Hmmm...A Look At Gilmour Academy's Roster, Playing For A State Championship

Hmmm...A Look At Gilmour Academy's Roster, Playing For A State Championship
I see a roster of players from towns you would expect to be sending players to a school like GA. People familiar with that part of the Cleveland Burbs know that it is common to see "Welcome to XXXXX" signs every 10 minutes going down certain streets.

Do you know that the City of Gates Mills has a little over 2000 residents. With the Median age of 53 years old and median income of 162,000. And there are two prep high schools which use Gates Mills as a post office box(Hawken and Gilmour.) where do you suppose the student athletes are going to come from.

What’s funny is they’ll get beaten by another private school that should’ve been in their own region
OHSAA just puts teams where they want so there really is no should’ve.

They were in same region last year with GA losing to SVSM in the finals.
Hung with them a bit though lol.

Oh and as a long suffering Bengals fan love your Yappi handle!

A review of the Gilmour roster…

2 from wealthy suburban public middle schools (Kirtland, Orange)
1 transferred from SIHS

The remainder (13) are from what would have to be viewed as Gilmour Academy traditional Catholic feeders…Gilmour‘s own elementary, St Francis (Gates Mills), St. Paschal, St. Rita, Gesu, Comm of Saints (fka St Ann)

”Hmmm”…to quote “radio Dave”…the great “gift” of the internet era is that there appears to be no consequence for taking on a topic and coming off as a complete ignoramus.

Last edited:
OHSAA just puts teams where they want so there really is no should’ve.

They were in same region last year with GA losing to SVSM in the finals.
Hung with them a bit though lol.

Oh and as a long suffering Bengals fan love your Yappi handle!
Being the both cities in where the schools are located it’s odd to me that they both aren’t in the same region but I am not the OH$AA and don’t have a say in how those work. And thank you have to support the golden boy from SEO

There are too many D2 schools to all feed into the NorthEast (Canton) regional. They have five districts necessitating one district winner goes to the NorthWest regional which has fewer D2 schools. After the initial seeding the schools can choose which district they go to. Some chose North Ridgeville which feeds the NW regional. A NE district has been going to the NW regional for 20 some years.

Got it? It’s the Math. Nothing nefarious involved.

There are too many D2 schools to all feed into the NorthEast (Canton) regional. They have five districts necessitating one district winner goes to the NorthWest regional which has fewer D2 schools. After the initial seeding the schools can choose which district they go to. Some chose North Ridgeville which feeds the NW regional. A NE district has been going to the NW regional for 20 some years.

Got it? Nothing nefarious involved.

If there weren’t Super Districts, they’d be in the same regional. The Lorain County/Western Cuyahoga schools have been going NW forever.

If there weren’t Super Districts, they’d be in the same regional. The Lorain County/Western Cuyahoga schools have been going NW forever.
Correct, before super districts. Although in the center of downtown Akron in central Summit County, STVM was always assigned to the western regional. That was because the members of the NEODAB didn’t want their schools to have to play them in the tourney. That was subjective placement.

Being the both cities in where the schools are located it’s odd to me that they both aren’t in the same region but I am not the OH$AA and don’t have a say in how those work. And thank you have to support the golden boy from SEO
Even in SEO, all good teams are just AAU teams for that area. Home grown lose in the district to the public AAU’s. Then public AAUs cry about playing private schools ?

Even in SEO, all good teams are just AAU teams for that area. Home grown lose in the district to the public AAU’s. Then public AAUs cry about playing private schools ?
Waverly is all home grown. Western in D4 is all home grown and was a game away from final 4

A review of the Gilmour roster…

2 from wealthy suburban public middle schools (Kirtland, Orange)
1 transferred from SIHS

The remainder (13) are from what would have to be viewed as Gilmour Academy traditional Catholic feeders…Gilmour‘s own elementary, St Francis (Gates Mills), St. Paschal, St. Rita, Gesu, Comm of Saints (fka St Ann)

”Hmmm”…to quote “radio Dave”…the great “gift” of the internet era is that there appears to be no consequence for taking on a topic and coming off as a complete ignoramus.
It sure is good to see CatAlum back after nearly 6-8 years of staying quiet! Welcome back.

Waverly is all home grown. Western in D4 is all home grown and was a game away from final 4
Waverly's best player lives in the town of Piketon. Pretty common for the SOC/OVC best players to not play for their district school. Kertzer lived in Bainbridge but played for Waverly.

The implication is made by someone who clearly doesn't know Cleveland. All of those are Eastside suburbs. Almost all of them are from Catholic schools that feed into a school like Gilmore. It is what you would expect. Now Akron St. Vincent St. Mary's somehow has two kids from Berea on their team.

But hey they are finally getting lights for their football stadium!!

I went to the GA-Mathews football playoff game a while back. With the campus that GA has, I never understood why didn't have lights in their stadium (game was on a Saturday morning).

I went to the GA-Mathews football playoff game a while back. With the campus that GA has, I never understood why didn't have lights in their stadium (game was on a Saturday morning).
Many of the very wealthy schools, historically, have not played their football at night.

Waverly's best player lives in the town of Piketon. Pretty common for the SOC/OVC best players to not play for their district school. Kertzer lived in Bainbridge but played for Waverly.
Coach Robertson has been at Waverly for 15 years, Trey would have been 3. They have lived several different places, but he has taught and coached and Trey has played non stop for Waverly. They moved to Pike Hill Several years ago, but never changed their school residence.

Dont get me wrong, Waverly has benefited from several transfers in the past, but comparing the population pool of Cleveland to Pike County is laughable!

Many of the very wealthy schools, historically, have not played their football at night.

I used to be a correspondent for the Tribune Chronicle. The first (football) game that I ever covered was McDonald @ Southington in 2006. The stadium was small, but pretty filled up. McDonald dominated from start to finish and eventually won 61-6, but I noticed that the Southington fans stayed the whole time. Come to find out, it was their first night game ever because it was their first with lights. In fact, their fans exploded when they finally scored their lone touchdown late in the game. The Trib even sent one of their best writers (John Vargo) to do a special story because they finally had lights.

Being a Warren G. Harding fan, it was a very eye-opening experience. Every week, I'm in a well-lit stadium w/ loud fireworks going off during pregame and after every touchdown. Not to mention that I get to watch top notch talent, especially back then. Yet, I can't count the amount of times that I've seen fans leave early because a loss looks eminent. That McDonald-Southington game was literally over as soon as it started, but their fans were just enjoying the fact that they were able to watch their team play at night.

A bit off topic, but I always think of that game when "stadium lights" are brought up.

Home grown as in they have went to school their for their entire life. Trey has always went to Waverly. As for Kretzer you are right but Walls and Martin were home grown as well

I used to be a correspondent for the Tribune Chronicle. The first (football) game that I ever covered was McDonald @ Southington in 2006. The stadium was small, but pretty filled up. McDonald dominated from start to finish and eventually won 61-6, but I noticed that the Southington fans stayed the whole time. Come to find out, it was their first night game ever because it was their first with lights. In fact, their fans exploded when they finally scored their lone touchdown late in the game. The Trib even sent one of their best writers (John Vargo) to do a special story because they finally had lights.

Being a Warren G. Harding fan, it was a very eye-opening experience. Every week, I'm in a well-lit stadium w/ loud fireworks going off during pregame and after every touchdown. Not to mention that I get to watch top notch talent, especially back then. Yet, I can't count the amount of times that I've seen fans leave early because a loss looks eminent. That McDonald-Southington game was literally over as soon as it started, but their fans were just enjoying the fact that they were able to watch their team play at night.

A bit off topic, but I always think of that game when "stadium lights" are brought up.
Mogadore played at Southington Chalker on a Saturday afternoon. Their stadium was small, bleachers on visitors side almost non existent, but you are correct their fans were dedicated and knew their team was outmatched, they all were true fans until the end. Old Kent State University School always had Saturday afternoon games. I have attended Gilmour games vs Mogadore on a Saturday afternoon early season. Some of the hottest games I've ever sat through!

Home grown as in they have went to school their for their entire life. Trey has always went to Waverly. As for Kretzer you are right but Walls and Martin were home grown as well
I’m just not a fan of the SOC and OVC recruiting compared to the rest of SEO. It’s more their posters complaining schools won’t play them while recruiting their schools athletes. Jackson is also bad about it. Their three best players last year played at Athens, River Valley, and Alexander before. Jackson then will complain the TVC won’t play them ?

I’m just not a fan of the SOC and OVC recruiting compared to the rest of SEO. It’s more their posters complaining schools won’t play them while recruiting their schools athletes. Jackson is also bad about it. Their three best players last year played at Athens, River Valley, and Alexander before. Jackson then will complain the TVC won’t play them ?
We’ve benefited much more in football then hoops 100% can’t deny it but now we won’t have any to my knowledge. You are spot on abt Jackson. Heck even look at Oak Hill years back