Hoban's Tim Tyrrell to the University of Akron?

Graveyard type job, nothing seems to have worked; both the old coot, Bowden, or the up and coming young guy, Arth. Maybe they should be like the NFL and hire an Ivy Leaguer that is all in on analytics to run the operation. Work the waiver wir I mean the transfer portal for hidden gems that don't pass the look test but have "won" on the field and build a program that way.
The old coot had success.

Akron's head coaches results this century:

Lee Owens 40-61
JD Brookhart 30-42
Ron Ianello 2-22
Terry Bowden 35-52
Tom Arth 3-24

Tyrell or Nate Moore would do worse?

Akron very tough place to recruit period…Facilities are not very good overall and the location not great either as far as bringing in top-flight talent from the south. You are recruiting the same kids as programs like Coastal Carolina and App State And I don’t believe you are going to win many of those battles especially after factoring in The lack of tradition at Akron. Players want to win…….Tough job for anyone…Not going to get many from the transfer portal either in Akron Ohio… Just My opinion of course.
I agree with you that Akron is a tough place to recruit, but I really don't understand why. The points you make are valid, but don't those same points apply to Kent State and Toledo and Ball State and many other of the MAC schools? They can recruit for basketball and for soccer in the same recruiting environment, so why not football? Taking recruits to the new stadium is light years better than when they had to drive them past the Rubber Bowl!

Reactions: y2h
Say what you will about Akron's program, I still can't see a D1 school hiring a HS football coach. Coaching TE's at YSU 20 years ago is fine, but Akron needs someone who's been in the D1 college environment and already has somewhat of a recruiting base with relationships, and can hit the ground running. It may feel like it's been forever, but we've all seen Akron win football games, and they were in the MAC Championship game as recently as 2017. I don't buy the notion it's tougher to recruit to Akron than other MAC schools. You think it's easy to recruit kids to play in Kalamazoo, Mount Pleasant, Muncie or Ypsilanti? We've seen those schools all become good MAC programs in recent years. I'm in the camp of folks who were surprised they fired Arth, that's not an overnight rebuild, and it looked like they had finally started to get some traction and play some competent football. Unless internally they just came to see he wasn't the guy or up to the roster build. Tyrrell's a terrific HS coach, and if he aspires to be a college HC, he'll probably end up on a college staff somewhere. But that process can take a while, and it's not like he's at the beginning of his coaching career. He may just be as likely to be at Hoban for 30 years.

Last edited:
I agree with you that Akron is a tough place to recruit, but I really don't understand why. The points you make are valid, but don't those same points apply to Kent State and Toledo and Ball State and many other of the MAC schools? They can recruit for basketball and for soccer in the same recruiting environment, so why not football? Taking recruits to the new stadium is light years better than when they had to drive them past the Rubber Bowl!
Everything you mentioned here have a common factor Zips football does not - winning. Wins recruit.

The problem with Arth is that he was at the end of his third year and the team wasn't substantially improved from his first year. His recruiting also appeared to be substandard and he failed to take advantage of the transfer portal at the optimal time to do so. He also made some changes, like going to a smaller faster d-line which ended up getting manhandled on a weekly basis. His coaching staff was inexperienced at a D1 level. In the end, it was just a damn mess.

Certainly, UA is not going to attract the top level D1 recruits but in the MAC there's no need to do so and the schools in the MAC are pretty equal attraction wise so there's no reason UA should substantially lag behind its MAC counterparts as they have. With the exception of a few brief periods of success, UA has been bad at football since they went D1 with Faust so maybe it's just a school that sucks at football but there's no reason that they can't right the ship with the right head coach. Then comes the downside of finding the right guy- if he's good he won't be there long. I suspect KSU will feel that pain before long when Lewis moves on based upon his success there.

I think Tyrrell is a good high school football coach. You go from being a good high school coach to being a college position coach, not to being a D1 head coach.

There are a lot of ties between Hoban and Akron Boosters. I think he gets a look but who knows who else is interested. I have always said he is a college coach at the HS level and his current staff has a couple of college caliber coaches as well. Especially his strength coach and program. Better than a lot of D1 college programs. He has ties in FL and players all over the US from coast to coast currently playing at the College level. Thing is Hoban has a chance after this year to run off 2-3 more chips with what is coming up I am told.

There are a lot of ties between Hoban and Akron Boosters. I think he gets a look but who knows who else is interested. I have always said he is a college coach at the HS level and his current staff has a couple of college caliber coaches as well. Especially his strength coach and program. Better than a lot of D1 college programs. He has ties in FL and players all over the US from coast to coast currently playing at the College level. Thing is Hoban has a chance after this year to run off 2-3 more chips with what is coming up I am told.
If I'm Tyrell - I don't really care about a few more state championships if I can sign a contract for a few million that includes a buyout so another Arth situation doesn't happen to me.

When it was cut and pasted it did not show the heading, absolutely not on purpose, resent your implication btw
Vs MAC teams here were the teams he beat and close games with d1 schools AU 7 Temple 16, beat eastern Mich 14-7 lost to KSU 6-17, Beat EM 14-7, Beat KSU 13-6, beat EM 13-0, beat WM 14-13, beat KSU 24-0, beat EM 16-12, lost to BG 24-27, not bad for operating under D-2 ncaa rules

When it was cut and pasted it did not show the heading, absolutely not on purpose, resent your implication btw
Vs MAC teams here were the teams he beat and close games with d1 schools AU 7 Temple 16, beat eastern Mich 14-7 lost to KSU 6-17, Beat EM 14-7, Beat KSU 13-6, beat EM 13-0, beat WM 14-13, beat KSU 24-0, beat EM 16-12, lost to BG 24-27, not bad for operating under D-2 ncaa rules
Don’t take it personally - solid wins.

Pick one of the 3.
Al Washington 650k
Gerad Parker 650k
Ja’Juan Seider. 650k
Anyone of the 3 would be Uber Successful @ UA.
Or. John Doc Holliday but he comes with a Price Tag. 900k +++
Wrap It

Last edited:
Not sure if this was posted anywhere

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-210403_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-210403_Chrome.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 56
Too bad they can't find a good coach. They now have probably the best stadium in the MAC.... a winning team may draw more than 2,000 they sometimes draw now!

Bruce Feldman covers NCAA football for The Athletic, and posted a story this past weekend listing his favorites for the Akron job. Tyrell is listed, as are a few others already discussed in this thread, along with a few surprises and some perhaps under-the-radar guys with Ohio ties. This seems to be a pretty good list with some impressive young college assistants who may be willing to give this job a shot. Here are each of the guys listed with a snippet from each one's write-up.

Tom Arth is out after three seasons at Akron, as The Athletic first reported. Arth had done well at his alma mater John Carroll, but really struggled getting any traction with the Zips, going 3-24 overall and 2-7 this season. Oscar Rodriguez Jr., the team’s associate head coach, has been named interim head coach.

The biggest name is legendary Ohio State running back Eddie George, sources tell me and colleague Zac Jackson. He’s in his first season as a college coach at FCS Tennessee State; his team is 5-5. George is beloved by almost everyone around him and has put together a very seasoned staff in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Former Louisville and disgraced ex-Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino is seen as another potential option. The Missouri State head coach, now 60, has all sorts of personal baggage but is 11-7 at the Missouri Valley school.

Ferris State’s Tony Annese, also 60, has spent a decade at the Division II school and has his team 10-0. He is also considered a candidate for the job, according to a source. Annese is one of the winningest active coaches in any level of football.

Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Luke Getsy, a former Zips standout who led them to a MAC title, was in the final three to get the head coaching job last time. Would he be willing to leave the NFL now to return to his alma mater?

Miami Dolphins quarterbacks coach Charlie Frye, another former Akron quarterback, also could be an option if he wants to come back to college. We think he’d have a hard time saying no to his alma mater.

Iowa State offensive coordinator Tom Manning, a 38-year-old Youngstown native, has been on Akron’s radar for some time. He’s a former MAC O-line coach at Toledo and was a teammate of his boss Matt Campbell at Mount Union. Manning has helped develop a bunch of standout players at each of his stops.

Notre Dame associate head coach/special teams Brian Polian, a product of Ohio Division III powerhouse John Carroll, has been a key staffer for the Irish and has head coaching experience from his time at Nevada.

Ohio State running backs coach Tony Alford has long been regarded as one of the top position coaches in the country. He grew up in Akron, coached at Mount Union and in the MAC at Kent State and is likely to get a head coaching job sooner or later.

Toledo defensive coordinator Vince Kehres has a sterling record as a head coach, going 95-6 at Mount Union and winning two Division III national titles. Like Getsy, Kehres had strong consideration for the vacancy at Akron last time. He is expected to be a candidate again.

Pitt wide receivers coach Brennan Marion, a Pittsburgh native, grew up about two hours from Akron’s campus. He’s a young, very energetic coach who coordinated some prolific offenses in the FCS at Howard and William & Mary utilizing his “Go-Go Offense.”

Tim Tyrrell, the head coach at nearby Archbishop Hoban High, a powerhouse that has won five state championships in the past six years, also could get in the mix, according to colleague Zac Jackson, who has deep ties around Akron.

Rodriguez also has a shot at getting this job. He is highly respected inside the program. He’s also got an incredibly powerful message. Those who have worked with Rodriguez said don’t underestimate him.

All from this story (may be behind paywall):