Hoban vs Pickerington Central Updates 3/18 (DI Championship)

No, but IMO they are the best team I've seen here. They have a lot of length and athletic physicality.

Centerville did not have the skilled length that was a difference maker for them the last two years. In a game like this final, it's clear Pick Central misses Sonny Styles. Last year the physical athleticism they had between the pair of him and Royal put Pick Central over the top. While they fielded really good teams, to me both Pick Central and Centerville had better squads last year than this year.
Agreed.

I thought that if Hoban had one thing in their favor tonight, it was the fact that there was no off day. After the type of game Pick had last night, which probably felt like the de facto championship game, I thought there was a real chance they might play a little sluggish. Throw in the type of D that Hoban has been playing the last 4 weeks, and I thought they had a chance to make it tough sledding for Pick. Don't know if that was the reason, but Hoban probably played and coached the best basketball in D1 the last month. Happy for TK, he probably never imagined he'd ever have a team that could compete for a title in D1, let alone win one.

A frosh arguably had a better game than Mr. Basketball.. and never backed down...he was fun to watch.. didn't see this reslut coming.
Full disclosure, when the big boy from Hoban came out for the tip off, I thought Royal would get 40 against him... Who knew that a slightly pudgy 9th grader would dominate the paint! I wonder if PC also thought it would be easy? Hoban got every hustle play, didn't do anything stupid and simply outplayed a better team. Congrats!

Congrats to Hoban - what a run. I saw them play twice this year and thought they were a solid well coached team - did not see state champs. Amazing well deserved championship. They beat the best the state had to offer on their way to the top.

Congrats to TK and the Hoban Knights on a signature win. To see him and his son win together was special. The emotion showed in the post game interview tells you all you need to know about this coach and his love for all things Hoban. NE Ohio taking all 4 titles was pretty cool too.

What I saw was Royal constantly passing up open 15 footers and driving out of control into the big guy with some additional help. An open 15 footer has better odds than an out of control drive to basket. I just haven't been able to figure that strategy out that seems to be the way BB is played now.

What I saw was Royal constantly passing up open 15 footers and driving out of control into the big guy with some additional help. An open 15 footer has better odds than an out of control drive to basket. I just haven't been able to figure that strategy out that seems to be the way BB is played now.
Good defense will make an offense play out of synch. Hoban's defense was consistently impressive all tournament. Congrats to the Knights. A well- earned title. They took out 2 of the 3 top ranked teams along the way.

Full disclosure, when the big boy from Hoban came out for the tip off, I thought Royal would get 40 against him... Who knew that a slightly pudgy 9th grader would dominate the paint! I wonder if PC also thought it would be easy? Hoban got every hustle play, didn't do anything stupid and simply outplayed a better team. Congrats!
After watching the semi-finals, I thought Pick would run him off the floor and he'd have little effectiveness. Man, was I wrong. The boys and I were openly rooting for him about 2 minutes until the game! And he started off the year playing JV? Wow.

Hoban earned that ring for sure I think for Pick Central coming off the Centerville game rematch of last years championship coming down to the last shot winning that game felt like the end for them and trying to duplicate the same energy for the real state championship game would be tough. But Sam Greer was the difference maker around the rim and defensively protecting the basket. I can't wait to see how he transforms over the next couple years!

Hoban earned that ring for sure I think for Pick Central coming off the Centerville game rematch of last years championship coming down to the last shot winning that game felt like the end for them and trying to duplicate the same energy for the real state championship game would be tough. But Sam Greer was the difference maker around the rim and defensively protecting the basket. I can't wait to see how he transforms over the next couple years!
Does he play football too? Looks like a future first round offensive tackle. Ryan Day better offer immediately.