Has Canton Mckinley lost its way ?

DC, could you be more specific? In what way have they lost their way?
I think the winning tradition has taken a few bumps and bruises as of the last few years in football, but they still have 3 state titles in the last 6 years in boys and girls hoops.
I don't think the administration has lost the desire to win, they took a chance on Ronjon and we'll see where that goes. I don't want to be a school that has a revolving door on the head football coach's office.
That being said, nobody wants to see the Pups win more than I do, but it's not always a quick fix.

All of whats going on now with the fans, the school admin, and its acceptance of mediocre coaches to run its 2 big programs, has now MAJORLY divided the community, and has now made Mck an embarrassment..And its been building over the last couple of years..

Pupsfan89, you might wanna rethink your statement about the admin, and its so called "desires" ...People are so focused on Tyler Foster's mother when there is a much bigger issue to deal with that people chose to ignore ..And as a result it has caused Mck to lose its way...

As a result,the admin is NOT committed to seeing Mck sports succeed, the fans have turned on one another in a way Ive never seen before..Ive aways knew that you cant make everyone happy no matter who's coaching, but this is a new low..

As for RonJon..as a football fan first, I thought it was totally the wrong hire, not so much as his career record, but for other reasons that go deeper than what the Mck fans are now bickering about, and maybe really arent so informed about...The admin doesnt care about the tradition, the fans have lost sight of what the tradition is at Mck, and as a result, look at where things are now...Canton Mck, has lost its way..

As an Alliance grad, I see where DC is coming from...McKinley has always been the barrier of excellence in Stark County....Every program with the exception of Massillon wanted to reach those high expectations.....and since both the football and basketball have lost some luster it not the same.....Teams that use to fear the Dogs don't anymore.....

What it is IMHO Chocolatecity, prior to Mck joining the fed league, other fed league teams have stepped up their game in the sense of hiring better coaches, and you can throw in the transfer factor that teams have benefitted from as well..Mck has not so much stepped up its game in hiring coaches (other than Brian Cross), who brought an "edge" to Canton Mckinley..just the isssue with Cross was, he couldnt relate to the school outside of his office..

Teams may not fear Mck as they once did, but the fact remains, when teams do beat Mck, they still celebrate as though its a season maker despite the kind of team Mck may have..You go into Fawcett Stadium when Mck plays, and theres nothing inside the stadium that shows a tradition rich program..There are no field logos, no signs, just some graphics on a scoreboard..or maybe some wooden signs propped up against the fences in the endzone...

No swag, no edge, its on life support..The tradition has been taken for granted over the years..Look at the result..

What it is IMHO Chocolatecity, prior to Mck joining the fed league, other fed league teams have stepped up their game in the sense of hiring better coaches, and you can throw in the transfer factor that teams have benefitted from as well..Mck has not so much stepped up its game in hiring coaches (other than Brian Cross), who brought an "edge" to Canton Mckinley..just the isssue with Cross was, he couldnt relate to the school outside of his office..

Teams may not fear Mck as they once did, but the fact remains, when teams do beat Mck, they still celebrate as though its a season maker despite the kind of team Mck may have..You go into Fawcett Stadium when Mck plays, and theres nothing inside the stadium that shows a tradition rich program..There are no field logos, no signs, just some graphics on a scoreboard..or maybe some wooden signs propped up against the fences in the endzone...

No swag, no edge, its on life support..The tradition has been taken for granted over the years..Look at the result..

I agree... Barberton played Timken at Fawcett a couple yrs ago, and there was not much but a few signs or flags that said Can. McK. or Can Tim. I think if done right, Fawcett could be an intimidating place for visiting teams to play.

McK. is a top School, and I don't know about what is going on at McK, but when your McK, I think you have to live up to expectations in the sports programs. If one isn't getting things done, I think you may want to look at who is out there to put that sports program back on top.

I agree... Barberton played Timken at Fawcett a couple yrs ago, and there was not much but a few signs or flags that said Can. McK. or Can Tim. I think if done right, Fawcett could be an intimidating place for visiting teams to play.

McK. is a top School, and I don't know about what is going on at McK, but when your McK, I think you have to live up to expectations in the sports programs. If one isn't getting things done, I think you may want to look at who is out there to put that sports program back on top.

Once you lose pride, and lose sight of what makes you what you are, if indeed youre fortunate enough to experience a great deal of success, its so easy to take it for granted..Thats what has happened or is happening to Canton Mck..It really started to show itself after the back to back State football championships...Its sad to watch the whole thing crumble..Again, with the recent mess thats currently going on with Mck, its not about 1 woman who people see as being the destroyer of the program, or a clueless BOE, because its first about the kids, and those who TRULY support those kids.....The people complain about how bad this BOE is, this isnt the first time that this current board has been incompetent, because when it was time to vote them out of their seats, no one went to the polls, and now look whats happening..People have lost pride in what makes Canton Mckinley a tradition rich program, and now everyone is divided moreso than ever, and has chosen to give into their egos...

People dont realize in this current mess, that those who think The Foster lady and those who oppose coach Johnson are the ones tearing Mck down, they indeed need to look in the mirrior. Because many of these same folks were calling for a coaching change after that last playoff game of last season, or during that now famous Hoover game debacle or the Glenoak playoff game of 2010....Do the people TRULY care about the current situation at hand ? or is it just about choosing sides to be part of a group ?..I know that you'll never please everyone with whos running the show, but egos from both supporters and non supporters, are the true culprits of what makes people shake their heads in disgust when it involves discussing Canton Mck these days..

Johnson said he was going to come in here and change our program around and i'll be dog gone he did!.. with help though! We always said that nobody is bigger than the program , not only is he bigger than our program he is bigger than our community! johnson supporters have supported everything he has done and have encouraged him (through posts on message boards, to sue the city at its foundation) They have protested on his behalf simply because he was not renewed to be the coach for our? opps beloved program ...the way it was done was wrong, but is it worth the suffering of our community and team for a man to try to get rich over a less than $8000 stipend? He still has his $65,000 job here in the ccs but he has suffered a great loss according to his supporters (8G's) ........PRIDE! that's all

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADTION GO PUPS! TRUE DOG MOTTO

where tradition is being measured by lawsuits, and success is valued by AN ARMY OF ONE!

I thought nobody was bigger than THE MCKINLEY PROGRAM !... IAM BEING PROVED WRONG

former Mckinley fans have abandoned the program that they said they loved all because of the non renewal of one particular coach! what did the program do to him? it was the boe who didnt renew his contract not the program! that tells me that he is indeed more important than our program even though he still gonna make 65000 from our community and the program get's nothing from those who help pay his salary (former fans)

are you one of those former fans? if you are, I see why you dont get it...i hope this shed's some light for you ...and if your not then you should be able to understand where im coming from

former Mckinley fans have abandoned the program that they said they loved all because of the non renewal of one particular coach! what did the program do to him? it was the boe who didnt renew his contract not the program! that tells me that he is indeed more important than our program even though he still gonna make 65000 from our community and the program get's nothing from those who help pay his salary (former fans)

are you one of those former fans? if you are, I see why you dont get it...i hope this shed's some light for you ...and if your not then you should be able to understand where im coming from

no - it wasn't because they non-renewed him - it was the way it happened. the way the dismissal came about looked very bad from the outside. in 2009 i was so p*ssed after the hoover game that i wanted him out right then - and it is still my belief had he lost to Massillon in 09' he was going to be shown the door. i never liked the offense and the defensive philosophy was awful - but when you renew a guy for his main teaching contract then take away his coaching stipend it looks completely stupid to those outside looking in. i was a supporter under johnson and will remain one under filtz - as i am very impressed from what i see so far.

what people did not want was a chaotic situation that saw many of mck's best players transferring because of the coaching change that was made. you cannot create a hostile atmosphere where nobody wants to come and play at your school - like the moeller QB who would have transferred in. it was not so much a personal situation with johnson - but the fallout from the non-renewel that had people scared that the situation was a disaster - and not fixable.

i was happy with the pick for coach - and i will continue to support. i just did not want to see things go down this way. but now it is time to move on - and i think people will support coach filtz.

my nephew played the same OL position as your son (under cross and RJ) except it was on the opposite side - so i have been involved and at the meetings the past few years - and while i agree the coaching was sub-standard at times - there was no excuse for some people acting the way they did at the meetings.

all that said - there is no excuse not to get behind coach filtz now - i will move on and support - hopefully the rest of the mck base does too.

I'm behind coach Filtz 100% and hope more Bulldog fans feel the same way.

GO BULLDOGSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

former Mckinley fans have abandoned the program that they said they loved all because of the non renewal of one particular coach! what did the program do to him? it was the boe who didnt renew his contract not the program! that tells me that he is indeed more important than our program even though he still gonna make 65000 from our community and the program get's nothing from those who help pay his salary (former fans)...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say that's absolutely not true for me. I haven't "abandoned" the program, but I have withdrawn financial support beyond game day (which for me is only a few games a year). But, it has nothing to do with the non-renewal of the coach. It has everything to do with the manner in which the BOE and Administration has been conducting business....before, during, and since the non-renawal of Johnson.

For example, one of the Board members (Ryan Brahler) didn't see a problem with taking an email that I sent to all of the BOE members and posting it in a forum with my name attached to it. That is an abuse of power and that happened long after Johnson was let go. Another Board member (Milligan) asked me to call him to discuss my discontent with Brahler's actions. Why? Because, as he said it, "email is subject to public information requests." Board business that avoids a paper trail for the sake of hiding things is piss poor business.

I agree, no coach is bigger than the program. Likewise, neither is any player. That said, the program is a part of something bigger....it's part of the school, it's part of the district, it's part of the city. Ignoring the many bad practices within the district and city for the benefit of the program is something that I cannot do.

That said, come Saturday, my comments on this forum will be all about the program. The kids on the team, the coaches, the parents, the fans.....they deserve a season that isn't negatively impacted by the discontent with the BOE and administration. There is a time and place to address those issues and I fully understand that a sports discussion forum in the middle of the season isn't one of them.

This team has the moral support of a whole lot of people. Financial support, from some of us, is up to the BOE and system administration because we place education at a higher level than sports.

Walsh Jesuit comes into Fawcett Saturday night...I'll be listening online and pulling for McKinley to come away with a victory. Offline, or at least in other venues, I'll continue to work to improve circumstances within the district and for the program. Why? Because it is my alma mater and I'm going to fight to make sure that the students today have the same opportunities that I had 30 years ago even though I haven't lived there for the past 25 years.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

just a fan -- let hoffy show you the way --- it seems you are in a sports forum , but really you are trying to fight a battle that is outside the sports realm.... i , the great hoffy, suggest you use the general board or the debate forum , this is where the real smart posters go .... Mck football team is now in good hands because we finally got it right on the hiring of a good coach ...Ron Johnson was not a very good football coach ... some would say terrible , but i will just sau below avergae for what should be the standard at mck .... the BOE , they got it right with the hire ... jaf - jaffy -jaf -- i give you credit for standing up and not being one of those fake Mck fans who are now Salem HS season ticket holders ... NoONE can deny that week 1 had a different feel about it ..a good feeling ..one that we have nt had too much in the past 4 yrs ..HOFFY IS A DEMI_GOD

I stopped by the school the other day and spoke to grown-ups there who say coach Filtz is much liked by all of them.

McKinley has a fine young. young coach. But he seems older than 29 years, and coaches with a confidence I like. His first game was just that, with all the mistakes that go with them. But when McKinley came back from 14-0 to score 4 touchdowns in a row, I became very impressed with the coaching staff.
They never panicked. And the team didn't, either. :thumb:

I stopped by the school the other day and spoke to grown-ups there who say coach Filtz is much liked by all of them.

McKinley has a fine young. young coach. But he seems older than 29 years, and coaches with a confidence I like. His first game was just that, with all the mistakes that go with them. But when McKinley came back from 14-0 to score 4 touchdowns in a row, I became very impressed with the coaching staff.
They never panicked. And the team didn't, either. :thumb:
indeed bulldogbob- again , not to bash the former coach , but based on his track record of losing big leads ( see Mooney , Medina and of course Hoover ) , how comfortable would any of us felt had he still been at the helm??

indeed bulldogbob- again , not to bash the former coach , but based on his track record of losing big leads ( see Mooney , Medina and of course Hoover ) , how comfortable would any of us felt had he still been at the helm??

Imo It would have been a losing season with RJ. We didn't have anything near the depth of talent this past year than the last three years, and his philosophy of strict platooning would have lost us tight games we managed to win this year because our D- line was better rotated and had the energy needed in the fourth quarter to win. He wouldn't have thought outside the box enough to play Glover-Williams quarterback, either.

I'm liking the fact that we want to run more in Filtz's offense. We had gotten away from that for awhile, and it was good to see us get back to traditional McKinley bread and butter. I'm really looking forward to the added dimension of Glover-Williams' passing this year. If the guys in the trenches improve, too, we might be very, very scary on offense...:eek:

Imo It would have been a losing season with RJ. We didn't have anything near the depth of talent this past year than the last three years, and his philosophy of strict platooning would have lost us tight games we managed to win this year because our D- line was better rotated and had the energy needed in the fourth quarter to win. He wouldn't have thought outside the box enough to play Glover-Williams quarterback, either.

I'm liking the fact that we want to run more in Filtz's offense. We had gotten away from that for awhile, and it was good to see us get back to traditional McKinley bread and butter. I'm really looking forward to the added dimension of Glover-Williams' passing this year. If the guys in the trenches improve, too, we might be very, very scary on offense...:eek:

How would you like to see the JR QB transfer from Orville at QB and Eric Glover at RB?

I think McKinley would be better!:)

ping
— noun

1. a short high-pitched resonant sound, as of a bullet striking metal or a sonar echo

2. computing a system for testing whether internet systems are responding and how long in milliseconds it takes them to respond

— verb

3. to make such a noise

4. computing to send a test message to (a computer or server) in order to check whether it is responding or how long it takes it to respond

I am using it as a short reply to keep the thread and this section of Yappi active.
If postings don't occur at least once in 10 days the threads go dormant and eventually
lost.

:>---