Gold Cup Discussion

Chop Stix

The 3-week tournament featuring the best international teams from North America, Central America and the Caribbean (along with Qatar) just finished group play, and the US remains undefeated having beaten Haiti, Martinique, and Canada en route to winning Group B.

Team USA will now face Jamaica (Group C runner-up) in their quarterfinal match-up which will take place on Sunday, 7/25 at AT&T Stadium in Texas.

If they beat Jamaica, the USA would then face the winner of Qatar vs El Salvador in their semi-final match-up which would take place Thursday, 7/29 in Houston.

If the USA makes the final, they would likely face Mexico, who the USA last beat by a 3-2 score in a thrilling match in the CONCACAF Nations League final on June 6th in Denver.

I haven’t followed much, why the inclusion of Qatar?

Qatar wanted more competitive matches to prepare its team for the 2022 World Cup and in turn CONCACAF got Qatar Airways to be a major tournament sponsor.

It's not uncommon for select countries to participate in international tournaments taking place outside of their home continent's football federation.

The bottom 4 teams combined for 1 point with a -30 GD. I think expanding to 16 was a bad move. With the Nations League, this format makes even less sense. Maybe they should consider making it a straight knockout tourney and drop the group stage

Kind of a JV tournament if you are asking me. USA is looking for roster depth but outside of a couple guys not many of these players will be on the team that plays in qualifiers for the WC in the coming months.

I think the US is the only squad full of a depth guys. WCQ plays a role in that. So does playing it every 2 years.

It's been interesting to watch and I like seeing some of the younger US players who aren't normally on a national stage, but it's still pretty meaningless from a international perspective.

I'm mostly watching to see Busio, Dike, and Hoppe.

Assuming, the US gets past Qatar, I'd be intrigued to see how our rematch with (what'll likely be) Mexico plays out with an entirely different squad than the Nations League finals.

I'm mostly watching to see Busio, Dike, and Hoppe.

Assuming, the US gets past Qatar, I'd be intrigued to see how our rematch with (what'll likely be) Mexico plays out with an entirely different squad than the Nations League finals.
Is Mexico playing a B team too or do they have more the guys from their Nations League squad? Also, has the Mexican fan base been on good behavior for this tourney? It's interesting to watch the liberal sports media give them a pass for the homophobic chants and the projectiles thrown from the stands at any and all folks on the pitch. If this was done by US fans there would be a huge uproar and there would be more of a penalty than a small fine and a wave of a finger.

Is Mexico playing a B team too or do they have more the guys from their Nations League squad? Also, has the Mexican fan base been on good behavior for this tourney? It's interesting to watch the liberal sports media give them a pass for the homophobic chants and the projectiles thrown from the stands at any and all folks on the pitch. If this was done by US fans there would be a huge uproar and there would be more of a penalty than a small fine and a wave of a finger.

Mexico is playing more of an A team. 7 starters from the Nations League final started in their most recent Gold Cup match against Honduras.

Some of their best players are hurt while others are playing on the Olympic team in Tokyo, but I'd assume they'd be more of a favorite against the USA this time around should the two face off in the Gold Cup final.

Mexico had one of their prelim games stopped temporarily due to the chants, but I haven't heard additional issues since then. I don't think anyone's been giving them a pass, media-wise. FIFA and CONCACAF have basically slapped them on the wrists a few times, but unfortunately haven't stepped up and done more.

Gotta feel for Canada. Took Mexico to the brink while missing their 3 best players only to lose in the 99th minute.

Hope they can qualify for the '22 WC. They have some very exciting talent that deserves to play on the biggest international stage.

Mexico didn’t look all that impressive against Canada, so tonight might be closer than expected from our C team. Would be hilarious if they pull out the W

US should’ve had a goal in the first half. Mexico turned it over right in front of goal and the shot went off the post. Hurried the shot

Really entertaining second half. Shocked they’ve managed to keep it scoreless. Even more shocked at all the chances they created. Really strong in transition.

Acosta, Williamson, and Hoppe have definitely been the best three of the night for the US. Pulisic and Hoppe are going to be a really good tandem

What a summer it's been for the USMNT - 8 consecutive victories and 2 trophies.

We've proved we can defend out home turf without issue under Berhalter. Now we'll have to prove we can win in hostile away environments when WCQ begins one month from now.