Have message boards become a thing of the past?

I think they are evolving more than dying. Reddit and Twitter are called “social medial” but they are basically just message boards in slightly different formats. Same could even be argued for “chat” apps like discord

Covid stopping games/seasons has had an impact on this site. Can't wait for Fall 2021 for football season. It will hopefully be a return to normal and we can put Covid in the rearview mirror.

As to message boards in general, social media has replaced most websites including message boards...for the worse in my opinion. No one builds websites anymore. They go on social media and work hard so Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg can add a couple more zeros to their net wealth.

One thing I found interesting lately is people on here asking about posters that are MIA. On social media, no one cares. People are just a speck of sand on a giant beach. Here today and gone tomorrow. No one will miss you.

Long story short, message boards will always have a place for those looking for a community. Social media gives you the illusion of having a powerful voice when it is likely very few ever see anything you post.

Agree, I hold a special place in my heart for this Board. Just looked and I joined 16 years ago. I've been arguing with many of the same screen names the entire time yet we could sit next to each other at an event and not know.

Times have changed, I used to get to Yappi for the latest updates where they're easier to find on social media now. But I enjoy coming here for reaction and debate. Once everyone realizes my point of view is always correct....things go smooth.

Thanks for all the work you put into this Yappi

Covid stopping games/seasons has had an impact on this site. Can't wait for Fall 2021 for football season. It will hopefully be a return to normal and we can put Covid in the rearview mirror.

As to message boards in general, social media has replaced most websites including message boards...for the worse in my opinion. No one builds websites anymore. They go on social media and work hard so Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg can add a couple more zeros to their net wealth.

One thing I found interesting lately is people on here asking about posters that are MIA. On social media, no one cares. People are just a speck of sand on a giant beach. Here today and gone tomorrow. No one will miss you.

Long story short, message boards will always have a place for those looking for a community. Social media gives you the illusion of having a powerful voice when it is likely very few ever see anything you post.

This is very accurate in my opinion.

From talking to some younger people, I would say, yes.
They have no idea what I’m taking about when I say I’m on a message board.

They will most likely die with my generation.

Yappi, are there any stats on the average age of users here? Or the age of people who are joining?

I've not lived in Ohio for several years now, but come back to the site to stay informed with a lot of the local sports teams I grew up watching as well as high school goings on that are harder to find out about if you aren't local. Been at it almost 10 years now. I don't post as actively as I used to but show up to read or check out links other posters put out there.

From talking to some younger people, I would say, yes.
They have no idea what I’m taking about when I say I’m on a message board.

They will most likely die with my generation.

Yappi, are there any stats on the average age of users here? Or the age of people who are joining?
No stats but it's definitely older. Early on, we had alot of HS kids registering on here. Nowadays, there are very few. And usually when we get a bunch at once, it's not a good thing. Seems that some HS kids from the same school decide they want to have a little fun at the expense of a teammate and overwhelm a thread for a little while.

No stats but it's definitely older. Early on, we had alot of HS kids registering on here. Nowadays, there are very few. And usually when we get a bunch at once, it's not a good thing. Seems that some HS kids from the same school decide they want to have a little fun at the expense of a teammate and overwhelm a thread for a little while.

HAHA I remember coaches putting in a Yappi ban for their teams. Repercussions if they got caught posting. There were some wild conversations back in the day

Serious question. What is your definition of "back in the day". At my age I feel as if it is the 50s. Is it an "X" number of years ago? What say you.

Serious question. What is your definition of "back in the day". At my age I feel as if it is the 50s. Is it an "X" number of years ago? What say you.

Was that before or after the day you slipped a bomb into Castro's support hose. Gotta remember to light the fuse.

I'd say it depends upon the topic. Message boards? Most probably cant go back before AOL. Some of us knew Planet-forum, Delphi, DECNet. Many here it means puddle.

I'd say 12 or so years ago was when coaches started monitoring. Maybe a bit before that.

Speaking of coaches, the Wrestling page has become a resource connecting many throughout the state. Yappi is the Tinder of matching up teams for duals.

I'm too busy these days to spend more time on here. During the past summer and into the fall and winter, I stayed away as much as I could because I got tired of seeing every thread devolve into a peeing contest regarding COVID.

I'm too busy these days to spend more time on here. During the past summer and into the fall and winter, I stayed away as much as I could because I got tired of seeing every thread devolve into a peeing contest regarding COVID.
in your opinion, when you vomit in your mask around people within 6 feet should you take it off?

I think yappi and others may grow due to banning free speech on twitter ect...if he can keep it open it may become a refuge of the 1st amendment.
They are trying hard to heard us into a echo chamber.

I think yappi and others may grow due to banning free speech on twitter ect...if he can keep it open it may become a refuge of the 1st amendment.
They are trying hard to heard us into a echo chamber.
There are mods on here that keep that from happening. I highly doubt Yappi wants to become the place where people come because they were kicked off other platforms because of their outlandish and unsupported theories. And that goes for both sides.

They're allowed their outlandish and unsupported theories. Nothing wrong with that. They're even given a lot of latitude into how they express them and derogatory demeaner.