Girls Wrestling in Ohio - OHSWCA --> OHSAA

Unless you have been a worker or official working the event, you have no idea what a bad idea that really is. It is harder than you might imagine and adding just a "few" hours and a "couple more rounds" is easy when fans can just come and go as they please. Not so for workers.
I have an idea that I have proposed to some higher ups but I doubt that it has any chance of being accepted.
BTW, there is not any room for two or three more mats.
Thanks I was just having wishful thinking . what’s your idea?

No sh#t shurlock on the three mats. That's basically what i said. And added a picture to prove it. You answered the wrong person with that comment.

You are correct that more shifts of workers would be needed. I don't really think it's possible and should just be held at Upper Arlington. Biggest gym in central ohio now. Covelli would be perfect tbh.

It was great at Davidson. Keep it there.
I feel it bad out grown Davidson who has done fantastic hosting it ! I think it needs a bigger venue

Plenty of other states have been able to adapt and make it work. Have to think outside of the box. The State Tournament is pretty spread out for 16 man brackets. Could start Day 1 earlier say noon and then shorten the breaks up slightly to accommodate it. There is room for a fourth mat during finals!!

No sh#t shurlock on the three mats. That's basically what i said. And added a picture to prove it. You answered the wrong person with that comment.

You are correct that more shifts of workers would be needed. I don't really think it's possible and should just be held at Upper Arlington. Biggest gym in central ohio now. Covelli would be perfect tbh.

It has outgrown Davidson, it was too crowded this year and was a cluster, not to mention very lax on security. Just like boys State last year, it felt just like another tournament. All my girls said that it was much better when they went to State in OAC at the Covelli Centre.

Besides, the girls deserve a State Tournament just like the boys, a Junior High State Tournament run by a for profit organization should not be better that what they get to experience in High School.

While it would be great to add girls wrestling to the Schott with the boys. And probably doable with some schedule changes and added staffing. I am not sure it is in the best interest of growing girls wrestling to combine schedules.

For the top schools that have already fully embraced girls wrestling with separate or expanded coaching staff (Delaware, Marysville, Olentangy Orange, Harrison, Lutheran West, and others) there will not be an issue. But for coaches and schools where the wrestling coach(es) are currently limited in time and resources trying to support girls wrestling, Having boys and girls districts the same weekends at different locations is not going to grow the sport.

Running the boys and girls state series concurrently will add to the stress on coaches and give another reason for a coach to not support a girl wrestling in the girls series. We have seen the top level refs at the girls series and running concurrently will also dilute that.

Additionally by the time there is enough growth where this issue goes away I think it is likely that there will need to be two divisions for girls and there is no way to do 5 divisions in the Schott.

Upper Arlington has the gym space but not sure about concessions. Only there in the fall for volleyball and they were running concession off table outside gym and did not see area for expanded concession. I know they host their tournament and a sectional so maybe something workable that was not available in the fall.

the Corelli Center at tOSU would be nice but sure they could get three mats across the floor and probably need to get to four mats to improve time frame.

It has outgrown Davidson, it was too crowded this year and was a cluster, not to mention very lax on security. Just like boys State last year, it felt just like another tournament. All my girls said that it was much better when they went to State in OAC at the Covelli Centre.

Besides, the girls deserve a State Tournament just like the boys, a Junior High State Tournament run by a for profit organization should not be better that what they get to experience in High School.
Being ran by coaches association vs OHSAA. Take the facilities we could get at the time and enjoy it, especially when the second year it was ran had the covid restrictions.

Moving forward with OHSAA, yes 100% agree a bigger better venue is needed, especially wanting to grow girls wrestling. I love the idea of the Covelli (OSU) Center. 4 mats 2x2 SHOULD be able to fit on the floor.

There is enough wiggle room to add at least 3 mats like they ran at girls state. Also if its a chance for OHSAA to bring in money you think they will pass it up?
There is no way to add 3 more mats to the Schott floor. Not enough floor space. Only way to potentially do it is to extend the hours of the event at front and back end and not take away the 10th mat. The part where it gets tricky is on Friday & Saturday morning when all divisions are going at the same time. Each division has 3 mats and there's no way to add 2 additional mats to the configuration.

Simmer down big guy. No need to take someone's head off. Mr. Behrens is well respected in the wrestling community and knows the logistics of many things on the state level.

Being ran by coaches association vs OHSAA. Take the facilities we could get at the time and enjoy it, especially when the second year it was ran had the covid restrictions.

Moving forward with OHSAA, yes 100% agree a bigger better venue is needed, especially wanting to grow girls wrestling. I love the idea of the Covelli (OSU) Center. 4 mats 2x2 SHOULD be able to fit on the floor.
The Covelli Center can fit 6 mats with all the bleacher seating in (similar to St. John's for the state duals) but that would reduce the seating capacity to about 2,000. A 4 mat configuration you would be to most likely have the east and west bleachers out which would add about 500 seats. Great to have the OSU wrestling room for the girls to warm up. A 3 mat configuration would allow the North and South bleachers to be out with the E/W ones in. That would provide around 3,250 seats.

Here's the biggest issues though. Will there be an OSU sports team using the facility at that time and what will the cost to rent the facility be. OSU keeps raising the prices on OHSAA which as we can see with having no shuttles, mismatched mats, etc at the boys tournament OHSAA will start to cut corners to save costs.

My guess is it will be at a high school again this year because of cost saving by OHSAA. Is it right? No. But is it reality? Yes

Anyone know if OHSAA plans on adjusting the MS weights for girls? Currently they just use the boys weights with the heaviest weight being 245 while the HS girls weight limit is 235

Current MS Weights for both Boys & Girls
80, 86, 92, 98, 104, 110, 116, 122, 128, 134, 142, 150, 160, 172, 205, 245

Current HS Weights for Girls
100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 155, 170, 190, 235

Last edited:

Youngstown Covelli Center for the girls could be an option with 5,900 seating capacity but I would think it's too big at this point with only needing 3-4 mats. When girls gets to 2 divisions that could be a viable option. Wonder what the cost to rent that facility is? OAC would know. It's also not centrally located which is ideal for those coming from all over the state.

Anyone know if OHSAA plans on adjusting the MS weights for girls? Currently they just use the boys weights with the heaviest weight being 245 while the HS girls weight limit is 235

Current MS Weights for both Boys & Girls
80, 86, 92, 98, 104, 110, 116, 122, 128, 134, 142, 150, 160, 172, 205, 245

Current HS Weights for Girls
100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 155, 170, 190, 235

Maybe keep the same as the MS boys but adjust the back 3 weight to 170, 190, 225

What does everyone think (possibly know) is the threshold to get Girls Wrestling to have multiple divisions. Like small D3 schools only having a couple girls go up against the Marysville and Delaware Hayes etc programs.

I would think the next step might be a Large and Small Class split like OAC does for JH Divisional State. Could just be a wild thinking process

What does everyone think (possibly know) is the threshold to get Girls Wrestling to have multiple divisions. Like small D3 schools only having a couple girls go up against the Marysville and Delaware Hayes etc programs.

I would think the next step might be a Large and Small Class split like OAC does for JH Divisional State. Could just be a wild thinking process
Lacrosse is on two divisions as an exception to the normal rules for two divisions. I think your best example would be to look at girls swimming to see what they are at in terms of defined teams.

I think it’ll be a bit before two divisions. However, it will be interesting to see how they navigate boys volleyball which comes in sitting two divisions but not giant numbers.

Lacrosse is on two divisions as an exception to the normal rules for two divisions. I think your best example would be to look at girls swimming to see what they are at in terms of defined teams.
Thank you

I think it’ll be a bit before two divisions. However, it will be interesting to see how they navigate boys volleyball which comes in sitting two divisions but not giant numbers.

I agree. I think it will definitely be interesting to see what happens in this first year being sanctioned by OHSAA

I've gotten some emails and calls about numbers. Here is data we gathered, as well as POSSIBLE pathways to adding a girls team. These are not all-inclusive ideas, just thoughts we've shared in presentations and working within our own district. Olentangy Orange was a girls varsity program listed under the entire varsity program (another schedule). In 22-23, we will be listed as a separate program (it'll look the same, basically, but with some different funding situations and a specific head coach).

Graphics and such are below. Based on track wrestling:

2017-18 (no tournament): 205 girls
2018-19 (no tournament): 245 girls
2019-20 (year one tourney): 474 girls
2020-21 (year two tourney & COVID): 539 girls
2021-22 (year three tourney): 825 girls - see below

NOTE:
21-22 (now) is probably higher due to the way data and names were entered this season on Track. Since assessors moved some girls over to "girls weights" and some did not, our data guy had to pull all numbers from both, then merge it and delete stuff. The gender "sort" tool only goes to 200, so that is a data obstacle.

As mentioned, when states have sanctioned, the numbers go up exponentially. We have outstanding growth, and that's without post-season sponsorship. 2022-23 will likely look very different form numbers and scope.

growth chart.png

grade level.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 10.08.18 AM.png

I've gotten some emails and calls about numbers. Here is data we gathered, as well as POSSIBLE pathways to adding a girls team. These are not all-inclusive ideas, just thoughts we've shared in presentations and working within our own district. Olentangy Orange was a girls varsity program listed under the entire varsity program (another schedule). In 22-23, we will be listed as a separate program (it'll look the same, basically, but with some different funding situations and a specific head coach).

Graphics and such are below. Based on track wrestling:

2017-18 (no tournament): 205 girls
2018-19 (no tournament): 245 girls
2019-20 (year one tourney): 474 girls
2020-21 (year two tourney & COVID): 539 girls
2021-22 (year three tourney): 825 girls - see below

NOTE:
21-22 (now) is probably higher due to the way data and names were entered this season on Track. Since assessors moved some girls over to "girls weights" and some did not, our data guy had to pull all numbers from both, then merge it and delete stuff. The gender "sort" tool only goes to 200, so that is a data obstacle.

As mentioned, when states have sanctioned, the numbers go up exponentially. We have outstanding growth, and that's without post-season sponsorship. 2022-23 will likely look very different form numbers and scope.

View attachment 27891

View attachment 27892

View attachment 27890

Thanks for the information !

At Washington CH our Union has just started the process of getting wrestling recognized officially. They had labor relations meeting and recommended it be recognized separately with a head coach paid position .

Last weekend (Sunday) at the OAC Girls state (9U-Jr. High) was up from 120 (2021) to 200 (2022). I don't have the number for OH-Way, they had a girls tournament on Saturday. Some girls did both and some chose one.

B
Last weekend (Sunday) at the OAC Girls state (9U-Jr. High) was up from 120 (2021) to 200 (2022). I don't have the number for OH-Way, they had a girls tournament on Saturday. Some girls did both and some chose one.
Brackets for Ohway showed alot of low entered JH weights for Girls

Only 42 entered in the 13-14 group with 6 weights getting paired up.

HS had 8 weights get paired up for 4 classes and 34 entered

rackets for Ohway showed alot of low entered JH weights for Girls

Only 42 entered in the 13-14 group with 6 weights getting paired up.

HS had 8 weights get paired up for 4 classes and 34 entered
I respect and appreciate that OHWay got girls going early, before OHSWCA jumped in, and well before OHSAA did. However, most HS wrestlers need a reboot after season and MANY are in spring sports. Some don't of course, but my wrestlers mostly just got back on the mat this week. We did have two compete...Garren and Ross-Calix...but most just restarted.

I respect and appreciate that OHWay got girls going early, before OHSWCA jumped in, and well before OHSAA did. However, most HS wrestlers need a reboot after season and MANY are in spring sports. Some don't of course, but my wrestlers mostly just got back on the mat this week. We did have two compete...Garren and Ross-Calix...but most just restarted.

Last year was nice not having the JH kids have to make a regional tournament. This year they had to qualify at a regional and I believe they were the same weekend as HS sectionals so those with older siblings probably couldnt go. The membership fee and $50 for a coach to be on the floor definitely cant help with turn out but all the luck to them

$50 for a one day coaching band was absurd. I paid it because I wanted my wrestler to have me in her corner but it is absolutely ridiculous. I was able to help multiple girls as coach in the long rum but felt it kept people from partipating. Makes zero sense to growing the sport