Golf 2021

So I am looking for a set of irons...used to be able to break 100, so I'm not too bad.

Want to start playing more.

I'm seeing some sets out there for about $500 or so...any recommendations?
Most of the sets out there are full sets with woods, irons and a putter. They are generally not good quality. I'd look for a good 2 or 3 year old set of irons then put together your driver, etc.

As far as a set of new irons at a reasonable price, this is the last year's Cleveland set that has been well received and you can now find at a reasonable price. https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf...Q5_lGar_yeDvYpRtKqQGzj3pgDP0unF8aAo1aEALw_wcB

Shoot me a PM with any questions. I like shopping gold clubs and cars, yet rarely buying them.

Most of the sets out there are full sets with woods, irons and a putter. They are generally not good quality. I'd look for a good 2 or 3 year old set of irons then put together your driver, etc.

As far as a set of new irons at a reasonable price, this is the last year's Cleveland set that has been well received and you can now find at a reasonable price. https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf...Q5_lGar_yeDvYpRtKqQGzj3pgDP0unF8aAo1aEALw_wcB

Shoot me a PM with any questions. I like shopping gold clubs and cars, yet rarely buying them.
Thanks for the tips!

Got out to Shale Creek, first round of the season, this past week. Looks like they lowered their rates slightly, and it continues to be one of the best tracks in NE Ohio. Need to get through my summer basketball season which is stacked up in June, and hopefully get more rounds in July and August

Played a really difficult course on Long Island this week, Montauk Downs. It was just named one of the country's best muni courses (along with Sleepy Hollow and Manakiki). Designed by Robert Trent Jones with a redesign of some holes by his son Rees in 2002. If my have been the most difficult course I have ever played with even small mistakes punished. Fortunately, I was driving it well and had a good day with my hybrid and middle irons.

Got out to Shale Creek, first round of the season, this past week. Looks like they lowered their rates slightly, and it continues to be one of the best tracks in NE Ohio. Need to get through my summer basketball season which is stacked up in June, and hopefully get more rounds in July and August
I've always enjoyed played Shale. I hope to get out there again, this summer, hopefully with Myron.

Played a really difficult course on Long Island this week, Montauk Downs. It was just named one of the country's best muni courses (along with Sleepy Hollow and Manakiki). Designed by Robert Trent Jones with a redesign of some holes by his son Rees in 2002. If my have been the most difficult course I have ever played with even small mistakes punished. Fortunately, I was driving it well and had a good day with my hybrid and middle irons.
What were you doing in New York, Clark? No one in Ohio would let you on? ;)

I've begun getting more rounds in. I'm not saying I'm getting better, though. I have been having a horrible time putting.

Ok, 42/39 this morning at Sleepy Hollow. Best round of the year. Finished with 3 pars. We all know what I will shoot tomorrow.................. 90-95

Well, the Golf Gods took a on me this morning. I started off with a bogie, which is not a bad beginning, then things turned wacky. My drive on #2 was smack down the middle, then Bill Murray, the mower guy took over. He decided that after mowing 1/2 of the green, he would pull off to the right edge. Well, in trying to keep away from him, I yanked my approach. I walked off with a double. I'm pizzed

He decided that he hadn't fu**ed me over enough, so he jumps onto the next green and parks behind and to the left. Yep, a shank into the weeds/creek. Now I'm totally discombobulated. Another double.

I held onto this the rest of the round, finishing with a 47. No pars.

Nothing but ugliness and on 15 I can't keep out of the trees. By then, a cloud of anger is visible above my head.

I decided to pick up my ball and drive the remainder of the round. I normally don't pick up my ball, but visions of a meltdown on 16 danced around in my head, so I decided that instead of putting on a club throwing exhibition, I'll just cool down.

Tomorrow is another day.

Well, the Golf Gods took a on me this morning. I started off with a bogie, which is not a bad beginning, then things turned wacky. My drive on #2 was smack down the middle, then Bill Murray, the mower guy took over. He decided that after mowing 1/2 of the green, he would pull off to the right edge. Well, in trying to keep away from him, I yanked my approach. I walked off with a double. I'm pizzed

He decided that he hadn't fu**ed me over enough, so he jumps onto the next green and parks behind and to the left. Yep, a shank into the weeds/creek. Now I'm totally discombobulated. Another double.

Nothing but ugliness and on 15 I can't keep out of the trees. By then, a cloud of anger is visible above my head.

I decided to pick up my ball and drive the remainder of the round. I normally don't pick up my ball, but visions of a meltdown on 16 danced around in my head, so I decided that instead of putting on a club throwing exhibition, I'll just cool down.

Tomorrow is another day.
The game is very humbling.

Tomorrow is another day.
I feel for you brother. Tonight I was 2 over through the first five then 10 over for the last 4. What an awful damn finish. Effing game!

Had my first ever club fitting today. Fun process. It was interesting to see the numbers and see how close my guesses had been. To the fitter's credit, he didn't put the big sell on me. In fact, he advised me to stick with my current driver as he couldn't find something that performed better. He did get me into a new set of irons and put a club together with a 5 wood shaft on a 7 wood head that is an absolute beast going as far as my current 3 wood with a better trajectory.

Second eagle, ever, this morning. A 155 yards 6 iron to a blind green on #1. We couldn't find the ball until one guy looked in the hole. I thought he was joking with me. The God Gods were smiling on me as I birdied #2. They got me back with an ugly 6 on #9. Still, 39/42, which I was thrilled with. Yep, tomorrow I won't be able to find a green.

Second eagle, ever, this morning. A 155 yards 6 iron to a blind green on #1. We couldn't find the ball until one guy looked in the hole. I thought he was joking with me. The God Gods were smiling on me as I birdied #2. They got me back with an ugly 6 on #9. Still, 39/42, which I was thrilled with. Yep, tomorrow I won't be able to find a green.
Congrats! I suspect the blind green was the key! LOL.

Farthest I have ever holed out was at about 70 yards, I will say seeing it roll into the hole from the fairway was a big thrill so you missed one of the best parts. Have had a couple eagles, best was not above mentioned hole out but stringing together 3 perfect shots on a par 5 including a long curling put that went right in the middle of the hole.

I've had 3. The first was on a par 5 where I cut the corner and was on in 2 and made a 20 foot downhiller. The second was second shot on a par 4 from about 70 yards. The last was on a short par 4 where I drove it on the green and made a 10 footer. The second was the most memorable as I was playing with my then teenage son.

I have never had an ace nor an eagle! I did get a double-eagle on a short par 5 with a one iron (!). I saw the ball hit in front of the green and take a couple low, short bounces and then lost it. My dad and son did not see the flag move nor did I. Thought for sure the ball rolled off the the back of the green and downhill into the lake. After looking in the shallows for a few seconds, my son found it "in the hole"!

The rest of the story: Thanks to that gift on the 4th hole, I was even after 6. (Wow)! Doubled the following short par 4 (lake and fast, elevated green) and bogeyed the next two to finish the front with a 40, my best ever at that time. Back to normal on the back side with a 44. All in all, a real good day.

Last edited:
Played a nice front nine Sunday morning at Fairfield, didn’t lose any balls and had a couple chances for birdie on 2 separate holes , 3 year golfer that just keeps getting better