dream scenario. It would be like me saying:

"Here's the list of women *67 views as potential sexual partners:
Emily Ratajkowski: Slender brunettes with a large chest fit the profile that *67 is looking for.
Kate Upton: slender blondes with a large chest fit the profile that *67 is looking for.
Selma Hayek: Maybe a bit older, but a successful career would be a slam dunk for *67."

When in reality, I'll just settle for my wife.
Quitter.

This is just nonsense - both Owens and Bowden were fired under dubious circumstances.

As far as your facilities/recruits argument, it is clear you are either jaded or just talking to talk.
OK

Tell me how you would sell Akron U football against Northern Illinois and Western Michigan.

I dont know where some of you get your info, but...

Bowden career record is 179-129-2....599 winning percentage. Outside of Akron, it is .679.

He was 11-0 in his first year at Auburn. He was also 8-4, 8-4, and 10-3, before getting fired for a bad start in his fifth year. His winning percentage at Auburn was .731. That is the second best in Auburn history, and the best since 1922.

Owens career winning percentage is .585. Not counting Akron, its .693.

Those are pretty darn good numbers for both of them. So you tell me...why cant coaches who win nearly seven out of ten games everywhere else win at Akron?

Changing coaches obviously hasn't been the answer. Changing administrations obviously hasn't been the answer. Changing stadiums obviously hasn't been the answer.

Akrons pay scale for its coaching staff is near the bottom of the MAC.

Akron U simply cannot be a successful D1 football program. In fact, its a D1 in name only. The football program is a drain on the other resources of the University, and at some point in time an intelligent administration will do something about it..

It might be that I know a tad bit more about football recruiting in NE Ohio than you think.

Yes, I am going to question your thoughts and motives here because your first point is that Akron lacks facilities. You are aware they don’t play at the Rubber Bowl anymore, right? Their stadium, indoor, locker rooms, heck, even the DORMS are equal to, or better than, any MAC school. Your question regarding any kid’s list of cities to attend school in is laughable as well - have you been to Ypsilanti, Kalamazoo, or Muncie? What do those places have to offer college age kids? Also, you say UA has no history, but you talk about how great they were pre Faust.

As far as Owens and Bowden, I don’t know if you misunderstood the word “dubious” - IMO neither should have been fired for performance - Owens built the program up and was 7-5 the year they were fired - never should have been let go. Bowden had his share of success as well, but his firing had more to do with him making promises to the administration he didn’t follow through on, and the administration got tired of him pulling these stunts. The record his final year just made it easier for them to get rid of him. Also, the difference between .600 and .700 career winning percentages is negligible, especially when you consider the majority of Owens’ wins came at a D2 school and how many did Bowden have at IAA-DIII schools?

Which brings me to my next point - where do you want to see Akron go? FCS? DII? That’s a moot point because it is not going to happen, from everything I understand the admin is committed to DI status and that is not going to change anytime soon. Also, the admin does have a bearing on the success of a program, but it mostly has to do with money - primarily the coaching salary and recruiting budget.

So, what would I do if I were the next coach at Akron? In short:

1. Re-recruit every kid in the program. I didn’t bring these guys in, and the new coaches didn’t recruit them, so there is going to be a level of distrust amongst everyone involved. However, we need to sell them on the idea that we all want the same thing - to bring a MAC championship to Akron, Ohio, qualify for a bowl game and win it!

2. Not to sound like the Hoban faithful, but hire THE BEST strength coach I can! This man, and his staff, will spend more time with the players than anyone else during the course of the year and he has to be my right hand man. This is something so many people overlook.

3. Create a welcoming and inviting atmosphere amongst the academic faculty. In so many programs there is a disconnect between academics and athletics - get them involved! Let them know they are part of the program as well. This could potentially open doors for you players after their playing career is over, which is the ultimate goal.

4. Create competition in every single aspect of the program - of course everyone talks about this in practice and the weight room, but extend it to the classroom and community as well.

5. Make the program big time - it doesn’t matter if you are D3 Hiram or the lowest DI school, you need to present and carry yourself as if you are playing for a national championship every year.

Obviously, there is more to this, but that would be a starting point to get things back on track. And before you say, “What about recruiting?”, we all know that goes without saying. And, as I pointed out earlier, the ultimate recruiting tool is WINS, but until those start coming on the field, you have to have victories off of it as well.

OK

Tell me how you would sell Akron U football against Northern Illinois and Western Michigan.

I dont know where some of you get your info, but...

Bowden career record is 179-129-2....599 winning percentage. Outside of Akron, it is .679.

He was 11-0 in his first year at Auburn. He was also 8-4, 8-4, and 10-3, before getting fired for a bad start in his fifth year. His winning percentage at Auburn was .731. That is the second best in Auburn history, and the best since 1922.

Owens career winning percentage is .585. Not counting Akron, its .693.

Those are pretty darn good numbers for both of them. So you tell me...why cant coaches who win nearly seven out of ten games everywhere else win at Akron?

Changing coaches obviously hasn't been the answer. Changing administrations obviously hasn't been the answer. Changing stadiums obviously hasn't been the answer.

Akrons pay scale for its coaching staff is near the bottom of the MAC.

Akron U simply cannot be a successful D1 football program. In fact, its a D1 in name only. The football program is a drain on the other resources of the University, and at some point in time an intelligent administration will do something about it..

It might be that I know a tad bit more about football recruiting in NE Ohio than you think.
Pal, I don’t think you know anything about recruiting NE Ohio. I don’t think you know anything
about how to build a winning program. I do think you have an Axe to a Grind with UA.
But the facts are there are a lot of a Coaches that could come to Akron and a Flip this program in 2 years.
It’s all in The a Tangible skill set. You either are a Winner or your looking for your next job.
Pretty Simple.....Winning is Everything. Either you got it or you don’t. Recruiting NE Ohio or Any Part of Ohio
Should be like shooting Fish in a a Barrel. Easypeasy..

Last edited:
Pal, I don’t think you know anything about recruiting NE Ohio. I don’t think you know anything
about how to build a winning program. I do think you have an Axe to a Grind with UA.
But the facts are there are a lot of a Coaches that could come to Akron and a Flip this program in 2 years.
It’s all in The a Tangible skill set. You either are a Winner or your looking for your next job.
Pretty Simple.....Winning is Everything. Either you got it or you don’t. Recruiting NE Ohio or Any Part of Ohio
Your last sentence shows how much you know about it, huh?

I dont know anybody associated with Akron U. I've never been to a Zips game, nor a game for any of their rivals. I've only been to one MAC game in my life. So I have no dog in this fight you want to have.

But I do know about recruiting in NE Ohio...and I do know about what it takes to succeed on the field. First, it takes interest. There is none for Zip football.

When it comes to football fan support, which is a necessity, Akron sits smack in the middle of Buckeye, Browns, and high school football hot beds. It has no chance to develop the fan support that brings in enough money to operate a top tier D1 football program.

The Zips home attendance is just over 10,000 per game. The MAC has the worst average attendance of any D1 conference, and Akron is next to last in the league.

There is nothing wrong...and a lot right...with Akron being a D1 basketball school, like Xavier or Gonzaga. Or playing in a lower football division, like Dayton.

Nothing is going to change any of the biggest foundational problems that face Zip football as a D1 program

1. Who? Where are they?
2. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I've never been to a Zips game.

The Zips home attendance is just over 10,000 per game.

The first sentence supports the second in that if you'd ever been to one you'd know how incorrect the second is! In actuality, that number is a fiction of tickets sold and Akron is hard pressed to put 10K butts in the seats for all but maybe 1 or 2 games a year.

Despite really decent facilities, the program has established ZERO connection to the community and that's been amplified with the lack of success. Hopefully, that's something the new AD and coach can fix.

OK...go ahead and live in a dream world.

Since moving to D1 the Zips have won less than 44% of their games....in spite of changing administrations, changing coaches, and a new stadium.

Its not gonna get better. And even if a new coach performed a short term miracle and turned water into winning football, he would be gone before the cheering stopped.