Global Warming

It really is the height of human ignorance to believe that we do not have to react to a changing shoreline, but can somehow control, or even affect at all, the sea level.
Just curious how many local laws have been enacted to prevent people from building or upgrading their homes on a shoreline? With the certainty (in some people's minds) of rising oceans, no one should be able to build on any beachfront property anywhere.

Just curious how many local laws have been enacted to prevent people from building or upgrading their homes on a shoreline? With the certainty (in some people's minds) of rising oceans, no one should be able to build on any beachfront property anywhere.
Sites like these help builders and buyers navigate the coastal regulations.

https://deq.nc.gov/

Many billions of dollars went into coastal purchases in '20 and '21. I was not one of the crazy people that was the answer to the prayers of those worried that the ol' family beach house would be washed away, hoping someone would come along to cash them out. Lots of dumb urban northeasterners apparently do not realize that one should NEVER buy on the east end of a west Atlantic barrier island, as a simple example. Coastal locations vary widely, and some shorelines are actually accreting, not eroding. Knowledge is everything, caveat emptor.

Topsail and other NC islands south to Cape Fear now have many "once primo" oceanfront lots on "the beach road" that time and tide have now rendered unbuildable, or at least uninsurable. Pools and associated structures in some coastal zones are often uninsurable, but at the same time, home hazard insurance is giving REIMBURSEMENT grants for new roofs if you build it their way with super-resilient materials. I just was granted $6k for a $9.5k re-roof.

Last edited:
1679417993328.png

One of the most evil things the Global Warming alarmists are directly responsible for is keeping poor 3rd world people in perpetual poverty. Without access to CHEAP, ABUNDANT & RELIABLE energy sources these people will continue to suffer a life of hopelessness. And the only energy source with a chance to deliver prosperity to these people is coal.

So what do Zimbabwe, Nigeria, and South Africa all have in common? A couple of years ago, Zimbabwe agreed to a UN plan to mandate more renewable energy and move away from coal and natural gas. At roughly the same time, Nigeria signed on to the UN Clean Energy Demand Initiative and John Kerry showed up in person when Nigeria’s president signed the mandate. And as we’ve discussed here before, South Africa started its “transition” to renewable energy years ago, dumping $8.5 billion into the plan in a move the New York Times described as a “Breakthrough for the World.” A few years later, people are sitting in the dark with no heat over wide regions of each country. But I’m sure that’s just a coincidence, right?

Biden Climate Envoy John Kerry Says U.S. Needs to Work with China, Russia on Climate Change​

1679928045120.png

Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry said on Friday the United States needs to work with China and Russia on climate change.

“We have to work with China, we have to work with India,” Kerry said during an interview with Yahoo News on Friday about working with the communist country to combat climate change.

Kerry holds a cabinet-level position in the Biden administration — that did require a Senate confirmation — and has authority over energy and climate policy within the executive branch. The climate envoy sits on the National Security Council and President Joe Biden’s cabinet and has an office housed in the State Department with an estimated annual budget of $13.9 million and 45 personnel.

“We even have to find a way, ultimately, if we can resolve the war in Ukraine, to work with Russia, because Russia is a huge emitter,” Kerry added. “And any one of these countries has an ability — if it doesn’t move to change its energy base — to make it much harder for the rest of the world, if not impossible, to reach the goals we’ve set.”

Biden Climate Envoy John Kerry Says U.S. Needs to Work with China, Russia on Climate Change​

View attachment 40200

Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry said on Friday the United States needs to work with China and Russia on climate change.

“We have to work with China, we have to work with India,” Kerry said during an interview with Yahoo News on Friday about working with the communist country to combat climate change.

Kerry holds a cabinet-level position in the Biden administration — that did require a Senate confirmation — and has authority over energy and climate policy within the executive branch. The climate envoy sits on the National Security Council and President Joe Biden’s cabinet and has an office housed in the State Department with an estimated annual budget of $13.9 million and 45 personnel.

“We even have to find a way, ultimately, if we can resolve the war in Ukraine, to work with Russia, because Russia is a huge emitter,” Kerry added. “And any one of these countries has an ability — if it doesn’t move to change its energy base — to make it much harder for the rest of the world, if not impossible, to reach the goals we’ve set.”
Kerry is a loon and the entire Climate Change end of the world story line is bad science fiction.

Kerry is a loon and the entire Climate Change end of the world story line is bad science fiction.
If he was sincere, he would donate his entire net worth, all of that Heinz ketchup money, to the cause.

Instead he is a fake, a phony POS that will bow down to his Commie masters.

Sure they can, don't be fooled.

As we move to "smart" appliances, specifically thermostats, they absolutely can remotely "shut off" the natural gas and the electric both.

They just did it in Colorado this past year, giving people "incentives" to buy smart thermostats. Well, when a heat wave came through they wouldn't let the thermostat go below 80F (going off memory, so I could be off) essentially "shutting off" the electricity to their A/C units.

All they have to do is do the same in the winter, don't let the thermostat be above say 60F and that essentially cuts off the natural gas to the furnace (the furnace just won't kick on).

There is more than one way to skin that cat.

Which is why when I just had to replace my thermostat last week for the first time since we bought our house in 2008, I bought the cheapest/dumbest thermostat they had for $30.

NOAA 2022 SEA LEVEL RISE TECHNICAL REPORT​

Four key takeaways from the report:​

1. The Next 30 Years of Sea Level Rise

Sea level along the U.S. coastline is projected to rise, on average, 10 - 12 inches (0.25 - 0.30 meters) in the next 30 years (2020 - 2050), which will be as much as the rise measured over the last 100 years (1920 - 2020). Sea level rise will vary regionally along U.S. coasts because of changes in both land and ocean height.

2. More Damaging Flooding Projected

Sea level rise will create a profound shift in coastal flooding over the next 30 years by causing tide and storm surge heights to increase and reach further inland. By 2050, “moderate” (typically damaging) flooding is expected to occur, on average, more than 10 times as often as it does today, and can be intensified by local factors.

3. Emissions Matter

Current and future emissions matter. About 2 feet (0.6 meters) of sea level rise along the U.S. coastline is increasingly likely between 2020 and 2100 because of emissions to date. Failing to curb future emissions could cause an additional 1.5 - 5 feet (0.5 - 1.5 meters) of rise for a total of 3.5 - 7 feet (1.1 - 2.1 meters) by the end of this century.

4. Continual Tracking

Continuously tracking how and why sea level is changing is an important part of informing plans for adaptation. Our ability to monitor and understand the individual factors that contribute to sea level rise allows us to track sea level changes in a way that has never before been possible (e.g., using satellites to track global ocean levels and ice sheet thickness). Ongoing and expanded monitoring will be critical as sea levels continue to rise.

Well...let's see. If you own this "property", in the future, your 1 acre may become 1/2 an acre. So, there's that.

In my mind, the only issue is how the government responds to tragedy. On Sanibel Island, Ft. Myers Beach, etc...when Hurricane Ian struck, I want my government to provide emergency assistance...EMS, etc. (even to those who ignore orders to evacuate). I want basic infrastructure repair (roads, bridges, electrical)...but some thought should be given to how much infrastructure encourages/supports private owners building homes in dangerous locales. Should a barrier island even have a bridge for motor vehicle traffic if the longterm future of the barrier island is sketchy? I don't want any money to go into supporting private homeowners to assist in their rebuild or government sponsored insurance. If they want to build/own in a place where they may be wiped out next October (and their building doesn't add significantly to the problem), then, I guess, it's on them.

For what it's worth...an article on it being increasingly difficult to get homeowners insurance in coastal areas. I'm trying to think of the last time I met a lefty kook global warming nut actuary...

Last edited:
Well...let's see. If you own this "property", in the future, your 1 acre may become 1/2 an acre. So, there's that.

In my mind, the only issue is how the government responds to tragedy. On Sanibel Island, Ft. Myers Beach, etc...when Hurricane Ian struck, I want my government to provide emergency assistance...EMS, etc. (even to those who ignore orders to evacuate). I want basic infrastructure repair (roads, bridges, electrical)...but some thought should be given to how much infrastructure encourages/supports private owners building homes in dangerous locales. Should a barrier island even have a bridge for motor vehicle traffic if the longterm future of the barrier island is sketchy? I don't want any money to go into supporting private homeowners to assist in their rebuild or government sponsored insurance. If they want to build/own in a place where they may be wiped out next October (and their building doesn't add significantly to the problem), then, I guess, it's on them.

For what it's worth...an article on it being increasingly difficult to get homeowners insurance in coastal areas. I'm trying to think of the last time I met a lefty kook global warming nut actuary...

I agree. The government should never bailout those who have residential homes/businesses on the coast. Yet it keeps happening every time.

As a frequent renter of ocean front beach houses in South Carolina this has more to do with the increased costs of building these "palaces" on the water then it does Global Warming. Over just the last 20 years the housing prices have trippled and every foot of ocean frontage is being built up. Given that hurricanes and tropical storms do happen and people are building McMansions on the ocean it's no surprise that insurance company's are getting gun shy.

And please don't waste your time posting that storm damage costs have risen exponentially over the last century. That is entirely due to inflation and extensive development along the coast. The last house we stayed in was built in 1987. It was the first house built at the end of a little peninsula. Pictures showed that there was nothing around it accept scrub and sand dunes. Today it's a gated community with over 300 houses! If a hurricane had hit in 1980 - no damage costs. Today, you're looking at half a billion dollars in damages.

The data is pretty clear that the numbers and intensity of hurricanes has not been going up over the last 50 years.

Sea level along the U.S. coastline is projected to rise, on average, 10 - 12 inches (0.25 - 0.30 meters) in the next 30 years (2020 - 2050), which will be as much as the rise measured over the last 100 years (1920 - 2020). Sea level rise will vary regionally along U.S. coasts because of changes in both land and ocean height.

Sea level rise will create a profound shift in coastal flooding over the next 30 years by causing tide and storm surge heights to increase and reach further inland. By 2050, “moderate” (typically damaging) flooding is expected to occur, on average, more than 10 times as often as it does today, and can be intensified by local factors.

3. Emissions Matter

Current and future emissions matter. About 2 feet (0.6 meters) of sea level rise along the U.S. coastline is increasingly likely between 2020 and 2100 because of emissions to date. Failing to curb future emissions could cause an additional 1.5 - 5 feet (0.5 - 1.5 meters) of rise for a total of 3.5 - 7 feet (1.1 - 2.1 meters) by the end of this century.

4. Continual Tracking

Continuously tracking how and why sea level is changing is an important part of informing plans for adaptation. Our ability to monitor and understand the individual factors that contribute to sea level rise allows us to track sea level changes in a way that has never before been possible (e.g., using satellites to track global ocean levels and ice sheet thickness). Ongoing and expanded monitoring will be critical as sea levels continue to rise.
A lot of "projected" and "the NEXT 30 years" and "increasingly likely" language here. They've been doing this for the last 50 years.

The FACT remains that sea levels have been rising for the last 10,000 years as we've come out of an ice age. Changing sea levels and the effect on coasts is a natural phenomena.

1680029138785.png

One pernicious development of these parlous times has been the rise of various cults that ape the trappings of Christianity while being fundamentally and unalterably opposed to its moral tenets. Case in point, the Marxist Suicide Cult masquerading as heroic do-gooderism that goes by the name of "climate change," by which these solipsistic lunatics mean "man-made climate change."

The argument that the climate is changing is prima facie false, because there is no argument. The climate is always changing. An hour in any major art gallery immediately illustrates that. Start with the Dutch paintings from the Little Ice Age, such as Brueghel's Hunters in the Snow from 1565 if you doubt me. Note also that the old city of Alexandria, in Egypt, which was founded by the Macedonian Greek Alexander the Great c. 331 B.C., and once ruled over by Cleopatra, is now under water. Man had nothing to do with either.

More great stuff from Micheal Walsh's column:

Mr. Dolarhyde famously put it.
In the roughly five thousand years of recorded human history, there has been one period in which we have had a real taste of our climate’s potential for moodiness, beginning around the start of the fourteenth century and lasting for hundreds of years. During this epoch, often known as the Little Ice Age, temperatures dropped by as much as two degrees Celsius, or 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit.... This was also the period between the end of the Middle Ages and the birth of the modern world.

The effects of the Little Ice Age were global in scale. In China, then as now the most populous country in the world, the Ming dynasty fell in 1644, undermined by, among other things, erratic harvests. In Europe, rivers and lakes and harbors froze, leading to phenomena such as the “frost fairs” on the River Thames—fairgrounds that spread across the river’s London tideway, which went from being a freakish rarity to a semi-regular event. (Virginia Woolf set a scene in “Orlando” at one.) Birds iced up and fell from the sky; men and women died of hypothermia; the King of France’s beard froze solid while he slept... in 1588, the Spanish Armada was destroyed by an unprecedented Arctic hurricane, and a factor in the Great Fire of London, in 1666, was the ultra-dry summer that succeeded the previous, bitter winter.

And then a warming trend began, continuing into our day: high culture flourished, science advanced along with the arts, and a longer growing season helped fuel a rise in population. This, of course, is not good enough for the ninnies, hysterics and bed-wetters who are convinced We're All Going to Die if we don't immediately reverse these civilizational advances (which, remarkably, seemed to have passed the entire southern hemisphere by), tear down our offending infrastructure, cease having babies (but import other people's babies), reduce our mobility, and ban everything that "pollutes" our precious air and water, even at the cost of a grotesque and unnecessary reduction in living standards: 1565, here we come again!

Is this meant to be stupid? This isn't serious, right?
First off, gas is short for gasoline, not natural gas, if that’s what’s confusing you.
Second, Ford has applied for a patent that allows them to repo the car if payments are missed. It’s impossible to do it to a gas-powered car, only electronically-controlled ones.
Third, if Ford has the technology, then the beloved government has it as well. They would never take away our freedoms, right...unless an emergency was declared, and then all rights disappear.
Here’s the CNN link in case you thought this was more right wing conspiracy.

First off, gas is short for gasoline, not natural gas, if that’s what’s confusing you.
Second, Ford has applied for a patent that allows them to repo the car if payments are missed. It’s impossible to do it to a gas-powered car, only electronically-controlled ones.
Third, if Ford has the technology, then the beloved government has it as well. They would never take away our freedoms, right...unless an emergency was declared, and then all rights disappear.
Here’s the CNN link in case you thought this was more right wing conspiracy.
Maybe a car from before 1980 would not be able to be stopped, but cars rely on electronics like anything else. No different in an electric car or a gasoline car. Any modern car has ONSTAR or something like it that can shut the car down. All modern cars rely on computers. I'm sure your car is not running on a carburetor and distributor.

A car would have to be completely non reliant on any electronics for it to be any less prone to being shut down than an electric vehicle.

Now, the paranoia about the government is just insane. The government has capabilities you have no idea about. It's what we have allowed with the most military spending in the world by any country by many many many times. You want it both ways. Don't be so scared.

3. Emissions Matter

4. Continual Tracking

See any similarities here?

3. Emissions Matter

4. Continual Tracking

Don't

Didn't I see news reports about Miami college basketball teams, and spring break disturbances in Miami?

How is that possible?

Didn't Al Gore tell us years ago that Miami was under water?