getting revenge twice in the playoffs

algernonsidney

Cincinnati WInton Woods beat two teams in the playoffs after losing to both of them in the regular season. This was Cincinnati LaSalle and Kings Mills Kings. How many teams have gotten revenge twice in the playoffs over the years? Has anyone gotten revenge three times?

St. Edward got revenge twice in the 2018 playoffs. They beat St. Ignatius and Mentor on their way to the Division I state championship after losing to both in the regular season.

Cincinnati WInton Woods beat two teams in the playoffs after losing to both of them in the regular season. This was Cincinnati LaSalle and Kings Mills Kings. How many teams have gotten revenge twice in the playoffs over the years? Has anyone gotten revenge three times?
Anderson did a revenge tour back in 2008. Lost to Winton Woods and Desales. Then beat Winton Woods in the regional final and Desales in the semis

First one I thought of was 2016 St. Xavier. The Bombers beat Colerain & St. Ignatius in the playoffs, St. Ignatius was in the title game, after losing to both in the regular season.

That 2016 D1 final between St. Xavier & St. Ignatius was the last rematch of a regular season game in a title game. There have been 5 others. Can anybody name them?

Not the same, but:
In 2017, Winton Woods eliminated Massillon.
In 2018, Massillon eliminated Winton Woods and was eliminated by Hoban.
In 2019, Massillon eliminated Hoban and was eliminated by LaSalle.
In 2020, Massillon eliminated LaSalle (and went on to lose to Hoban).

Also, Hoban eliminated Winton Woods in 2017 and completed the chain by losing to Winton Woods this year.

Hartley vs Coldwater in 2013 is one.
That is correct. Good job.

Chronologically then:

1) Youngstown Cardinal Mooney over Warren Western Reserve - 1973 AAA title game, 14-3. (WWR won regular season game, 6-0) - CoachJB
2) Cleveland St. Ignatius over Cincinnati St. Xavier - 2001 D1 title game, 37-6. (St. Xavier won the regular season game, 42-41) - Wildcats1886
3) Columbus Watterson over Cleveland Benedictine - 2002 D3 title game, 28-7. (Benedictine won regular season game, 23-17) - The Dock
4) Youngstown Cardinal Mooney over Columbus DeSales - 2009 D3 title game, 35-7. (Mooney won regular season game, 21-14.) - TriangleMan
5) Coldwater over Columbus Hartley - 2013 D5 title game, 24-7. (Coldwater won reg season game, 41-16) - (The Dock)
6) Cincinnati St. Xavier over Cleveland St. Ignatius vs. - 2016 D1 title game, 27-20 (2OT) (Ignatius won reg. season game, 31-14)

Last edited:

Chronologically then:

1)
2)
3)
4)
5) Coldwater over Columbus Hartley - 2013 D5 title game, 24-7. (Coldwater won reg season game, 41-16) - (The Dock)
6) Cincinnati St. Xavier over Cleveland St. Ignatius vs. - 2016 D1 title game, 27-20 (2OT) (Ignatius won reg. season game, 31-14)
Benedictine and Watterson '02 is another one.

While this isn’t from one season, I’ve always thought it was noteworthy. In 1999-2001, Elder lost in the R4 championship game to Huber Heights Wayne, Colerain and St. Xavier, respectively. Then in the 2002 playoffs, Elder defeated St. Xavier, Huber Heights Wayne and Colerain in successive weeks.

Chronologically then:

1)
2)
3) Columbus Watterson over Cleveland Benedictine - 2002 D3 title game, 28-7. (Benedictine won regular season game, 23-17) - The Dock
4)
There's another one that is right under our nose...

Mooney, Columbus DeSales 2009

Reg Season - Mooney 21, DeSales 14
D3 Championship - Mooney 35, DeSales 7

Ignatius - Xavier 2001. Xavier won a squeaker in the regular season, Ignatius then blew them out in the final 37-6.

Mooney - Warren Western Reserve 1973 (Mooney won the title game 14-3; WWR won the regular season game 6-0)

Mooney - Warren Western Reserve 1973 (Mooney won the title game 14-3; WWR won the regular season game 6-0)
There it is. Good job.

The 1st rematch happened in year two of the playoffs and it didn't happen again for 28 years.

Chronologically then:

1) Youngstown Cardinal Mooney over Warren Western Reserve - 1973 AAA title game, 14-3. (WWR won regular season game, 6-0) - CoachJB
2) Cleveland St. Ignatius over Cincinnati St. Xavier - 2001 D1 title game, 37-6. (St. Xavier won the regular season game, 42-41) - Wildcats1886
4) Youngstown Cardinal Mooney over Columbus DeSales - 2009 D3 title game, 35-7. (Mooney won regular season game, 21-14.) - TriangleMan
I know it a little of subject.
But can you explain to me the difference between Warren Western Reserve and Warren Harding please.
I grew up a little south of the Youngstown/Warren Area in the late 70’s and 80’s and remember hearing and seeing them in annals of OHSSA.
But nobody seemed to know for sure.

It seemed though there was a Ton of intimidation and respect involved when there name was brought up.
There was no internet to research them back then, and still not a lot of information online of what happened to WWR.
Was it split up into multiple districts like Massillon?

I know it a little of subject.
But can you explain to me the difference between Warren Western Reserve and Warren Harding please.
I grew up a little south of the Youngstown/Warren Area in the late 70’s and 80’s and remember hearing and seeing them in annals of OHSSA.
But nobody seemed to know for sure.

It seemed though there was a Ton of intimidation and respect involved when there name was brought up.
There was no internet to research them back then, and still not a lot of information online of what happened to WWR.
Was it split up into multiple districts like Massillon?
It's the same thing that happened to schools like Youngstown Woodrow Wilson and Mansfield Malabar. The schools were closed due to declining enrollment and absorbed into other schools in the same district.

Warren Western Reserve, Cincinnati Academcy of Physical Education, and Bedford Saint Peter Chanel are three state football champs that no longer exist. I don't know if there are others.

It's the same thing that happened to schools like Youngstown Woodrow Wilson and Mansfield Malabar. The schools were closed due to declining enrollment and absorbed into other schools in the same district.

Warren Western Reserve, Cincinnati Academcy of Physical Education, and Bedford Saint Peter Chanel are three state football champs that no longer exist. I don't know if there are others.
Columbus Brookhaven (2004 D2), closed in 2014.