Great Sportsmanship Story

MoeDude

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
I know this isn't a debate topic but with all the vitriol flying around these days I thought a great story of sportsmanship would be good to share. This comes out of the Eastern Cincinnati Conference and occurred during a Milford- Winton Woods lacrosse game on April 30th. I have two nephews who play for Milford and unfortunately I missed this game but recently heard about it. This was told by one of the referees of the game.

Eastern Cincinnati Conference

As the high school spring sports season starts to wind down, we wanted to bring to your attention a great act of sportsmanship from a recent Milford-Winton Woods ECC Boys Lacrosse contest.
See below for more details provided by Shawn Troknya, one of the officials that worked the game that day.
From referee Shawn Troknya:
I've been officiating football (high school and NCAA D3) for about 12 years, boys lacrosse for about 10 years, and Box Lacrosse for 6 years. I've been working year round for the past 5 years officiating all sorts of sports and I enjoy every minute of it and I see about 200+ games a season.
On Saturday, April 30th your two teams played at Milford. I've known both coaches for as long as I can remember. Conor (Peck) from his time at Walnut Hills to CHCA to Milford and working with him during Winter Resolute Box league. And Christian (Twitty) from his time at Winton Woods.

After the 1st period, the score was 14-0 (in favor of Milford) and Conor called our Referee over to discuss allowing some of his players to join Winton Woods and make the game more competitive and meaningful. Christian and Conor agreed and some of the Milford players joined the Winton Woods players and donned their red pinnies and we continue the game.

2nd period was awesome to watch the new red and blue teams start to mesh and score a few goals. Then at halftime the new red and blue Winton Woods teams sat together and continued meshing and getting to know each other. And one of the Milford coaches took some time and worked with the Winton Woods goalie.

The rest of the game was exciting to work and listen to the support of those in attendance. From an officials standpoint, this was a different game to work, but from a personal perspective this is what sports and community is all about. These two guys are doing great things for the young men that they are coaching and I enjoy working games with these two on the sidelines.

Unfortunately we don't see enough stories like this.

Yappi if you don't think this belongs here feel free to move it or tell me where to put it.

Last edited:

Out of curiosity, are these varsity programs or "club" programs? I just wonder if the OHSAA has any rules regarding players swapping teams. Also and you'd know this from an officials standpoint, once a game is decided to not be a true contest - more of a scrimmage, I've always understood that the officials are longer have liability for the contest and refuse to officiate.

Those things aside, this is a fantastic story and one I wish would happen so much more often in all sports.

I know this isn't a debate topic but with all the vitriol flying around these days I thought a great story of sportsmanship would be good to share. This comes out of the Eastern Cincinnati Conference and occurred during a Milford- Winton Woods lacrosse game on April 30th. I have two nephews who play for Milford and unfortunately I missed this game but recently heard about it. This was told by on of the referees of the game.

dtn6ia96tug0hgat9 ·
As the high school spring sports season starts to wind down, we wanted to bring to your attention a great act of sportsmanship from a recent Milford-Winton Woods ECC Boys Lacrosse contest.
See below for more details provided by Shawn Troknya, one of the officials that worked the game that day.
I've been officiating football (high school and NCAA D3) for about 12 years, boys lacrosse for about 10 years, and Box Lacrosse for 6 years. I've been working year round for the past 5 years officiating all sorts of sports and I enjoy every minute of it and I see about 200+ games a season.
On Saturday, April 30th your two teams played at Milford. I've known both coaches for as long as I can remember. Conor (Peck) from his time at Walnut Hills to CHCA to Milford and working with him during Winter Resolute Box league. And Christian (Twitty) from his time at Winton Woods.

After the 1st period, the score was 14-0 (in favor of Milford) and Conor called our Referee over to discuss allowing some of his players to join Winton Woods and make the game more competitive and meaningful. Christian and Conor agreed and some of the Milford players joined the Winton Woods players and donned their red pinnies and we continue the game.

2nd period was awesome to watch the new red and blue teams start to mesh and score a few goals. Then at halftime the new red and blue Winton Woods teams sat together and continued meshing and getting to know each other. And one of the Milford coaches took some time and worked with the Winton Woods goalie.

The rest of the game was exciting to work and listen to the support of those in attendance. From an officials standpoint, this was a different game to work, but from a personal perspective this is what sports and community is all about. These two guys are doing great things for the young men that they are coaching and I enjoy working games with these two on the sidelines.

Yappi if you don't think this belongs here feel free to move it or tell me where to put it.

More of these nice things go on than we seem to allow. I'm not saying ignore the bad things. Swastika's are a teaching opportunity. But man, were imploding with all the one-sided doom.

I know this isn't a debate topic but with all the vitriol flying around these days I thought a great story of sportsmanship would be good to share. This comes out of the Eastern Cincinnati Conference and occurred during a Milford- Winton Woods lacrosse game on April 30th. I have two nephews who play for Milford and unfortunately I missed this game but recently heard about it. This was told by one of the referees of the game.

This is ghey. What if Milford ended up losing?