General NFL Chat

Probably a good move in terms of trying to drum up some interest in selling tickets in the Jacksonville market. I would agree, however, with Chris Simms take that Urban and the Jags are taking a risk in terms of the locker room. Based on personal connections, they're giving a chance at a new position to a washed up athlete that hasn't appeared in a regular season game in 9 years. If he struggles or looks like a dud early on, they pretty much have to cut bait as they'll lose all credibility letting him hold a spot over countless younger and more deserving players living at the margins of being on an NFL roster.
If the Jags had a great locker room in the past, it may be an issue, but they they have not. Maybe this is a way for Urban to change the culture in that locker room? Couldn't get any worse, right?

Urban's failure's as an NFL head coach have already started to show and he hasn't coached a game. His loyalty will not work at the NFL level where the players have more of a say. He split the locker room with the hiring of the Iowa strength coach after all the racial issues. That backfired.

He's now upset them again by bringing in a guy who realistically doesn't deserve a roster spot even in camp. Sure people may like him as a person but he's now taken away a roster spot from some kid who's dedicated their life to football for the past however many years while Tebow just shows up wherever someone will answer his phone call.

Maybe Urban has Tebow around to help the Rookie starting QB from crashing like he did,and an upbeat person for the locker room.I hope the Jags do well,I winter in Florida...BAM!

Packers put pressure on Rodgers by signing an amazing replacement. How could Aaron not be scared to death?

It does seem Aaron was scared to tuck the ball in, and run for a few yards or even a TD in that playoff game, instead he forced a bad pass.

Then he threw the coaches under the bus when they kicked the FG.

Lost some of my respect there.

Last edited:
It does seem Aaron was scared to tuck the ball in, and run for a few yards or even a TD in that playoff game, instead he forced a bad pass.

Then he threw the coaches under the bus when they kicked the FG.

Lost some of my respect there.
I think some day down the road when Rodgers is retired, unless he's in the Packers front office, we'll find out he wasn't a very good teammate. We're already seen quite a shift in his "legacy" just in a couple of years. Sadly, the media isn't the media anymore. They are partners and buddy buddy up with these athletes. I think people in and around Green Bay know who the real Aaron Rodgers is. It's like we always end up with, as soon as your skill level isn't good enough to put up with the pain in the butt you act like, you'll be out of a job. TO found this out. Chad Johnson found this out. Kaepernick found this out.

Dont disagree.
I think early on people were more in his corner, but with his continued whining I think we have seen a 180.
Dare I say it but.......just shut up and throw the football.
I think some day down the road when Rodgers is retired, unless he's in the Packers front office, we'll find out he wasn't a very good teammate. We're already seen quite a shift in his "legacy" just in a couple of years. Sadly, the media isn't the media anymore. They are partners and buddy buddy up with these athletes. I think people in and around Green Bay know who the real Aaron Rodgers is. It's like we always end up with, as soon as your skill level isn't good enough to put up with the pain in the butt you act like, you'll be out of a job. TO found this out. Chad Johnson found this out. Kaepernick found this out.I

I think some day down the road when Rodgers is retired, unless he's in the Packers front office, we'll find out he wasn't a very good teammate. We're already seen quite a shift in his "legacy" just in a couple of years. Sadly, the media isn't the media anymore. They are partners and buddy buddy up with these athletes. I think people in and around Green Bay know who the real Aaron Rodgers is. It's like we always end up with, as soon as your skill level isn't good enough to put up with the pain in the butt you act like, you'll be out of a job. TO found this out. Chad Johnson found this out. Kaepernick found this out.

The guy can't even get along with his own family. I think that's telling.

The guy can't even get along with his own family. I think that's telling.
Great point, I find it incredibly unfair that some athletes seem to get criticized for things while others don't. Now Jay Cutler isn't anywhere near the same QB as Aaron Rodgers, but you rarely hear about anything negative in Rodgers life. He's estranged from most of his family. Yet you hear nothing but blame for the Packers in this whole situation. Jay Cutler was ridiculed mercifully most of he NFL career, and sometimes rightfully so. But still, that guy on the State Farm commercials and Jeopardy isn't the real Aaron Rodgers. He's pouting like a spoiled brat over this whole situation. He's been an elite QB on one of the storied franchises in NFL history and he's trying to get out??

Or at least have a little gratitude for all you've been able to accomplish.
Dont disagree.
I think early on people were more in his corner, but with his continued whining I think we have seen a 180.
Dare I say it but.......just shut up and throw the football.

The Packers have done very little to help Rodgers over the years. Year after year the draft defense and ask him to turn average skill players into a SB caliber offense. He wants out because the franchise hasn’t backed him by providing him talent. He’s a Top 5 QB all time and has only made one SB. If he hadn’t won one he’d be Dan Marino 2.0

The Packers have done very little to help Rodgers over the years. Year after year the draft defense and ask him to turn average skill players into a SB caliber offense. He wants out because the franchise hasn’t backed him by providing him talent. He’s a Top 5 QB all time and has only made one SB. If he hadn’t won one he’d be Dan Marino 2.0
In a lot of these cases, it’s the massive QB contract that limits a team’s ability to stock a roster. As for the Packers, it’s clear their management philosophy looks at the WR position as a low investment-worthy, while placing more value on stocking/drafting the lines and DB’s. The fact they rarely draft WR’s high and always seem to have a crew of Pro Bowl linemen protecting Rodgers seems to reinforce it. And there are not many, maybe any, WR’s in the league better than Davante Adams. It was the drafting of the QB Love in the first round that really lit this fire.

In a lot of these cases, it’s the massive QB contract that limits a team’s ability to stock a roster. As for the Packers, it’s clear their management philosophy looks at the WR position as a low investment-worthy, while placing more value on stocking/drafting the lines and DB’s. The fact they rarely draft WR’s high and always seem to have a crew of Pro Bowl linemen protecting Rodgers seems to reinforce it. And there are not many, maybe any, WR’s in the league better than Davante Adams. It was the drafting of the QB Love in the first round that really lit this fire.
This.

Cap management is arguably one of the most important aspects to a NFL front office and striking quickly while a good young QB is on their rookie deal is key. After that you have to weigh the importance of a position and how much you decide to invest in each position, many analytics types say you invest in positions on the outside of the field, WRs, CBs, OTs, Edge, and work in from there. Some QBs take less than market to help a team win games but many are pressured by the agent community to leverage as many $s as possible in the 1st post rookie deal so they set the market for all. It will be interesting to see what the class of 2018 end up landing.

How can a 37 year old all pro QB be that upset about his team drafting a QB?

And yet, the Packers were the highest scoring offense in 2020. and, if Mr. Rodgers thinks back, that's exactly how he got his job - backing up Favre with the prospect of succeeding him. Rodgers probably looked at the drafting of his " successor" as a signal that his days were numbered. History does repeat itself.

How can a 37 year old all pro QB be that upset about his team drafting a QB?
Especially since he was in the exact same position when he was drafted in the first round by the Packers and Brett Favre still had several prime years in him. Karma.

And yet, the Packers were the highest scoring offense in 2020. and, if Mr. Rodgers thinks back, that's exactly how he got his job - backing up Favre with the prospect of succeeding him. Rodgers probably looked at the drafting of his " successor" as a signal that his days were numbered. History does repeat itself.
Exactly. I think Rodgers, as we all do eventually, is coming to terms that he is a lot closer to the end than the beginning.

Rodgers is an all-time great QB. I don't think anyone takes that sort of move lightly

Rodgers is the 6th highest paid QB in the league at $33m a year. It's not cap-breaking.

Rodgers' frustrations are sort of the same as Russell Wilson's; their teams wants them to perform miracles while depriving them of offensive weapons that can put them over the top. Mahomes has weapons all over the place. Brady has weapons all over the place. Roethlisberger as weapons all over the place. Even Baker Mayfield has a better arsenal around him. Rodgers' best WR the majority of his career was Jordy Nelson. Can you even name a quality RB from the Packers the past 10 years other than current back (Aaron Jones)? A TE? Now that he's aging, instead of getting him help, they're signaling they're just going to push him out. That's insulting to a first ballot HOF who hasn't really shown significant signs of decline

Rodgers is the 6th highest paid QB in the league at $33m a year. It's not cap-breaking.

Rodgers' frustrations are sort of the same as Russell Wilson's; their teams wants them to perform miracles while depriving them of offensive weapons that can put them over the top. Mahomes has weapons all over the place. Brady has weapons all over the place. Roethlisberger as weapons all over the place. Even Baker Mayfield has a better arsenal around him. Rodgers' best WR the majority of his career was Jordy Nelson. Can you even name a quality RB from the Packers the past 10 years other than current back (Aaron Jones)? A TE? Now that he's aging, instead of getting him help, they're signaling they're just going to push him out. That's insulting to a first ballot HOF who hasn't really shown significant signs of decline
I’ll address the other stuff in a separate post, but the Russell Wilson contract is textbook for what happens when a deep as heck Super Bowl team has to pay the QB. The team slowly gets dismantled and they drop off a level before they can get back up. Frankly, they aren’t back yet, but Russ wants to cook. They finally let Russ cook with some pretty talented WR’s and he couldn’t get it done…which to me is why he’s a notch below Rodgers in my book.

As for the Steelers, sure Ben has always had weapons, but it’s not like the Steelers have spent tons of first rounders on WR’s. They’ve developed guys taken a little later in the draft. AB was a huge weapon for Ben and he just fell into the Steelers lap. Same now with JuJu and Claypool. They aren’t spending their first round cash on WR’s.

I remember some people calling Josh Allen trash back in 2018/19. So I thought this was a pretty interesting stat line to put things in perspective. Note how all three of these QB's have been very productive and I would argue that a lot of people thought BOTH Allen & Jackson would be busts and that Mayfield wasn't as good as Darnold & Rosen.

1625850611294.png

I remember some people calling Josh Allen trash back in 2018/19. So I thought this was a pretty interesting stat line to put things in perspective. Note how all three of these QB's have been very productive and I would argue that a lot of people thought BOTH Allen & Jackson would be busts and that Mayfield wasn't as good as Darnold & Rosen.

View attachment 18650
I'd hold Josh Allen as an example of how patience can pay off for a franchise. Too many times in today's NFL, it's fast food. Win now or we look for another QB. Allen wasn't very good his first few years, but the Bills were patient, lived through the growing pains and they have their guy now. Now I'll also so the pressure hasn't been on Allen until now. If the Bills don't make some long playoff runs - the heat will rampen up on Allen. that's just the way it works.
Actually, a big year for all three of these guys in this picture.

I'd hold Josh Allen as an example of how patience can pay off for a franchise. Too many times in today's NFL, it's fast food. Win now or we look for another QB. Allen wasn't very good his first few years, but the Bills were patient, lived through the growing pains and they have their guy now. Now I'll also so the pressure hasn't been on Allen until now. If the Bills don't make some long playoff runs - the heat will rampen up on Allen. that's just the way it works.
Actually, a big year for all three of these guys in this picture.
To be fair the Bills believed in Allen's potential from year one. And to be clear Allen flashed signs of greatness his rookie year by making multiple jaw dropping plays. Sure he had his share of "what the frack" type plays but his arm & athleticism were elite right from the get go.

In his rookie year Allen played on a terrible offense. The worst O - line and worst set of WR's in the NFL. Yet as a starter Allen was 5- 6. In his second year the Bills upgraded the offensive skill levels and Allen responded by leading them to a 10 - 6 playoff season. Last year he broke through with an MVP caliber season:

From day one Allen's rushing ability has been elite and only Lamar Jackson has put up bigger numbers. The thing is though watch the improvement in Allen's passing stats from his rookie to his 3rd year:

2018: 10 TD/12 INT; 53% completion; rating = 67.9

2019: 20 TD/9 INT; 59% completion; rating = 85.3

2020: 37 TD/10 INT; 69% completion; rating = 107.2

He also added 25 rushing TD's and 2 receiving TD's during these 3 years.

To be fair the Bills believed in Allen's potential from year one. And to be clear Allen flashed signs of greatness his rookie year by making multiple jaw dropping plays. Sure he had his share of "what the frack" type plays but his arm & athleticism were elite right from the get go.

In his rookie year Allen played on a terrible offense. The worst O - line and worst set of WR's in the NFL. Yet as a starter Allen was 5- 6. In his second year the Bills upgraded the offensive skill levels and Allen responded by leading them to a 10 - 6 playoff season. Last year he broke through with an MVP caliber season:

From day one Allen's rushing ability has been elite and only Lamar Jackson has put up bigger numbers. The thing is though watch the improvement in Allen's passing stats from his rookie to his 3rd year:

2018: 10 TD/12 INT; 53% completion; rating = 67.9

2019: 20 TD/9 INT; 59% completion; rating = 85.3

2020: 37 TD/10 INT; 69% completion; rating = 107.2

He also added 25 rushing TD's and 2 receiving TD's during these 3 years.
Still, the Bills didn't rush him. 3 years in the NFL is an eternity for many franchises.

Still, the Bills didn't rush him. 3 years in the NFL is an eternity for many franchises.
They rushed him into playing as he took over the starting job week 2 of his rookie year. However, you're right in that the Bills didn't rush their expectations of Allen. They knew he needed to improve his mechanics and that they needed to surround him with more offensive talent. They took the time to make this happen over Allen's first two years.

As an aside Jordan Palmer deserves a lot of credit for working with Allen on his throwing mechanics and decision making since he declared for the draft. This continues today as Allen has been improving his footwork with Palmer this off season. You also have to give a lot of credit to Allen. He is compulsive in trying to get better. He attacks his deficiencies with a vengeance and fixes them. IMO Allen hasn't hit his ceiling yet.