Have You Ever Experienced A Fly In?

WACO used to have a fly-in here in Hamilton. Lots of biplanes would come from around the country, lots of fun to watch. Looks like they're having a couple of WACO fly-in events in Troy, Ohio, in Sept.

Oshkosh. MANY years ago. I didn't fly in myself though. Been to air shows, always worth it. Daytona during bike week. I did ride into that one. Dream Cruise, just to watch. No contribution.

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

Class: what is the proper response to : "What was it (the fly) doing in your beer?"

WACO used to have a fly-in here in Hamilton. Lots of biplanes would come from around the country, lots of fun to watch. Looks like they're having a couple of WACO fly-in events in Troy, Ohio, in Sept.
Congrats! You covered both of the bases I was going for (fly in and fly-in). Some years ago, I watched a program (America's Heartland?) where the owners of a farm had an annual fly-in. As an added bonus, they had classic/antique vehicles. I seem to recall the fly-in was around harvest.

Maybe the WACO fly-in was the western Ohio one on the program. Way cool and a great, fun reward for the hard work done by all that season.

Last edited:
Congrats! You covered both of the bases I was going for (fly in and fly-in). Some years ago, I watched a program (America's Heartland?) where the owners of a farm had an annual fly-in. As an added bonus, they had classic/antique vehicles. I seem to recall the fly-in was around harvest.

Maybe the WACO fly-in was the western Ohio one on the program. Way cool and a great, fun reward for the hard work done by all that season.
Two fly ins I recall were back in the 1970 1980 era.

The first was for the Farm Science Review in London Ohio. I was mad because the plane I wanted to ride in was a six passenger and my older brother who hates flying got to go instead of me. So dad took me over to the airport to watch them fly in. I recall literally a small plane leaving or landing every minute or less.

Similar for my second fly in they used to hold at the Dayton air show. Saturday morning planes would come in for a few hours from all directions. Then Sunday morning they would have a hot air balloon fest with probably 20 or more balloons. We lived about 7 miles from the airport so often we got to help with balloon recovery if one landed in our field.

These were primarily newer single engine planes as I recall, not antique war craft or bi planes.