General NFL Chat

Picking any QB is always a gamble. Since 1970, the QBs picked with the first pick are:
1970- Bradshaw
1971- Plunkett
1975- Bartkowski
1983- Elway
1987- Testaverde
1989- Aikman
1990- George
1993- Bledsoe
1998- P. Manning
1999- Couch
2001- Vick
2002- Carr
2003- Palmer
2004- E. Manning
2005- A. Smith
2007- Russell
2009- Stafford
2010- Bradford
2011- Newton
2012- Luck
2015- Winston
2016- Goff
2018- Mayfield
2019- Murray
2020- Burrow
2021- Lawrence

Lots of mediocre QBs in there. Every one of those guys was thoroughly studied and thought to be a franchise QB.

Picking any QB is always a gamble. Since 1970, the QBs picked with the first pick are:
1970- Bradshaw
1971- Plunkett
1975- Bartkowski
1983- Elway
1987- Testaverde
1989- Aikman
1990- George
1993- Bledsoe
1998- P. Manning
1999- Couch
2001- Vick
2002- Carr
2003- Palmer
2004- E. Manning
2005- A. Smith
2007- Russell
2009- Stafford
2010- Bradford
2011- Newton
2012- Luck
2015- Winston
2016- Goff
2018- Mayfield
2019- Murray
2020- Burrow
2021- Lawrence

Lots of mediocre QBs in there. Every one of those guys was thoroughly studied and thought to be a franchise QB.

Interesting list of 26 qb’s taken with the 1st pick since 1970. By decade there were:
* 1970's = 3 qb's taken first
* 1980's = 3 qb's
* 1990's = 4 qb's
* 2000's = 7 qb's
* 2010's = 7 qb's
* 2020's = 2 qb's
I think this show's the greater importance of the qb position over the years.

I believe there are:
* 5 HOF’ers - Bradshaw, Elway, Aikman, P Manning & E Manning
* 2 on track for HOF - Burrow & Lawrence
* 5 won or made it to a Super Bowl - Plunkett, Bledsoe, Stafford, Newton, Goff,
* 4 ok/solid career qb's - Bartkowski, Testaverde, Palmer, Luck,
* 1 tbd, not looking good at this moment - Murray
* 5 disappointments - George, Couch, Vick, A. Smith, Bradford,
* 4 complete bust - D. Carr, Russell, Winston, Mayfield
These players went to horrible teams and it's difficult to change the culture of the franchise regardless how talented one is - players need help from the ownership, front office & head coach. I recall listening to a radio interview of former TB coach Bruce Ariens while he was the head coach at Arizona so before he coached Tom Brady. The interviewer asked him who besides Peyton Manning & Ben Roethlisberger (2 guys he coached while a OC) was there any other past qb's he coached that he liked. Before the guy finished his question, Ariens said Tim Couch. Ariens said Couch had the physical tools, was every bit the leader, the student of the game, had the intangibles.... he was just drafted by the Browns and never put in a spot to have a chance at success.

1970- Bradshaw
1971- Plunkett
1975- Bartkowski
1983- Elway
1987- Testaverde
1989- Aikman
1990- George
1993- Bledsoe
1998- P. Manning
1999- Couch
2001- Vick
2002- Carr
2003- Palmer
2004- E. Manning
2005- A. Smith
2007- Russell
2009- Stafford
2010- Bradford
2011- Newton
2012- Luck
2015- Winston
2016- Goff
2018- Mayfield
2019- Murray
2020- Burrow
2021- Lawrence

From 70 - 2000 only 10 QB's were selected no. 1 overall. Too many teams gamble and select a QB no.1 cause they think need a franchise QB to be successful. Very few franchise QB's but there is also a lot of franchises that just don't know how to build an NFL team. Neither Mahomes or Hurts were no.1 overall yet they were good enough to lead there teams to the SB.

it will be Stroud or Young... they didn't move up to take a DT.....and the kid from FSU, can't read defenses...

From 70 - 2000 only 10 QB's were selected no. 1 overall. Too many teams gamble and select a QB no.1 cause they think need a franchise QB to be successful. Very few franchise QB's but there is also a lot of franchises that just don't know how to build an NFL team. Neither Mahomes or Hurts were no.1 overall yet they were good enough to lead there teams to the SB.

That is all true but the game changed, the rules now dictate you have to throw the ball to win. It’s makes sense to take a chance at the qb position because if you hit, you can compete for a Super Bowl.

From 1970-2000, there were 6 RB’s taken with the 1st overall pick. Since 1995, there have been 0 (Ka-Jana Carter was last rb taken 1st overall). RB’s are now seldom taken in the 1st round and hardly ever get a second contract. MLB’s/ILB’s use to be the heart of the defense, now they are seldom 3 down players.

That is all true but the game changed, the rules now dictate you have to throw the ball to win. It’s makes sense to take a chance at the qb position because if you hit, you can compete for a Super Bowl.

From 1970-2000, there were 6 RB’s taken with the 1st overall pick. Since 1995, there have been 0 (Ka-Jana Carter was last rb taken 1st overall). RB’s are now seldom taken in the 1st round and hardly ever get a second contract. MLB’s/ILB’s use to be the heart of the defense, now they are seldom 3 down players.
I understand what you are saying but for every Burrow there are 3 or more Mayfield's. Hurts a 2nd rd. pick took the Eagles to the SB, Mr. Irrelevant was QB for the NFC runner up 49ers. Too many franchises just hope they can find a Burrow instead of actually building a football team.

I understand what you are saying but for every Burrow there are 3 or more Mayfield's. Hurts a 2nd rd. pick took the Eagles to the SB, Mr. Irrelevant was QB for the NFC runner up 49ers. Too many franchises just hope they can find a Burrow instead of actually building a football team.

I agree and understand what you are saying but building a team only applies to a few franchises that have stability: Baltimore, NE, Pittsburgh. Most teams are on a win now schedule. If you are the Jets do you really think trading for a semi disgruntled, kinda 1/2 there, highly compensated 39 year old qb is a good idea for the next 3 years? Probably not but for 2023, it gives them a chance.

Over 1/2 of 1st round picks are bust or disappointments. It’s a simple risk/reward equation. Yea, there has been qb’s drafted round 4 on who have had success - Tom Brady, Kirt Cousins, Russel Wilson (3rd rounder), Brock Purdy, Dak Prescott…..it’s like finding a needle in a haystack.

Another factor is the success of the early draft QB's is that they are dropped into absolutely dog$h!+ teams and get killed their first couple of years, some never to recover (e.g. Tim Couch). That's the benefit of sliding and/or getting picked later like a Jackson, Hurts or Rodgers.

Another factor is the success of the early draft QB's is that they are dropped into absolutely dog$h!+ teams and get killed their first couple of years, some never to recover (e.g. Tim Couch). That's the benefit of sliding and/or getting picked later like a Jackson, Hurts or Rodgers.
Couch got KILLED....i could pull some guys off yappi that could have given him better protection

Cater can't finish drills at pro day.

DT is already a position deemphasized in analytics, why not just add some fuel to the fire to a big move down the draft board.

I agree and I thought the same would happen to Burrow and it did, look how many times he has been sacked in his young career. However, it goes to show how good Burrow really is.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to soon receive a multi-year extension north of the $63 million per year he currently receives.

Other $$$$ payouts by NFL or their partners:
* Most recent national tv negotiations fetched the NFL over $11 billion annually
* Tv announcers (Troy Aikman, Tony Romo, Tom Brady) are getting $15+ mil per year
* NFL salary cap for 2023 is $224.8 mil and expected to go to $256 mil for 2024 season
* NFL-NFLPA agreement runs thru 2030.
* The last team sold (Broncos) sold for $4.5 billion and the Redskins are reportedly asking north of $5 billion.
* Top NFL head coach (NE Bill Belichick) earns a reported $20 mil per year
* Top player salary - Aaron Rodgers @ $50 mil for 2023 season

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to soon receive a multi-year extension north of the $63 million per year he currently receives.

Other $$$$ payouts by NFL or their partners:
* Most recent national tv negotiations fetched the NFL over $11 billion annually
* Tv announcers (Troy Aikman, Tony Romo, Tom Brady) are getting $15+ mil per year
* NFL salary cap for 2023 is $224.8 mil and expected to go to $256 mil for 2024 season
* NFL-NFLPA agreement runs thru 2030.
* The last team sold (Broncos) sold for $4.5 billion and the Redskins are reportedly asking north of $5 billion.
* Top NFL head coach (NE Bill Belichick) earns a reported $20 mil per year
* Top player salary - Aaron Rodgers @ $50 mil for 2023 season

Love him or hate him, I can't argue with Goodell getting a pay raise. He works for the owners and is doing the job of increasing the value of their respective franchises.

Love him or hate him, I can't argue with Goodell getting a pay raise. He works for the owners and is doing the job of increasing the value of their respective franchises.
To this point, there are reportedly 2 potential ownership groups bidding $6 billion to buy the Commanders. The Broncos sold for a record $4.65 billion last year. Yes, Goodell is doing the job the owners want of their commissioner.

1970- Bradshaw
1971- Plunkett
1975- Bartkowski
1983- Elway
1987- Testaverde
1989- Aikman
1990- George
1993- Bledsoe
1998- P. Manning
1999- Couch
2001- Vick
2002- Carr
2003- Palmer
2004- E. Manning
2005- A. Smith
2007- Russell
2009- Stafford
2010- Bradford
2011- Newton
2012- Luck
2015- Winston
2016- Goff
2018- Mayfield
2019- Murray
2020- Burrow
2021- Lawrence

First 9 were pretty good. Now I feel back in the 70's there was much, MUCH more patience in allowing guys to develop. Now you get about 60 seconds. But beginning with Tim Couch, started to become much different.

My guess is this move is to boost the price for the broadcasting rights when the Thursday Night contract comes up for renewal.

I believe the NFL & Rodger Goodell are trying to improve the Thursday Night Games for Amazon. In 2021 Amazon & NFL agreed on a 10 year, $10 billion tv rights deal for Thursday Night games. The problem with the flex game(s) is if a team has to play 2 Thursday Night games on a short week. The NFLPA will obviously push back on this and I’m sure there will be some negotiating but 32 billionaires usually get what they want.

Can't believe how high priced the NFL Sunday Ticket is going to be with the YouTube contract. Almost $500 a year. DirecTV was the way better deal