Golf 2021

I can't believe that no one has started this yet, but here goes....................... Plans for the spring and summer? Courses you will be playing. Tell us about some of your interesting rounds.

I've only been out 4 times this year, and it will be a challenge getting out much until mid May. Oldest granddaughter is running track, oldest grandson playing travel baseball and city rec league baseball, and youngest granddaughter playing softball.

Interesting afternoon on the links at the course where I am a member. #7 tee box is elevated and overlooks #3 green. As we were about to tee off, we heard some noise and looked down. Two young men had driven into trap. Yep, right into the trap and had to push the cart out. They then proceeded to drive up the WALKWAY onto the fringe. After putting out, they got into the cart and drive onto the green to exit.

At the turn we reported the incident. After we finished, the woman from the clubhouse met us and told us that the gentlemen were confronted and told to never do that again. They responded that they had never played this course before and didn't know.

Well, HAS IT BEEN OK TO DO THAT ON ANY OTHER COURSE?

I've played twice. Hit balls 3 or 4 times. First practice round for my league is this week. I plan to do a club fitting once I get into the season.

Headed to Kiawah for the Wednesday practice round of the PGA in May.

Not a fan of early spring golf in Ohio, primarily because my work is still in its "busy season" but also because most courses are still soaking wet from the winter. It's no fun looking for plugged balls and conditions are usually not very consistent as the maintenance guys struggle to keep up while dodging the spring showers. I will start to get out in a week or so then really ramp up in mid May.

Not a fan of early spring golf in Ohio, primarily because my work is still in its "busy season" but also because most courses are still soaking wet from the winter. It's no fun looking for plugged balls and conditions are usually not very consistent as the maintenance guys struggle to keep up while dodging the spring showers. I will start to get out in a week or so then really ramp up in mid May.

I was shocked how hard the course was last week. The dry spring has made things very different than most years. The mud, cold breezes and heavy air usually make spring golf a trudge but the two times I have played this year have been a pleasant surprise.

I've played 10 times already in and around the Youngstown area, and other than yesterday (Sunday 4/11), the course conditions have been fabulous. Up until Saturday night, we've had a relatively dry spring, with higher-than-normal temperatures; this on top of a relatively mild winter in terms of total snowfall accumulation. The combination has resulted in a very pleasant and much-different-than-usual springtime golfing experience.

Fore!

Folks from the east side of Cleveland have known about the legendary course, Highland Park, and it now appears it is making somethin of a rebound.

The conditions were borderline unplayable at times but the greens were always fast and the location ideal. The Blue course is actually a top notch run that plays over 6700 yards with a par 71, hosted a PGA event back in the day. The par 4s are a bear, 7 are over 400 yards long with 3 over 450 yards long; a lot of elevation change too. They also reclaimed wet lands for the creek that runs through the course, some of the carries over this are now 50+ yards which adds to the difficulty. Tony Grossi calls 18 the toughest finishing hole in all of Cleveland.

Played yesterday for first time in Cincinnati, course was in great shape . Still struggling off tee box but rest of game was solid

I've played 10 times already in and around the Youngstown area, and other than yesterday (Sunday 4/11), the course conditions have been fabulous. Up until Saturday night, we've had a relatively dry spring, with higher-than-normal temperatures; this on top of a relatively mild winter in terms of total snowfall accumulation. The combination has resulted in a very pleasant and much-different-than-usual springtime golfing experience.

Fore!

What courses have you played in the Youngstown area?

I LOVE Reserve Run and really like Kensington. I also like Firestone Farms. A lot of people speak highly of Mill Creek, but it just doesn't do anything for me. Salem Hills? Flying B?

I got out for the 5th time, this afternoon. It was a little chilly and there was a pretty good breeze. The wind was doing some funny things with our shots, but I was just happy to get out.

Marking May 28th on my calendar. Retirement Day.

My son is going to take up the game (he's played in several scrambles using my old clubs) and I've decided to start playing again after a 5+ year hiatus. Son needs his own clubs and mine are 20 years old, so I'm looking as well. Spoke to a friend who suggested looking online via 2nd Swing for clubs and will look at Dick's Sporting Goods too. My son is set on buying a Callaway Strata set, but I'd like to spend a bit more , any suggestions?

I went to a pro, got fitted, and ordered through him. I play Pings, but given my golf game, it probably wouldn't matter what I played.

Got mine off of ebay. Got pretty lucky as all the clubs were in really good shape. Callaway irons. Cobra woods and driver. Couple of cleveland wedges. Putter was only thing I bought new.

Started with the irons. Then added the rest one at a time over several months.

I was just picking the game back up too and also had 20+ year old clubs. Took a chance and got lucky I think. Just pay real close attention to the pics.

Buying used clubs over the internet makes me nervous, but i might have to take a chance since I don't want to spend too much on clubs.

Buying used clubs over the internet makes me nervous, but i might have to take a chance since I don't want to spend too much on clubs.
I paid about $150 with shipping for my irons. I looked them up online and at someplace like pga store they were about $300 used. New they were like $700-800 retail when they came out. They aren't the latest model but newer than what I had. They play great. As I said, I may have got lucky. There are a few used golf stores that sell on ebay. One I remember in dallas and another I think in atlanta.

Do you have a play it again sports nearby? Their club selection is hit and miss and obviously depends on what people bring in but you can see and touch them if that's important. Last time I was there they did have some newer clubs in good shape. More in the $300 range for what I saw at the one in dayton.

You can PM if you want for more info. Good luck!

Check out the Callaway Preowned site. Their stuff is generally decent quality and you can rely on the descriptions. callawaygolfpreowned.com

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I enjoy shopping golf clubs.

Played my 1st 9 holes on Saturday and for the most part played well. I always seem to do well to start the season, my guess is it is before the bad habits creep back in and take over roughly in July. Supposed to start league play on Wednesday, the good news is the temps will be in the '70s, the bad news is it is over 70% chance of rain. Spring golf in Ohio is a challenge...

What courses have you played in the Youngstown area?

I LOVE Reserve Run and really like Kensington. I also like Firestone Farms. A lot of people speak highly of Mill Creek, but it just doesn't do anything for me. Salem Hills? Flying B?
So far I've played quite a bit at Yankee Run, Pine Lakes, and Oak Tree. Golfed once at Reserve Run, that's one of my favorites also, will be back for sure. Kennsington has grown on me over the years, Firestone Farms not so much, although it's a great course with some challenging holes.
I'll usually get to Flying B a couple times each summer, same with Salem Hills, but I like Flying B better. Mill Creek is an old, traditional Donald Ross design, I like playing there even though it doesn't quite have the pizazz of the newer courses. I've got a couple of friends who are members of Avalon, so I'll get in a few rounds each at Squaw Creek, Buhl, Avalon Lakes, and now the old New Castle CC. Plus looking forward to an outing at Youngstown Country Club later this summer.

First night of league play tomorrow. Haven't swung a club in a couple of weeks. Headed to the range tonight for some painful lessons in muscle memory.

I've only played a couple times. The fun part is hitting the ball. Why do so many people spend so much money in order to do that less?

Game makes no sense.

So far I've played quite a bit at Yankee Run, Pine Lakes, and Oak Tree. Golfed once at Reserve Run, that's one of my favorites also, will be back for sure. Kennsington has grown on me over the years, Firestone Farms not so much, although it's a great course with some challenging holes.
I'll usually get to Flying B a couple times each summer, same with Salem Hills, but I like Flying B better. Mill Creek is an old, traditional Donald Ross design, I like playing there even though it doesn't quite have the pizazz of the newer courses. I've got a couple of friends who are members of Avalon, so I'll get in a few rounds each at Squaw Creek, Buhl, Avalon Lakes, and now the old New Castle CC. Plus looking forward to an outing at Youngstown Country Club later this summer.
You're killing me, Cold. LOL Remember Pine Lakes and caddied at Oak Tree. Good memories. Hit 'em good!

I bought a my used set of old man irons (hybrid 4 & 5, regular 6-PW) at Foxy Golf. I know they have at least 2 locations (Turkeyfoot and Belden Village). They had a pretty large selection of used clubs. And because they are used, they don't care how long you bash balls into the net in the back of the store. And 20 years ago I got lucky in a pawn shop.

My son is going to take up the game (he's played in several scrambles using my old clubs) and I've decided to start playing again after a 5+ year hiatus. Son needs his own clubs and mine are 20 years old, so I'm looking as well. Spoke to a friend who suggested looking online via 2nd Swing for clubs and will look at 's Sporting Goods too. My son is set on buying a Callaway Strata set, but I'd like to spend a bit more , any suggestions?
Many years ago, my uncle took classes to learn how to "make" golf clubs, so he "made" a set for me as a HS graduation gift. By "made," I selected and paid for the components from a catalog (club heads, shafts, and grips), and he assembled them for me. Some time after we ordered the components, we drove to a warehouse 30 miles away to pick them up. The club heads in the catalog were mostly knock-offs. I chose the King Cobra knock-offs which were called Crown Vipers. At my uncle's recommendation, I chose slightly longer shafts since I'm 6'2", so people under 6' probably wouldn't enjoy playing with them.

I was able to get out this Tuesday, but a planned day off today didn't work out. This weekend of also toast. This weather sucks.

Many years ago, my uncle took classes to learn how to "make" golf clubs, so he "made" a set for me as a HS graduation gift. By "made," I selected and paid for the components from a catalog (club heads, shafts, and grips), and he assembled them for me. Some time after we ordered the components, we drove to a warehouse 30 miles away to pick them up. The club heads in the catalog were mostly knock-offs. I chose the King Cobra knock-offs which were called Crown Vipers. At my uncle's recommendation, I chose slightly longer shafts since I'm 6'2", so people under 6' probably wouldn't enjoy playing with them.
Got a set of Crown Vipers for my retirement in 2008 from my golf buddy,now have King Cobra's and still play the same.

You can take Wilkshire GC in Bolivar (Tusc. County) off the endangered species list for the time being. There were plans in place for the owners to sell it to a non-profit that was going to turn it into a nature preserve. A local couple has purchased the course and intends to operate it for the foreseeable future.

So I am looking for a set of irons...used to be able to break 100, so I'm not too bad.

Want to start playing more.

I'm seeing some sets out there for about $500 or so...any recommendations?