Gilmour HC Zagorski takes HC job at Otterbein U

Wife and i also. probably ate dinner or had a brew sitting near you at one time or another. Great Little uptown only going to get better with North High Brewing opening and the amphitheater coming hopefully this Spring.
What years were you at otterbein?

Wife and i also. probably ate dinner or had a brew sitting near you at one time or another. Great Little uptown only going to get better with North High Brewing opening and the amphitheater coming hopefully this Spring.
Koble (I am a fan of Greek food and drinks), The Asterisk supper club, Uptown Deli and Brew, Jimmy V's (don't underestimate their gyro), and my GF & I get a huge kick out of the older Italian American woman who runs the olive oil shop. She's very passionate about her product, LOL. Walk in there and tell her you buy your olive oil from Kroger. I dare ya!

It would be neat to see the smaller colleges such as Otterbein, Denison, Kenyon, Capital, ODU, OWU, have a "game of the week" on TV in Columbus just like HS football has, but, alas, sponsors (and getting them) are a challenge. The colleges should just buy the airtime. Heck even replay them on a Monday or Tuesday night so it doesn't interfere with the Buckeyes.

If more of the "average" fans realized there's actually a lot of small college football in the region, they might appreciate it more and people could see that "those guys can play". Thus, making it a bit easier to recruit.

Last edited:
What years were you at otterbein?
Started in Fall of 76 Graduated in Spring of 80 , Ran Track a few Years , Dad Coached 27 Years ( Track) and a few Years ( Football) at the Bein. Sister there 84-88 . Still live in Genoa Twsh. North of County Line.

Koble (I am a fan of Greek food and drinks), The Asterisk supper club, Uptown Deli and Brew, Jimmy V's (don't underestimate their gyro), and my GF & I get a huge kick out of the older Italian American woman who runs the olive oil shop. She's very passionate about her product, LOL. Walk in there and tell her you buy your olive oil from Kroger. I dare ya!

It would be neat to see the smaller colleges such as Otterbein, Denison, Kenyon, Capital, ODU, OWU, have a "game of the week" on TV in Columbus just like HS football has, but, alas, sponsors (and getting them) are a challenge. The colleges should just buy the airtime. Heck even replay them on a Monday or Tuesday night so it doesn't interfere with the Buckeyes.

If more of the "average" fans realized there's actually a lot of small college football in the region, they might appreciate it more and people could see that "those guys can play". Thus, making it a bit easier to recruit.
Agree, Ashland University games are replayed on i think Bally Sports and every so often you will see a Mount Union Game.

I've always thought Otterbein was a sleeping giant with the right Coaching Staff and backing from the Adm. You got 3 D1 HS right in Westerville and 4 in the Olentangy School District , New Albany, Centerburg, Delaware , Marysville , Gahanna and Watterson and DeSales in Westerville's Backyard.
The Year i enrolled the Track Program was just starting to take off . By the Time i Graduated we had broken almost every Otterbein Track record Running and Field Events. I few out of town kids , but the majority were from Gahanna and the OCC Schools and DeSales and Ready with a few City League kids. They had a good run for several years. Reynold's had the Basketball Program humming for years and Dick Fishbaugh ran the Baseball Program for over 30+ Years and they were always Good and competitive.
We were even pretty good in Football back then with some studs from Newark, Westerville and West anchoring the team.
The potential is there it just needs tapped .
Young guy i think Andy Winters is finally turning the Basketball Program around and has a nice Freshman and Sophomore class on board. I went and seen them play Top 15 John Carrol and they hung tough until the 2nd half. John Carrol has 5 D1 Transfers on the Roster.
Disappointed in the Student support it was more than half empty in the Rike Center. There was 7 of us sitting on the players bench side.
Back in the day that place was packed.

Started in Fall of 76 Graduated in Spring of 80 , Ran Track a few Years , Dad Coached 27 Years ( Track) and a few Years ( Football) at the Bein. Sister there 84-88 . Still live in Genoa Twsh. North of County Line.
What years did your dad coach football? I don't think I would recognize his name as the track coach. I was there 88-early 93.

Agree, Ashland University games are replayed on i think Bally Sports and every so often you will see a Mount Union Game.

I've always thought Otterbein was a sleeping giant with the right Coaching Staff and backing from the Adm. You got 3 D1 HS right in Westerville and 4 in the Olentangy School District , New Albany, Centerburg, Delaware , Marysville , Gahanna and Watterson and DeSales in Westerville's Backyard.
The Year i enrolled the Track Program was just starting to take off . By the Time i Graduated we had broken almost every Otterbein Track record Running and Field Events. I few out of town kids , but the majority were from Gahanna and the OCC Schools and DeSales and Ready with a few City League kids. They had a good run for several years. Reynold's had the Basketball Program humming for years and Fishbaugh ran the Baseball Program for over 30+ Years and they were always Good and competitive.
We were even pretty good in Football back then with some studs from Newark, Westerville and West anchoring the team.
The potential is there it just needs tapped .
Young guy i think Andy Winters is finally turning the Basketball Program around and has a nice Freshman and Sophomore class on board. I went and seen them play Top 15 John Carrol and they hung tough until the 2nd half. John Carrol has 5 D1 Transfers on the Roster.
Disappointed in the Student support it was more than half empty in the Rike Center. There was 7 of us sitting on the players bench side.
Back in the day that place was packed.
Totally agree. You can throw a rock in the vicinity of Otterbein and hit a D-1 or D-2 sized HS in any direction. And the vast majority are winning programs.

I was a Freshman at Otterbein when the first class of nursing students hit campus. Prior to that for years running Playboy had them in their Top 10 of Small Colleges with the ugliest Women.
Muskingum and Heidelberg were on the Playboy list for worst nicknames back then.

Come on Fighting Muskies and
Student Princes are great lol.

The Playboy top 10 lists were huge for college kids in the 70’s and 80’s.

Here is the announcement email:

I am excited to announce our new head football coach, Tom Kaufman. I just met with the team to share the exciting news with them.

Coach Kaufman brings extensive college coaching experience to the role. Most recently, he was named John Carroll University’s defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. Prior to that, he served as Kent State University’s associate head coach, defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for four years, where he was named the top MAC recruiter in 2020 by 247 Sports.

Before working at Kent State, Coach Kaufman served as the defensive coordinator and safeties coach at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga, as the specials teams coordinator and linebackers coach at Syracuse University, as the special teams coordinator and linebackers/defensive ends coach at Bowling Green State University, as the special teams coordinator and linebacker coach at Eastern Illinois University, as the defensive coordinator and safeties coach at the University of Chicago, and as the special teams coordinator and linebacker coach at CWRU. He has also worked in assistant roles at the University of Texas, University of Kansas and Mississippi State University. Seven of his former players have gone on to careers in the NFL.

Coach Kaufman graduated from Lake Catholic in 1999 and then attended John Carroll University, where he earned his bachelor’s degree in English in 2003. He went on to earn his Master of Arts in education from Heidelberg University in 2005. In addition to his coaching role, Coach Kaufman will serve as Gilmour’s testing center coordinator. He will also work with the College Counseling Office as an athletics college liaison.

Coach Kaufman is a wonderful addition to the Lancer football program and to the community as a whole. Greg Debljak, head football coach at Case, described Tom as “an NFL coach,” saying he is “that good.” He has experience recruiting at the highest levels of college football, including the ACC and the MAC, which will be beneficial for any of our players hoping to play at the next level. He describes his coaching philosophy as three-pronged - to compete daily, to serve others and to exude consistency. His goals for the program align with our Holy Cross mission as he is focused on:
  • developing young people into the best versions of themselves
  • developing players who will have the competence to act appropriately in all situations
  • developing players with the courage to act quickly and aggressively on the football field
  • creating an exciting brand of football that the entire Gilmour community will be proud of
  • ensuring his players will work to create a humane and just society due to the skills they developed while in his program.

Coach Kaufman and his wife and two young sons are eager to join the Gilmour community. His extensive college experience coupled with his deep commitment to his family, his faith and to service will provide his football players a tremendous role model.

I am excited about this next chapter for our Lancer football program!

Sean O'Toole
Athletic Director”

Gilmour is definitely making the effort to up its football program the last couple years.
I do not know Coach Kaufman personally but that resume is impressive.

Welcome to the GA community and best of luck