General NFL Chat

I think Fields is a little but of a different animal than the other OSU QB's. He's also coming into a time in the NFL that the coaches are figuring out ways to use multi-dimensional QBs.

Assuming nobody goes to heck or blows up, there may be 5 QBs picked in the first round: Lawrence; Fields; Lance (North Dakota State); Zach Wilson (BYU); and Trask (Florida). It's possible 4 of those could go in the top 10.
There is not a position in football overvalued than QB. These teams, generally the bad ones, bring in QB's with flaws, their teams have flaws such as no O-line, no running game or little weapons and then we wonder why the struggle. Mahomes and Jackson fell into really good teams and bingo, they are flourishing. Jury is still out on Murray. The NFL has used multi-dimensional QB's, it's just some make it, some don't. Running QB's generally isn't a good thing. Russell Wilson may be the biggest exception to the rule.

There is not a position in football overvalued than QB. These teams, generally the bad ones, bring in QB's with flaws, their teams have flaws such as no O-line, no running game or little weapons and then we wonder why the struggle. Mahomes and Jackson fell into really good teams and bingo, they are flourishing. Jury is still out on Murray. The NFL has used multi-dimensional QB's, it's just some make it, some don't. Running QB's generally isn't a good thing. Russell Wilson may be the biggest exception to the rule.

But history shows us that many of the offensive advances work their way up and the running QB concept has grown leaps and bounds in recent years. Heck, we have 6'5" quarterbacks from Wyoming running RPO's in the NFL. I don't think we'll ever see a QB be the main focus of an NFL running attack but designed runs for QBs are increasing all the time.

Rotoworld's take on Tua Tagovailoa first start "Tua played so conservatively, almost putting viewers to sleep. Ryan Fitzpatrick was at least fun to watch. "
12/22 93yds 1 TD

His little brother was much more entertaining this weekend.

It was like Miami gave him the keys to the car but then told him he couldn't leave the driveway.

But history shows us that many of the offensive advances work their way up and the running QB concept has grown leaps and bounds in recent years. Heck, we have 6'5" quarterbacks from Wyoming running RPO's in the NFL. I don't think we'll ever see a QB be the main focus of an NFL running attack but designed runs for QBs are increasing all the time.
They are, but it's a very dangerous to have running QB's even today. 16 game NFL season, the playoffs, takes a lot of hits and is generally leads to a short career. Mahomes really isn't a running QB anymore, he can evade the pocket and make plays, but he rarely runs. For a franchise QB, the classic pocket passer is still the best way to go.

Rotoworld's take on Tua Tagovailoa first start "Tua played so conservatively, almost putting viewers to sleep. Ryan Fitzpatrick was at least fun to watch. "
12/22 93yds 1 TD
I really don't understand why the Dolphins are forcing Tua? The Dolphins are good and right in the thick of a playoff chase. Fitz gives them the best chance to win.

The Pats not looking too good at this point. Could the evil empire be done and maybe Brady was the key component as opposed to Belichick?

The Pats not looking too good at this point. Could the evil empire be done and maybe Brady was the key component as opposed to Belichick?
Dynasty is realistically dead. Don’t know who gets more credit but it’s tough to ignore how good a 43 year old version of Brady has looked in Tampa. Cam has been pretty bad this year in NE. If he doesn’t improve fast idk if any team would even want him next year.

I really don't understand why the Dolphins are forcing Tua? The Dolphins are good and right in the thick of a playoff chase. Fitz gives them the best chance to win.

i think they want to see what they have in him because they may actually want to draft ANOTHER qb in the first round next year if they don't see in him what they thought they had. just a thought.

didn't they have like 6-7 guys opt out this year because of Covid??? that could have an effect as well.

i think they want to see what they have in him because they may actually want to draft ANOTHER qb in the first round next year if they don't see in him what they thought they had. just a thought.
So to quote Herm Edwards..."you play to win the game". And I'll add today's game. Not next year or even next month. I just honestly don't understand this notion of "playing for the future"? Some teams seem to be in this perpetual "rebuilding".

didn't they have like 6-7 guys opt out this year because of Covid??? that could have an effect as well.
they also have no one to throw the ball too. have you seen their wr depth chart. none of them drafted. lol

jtk
()

There are a lot of factors at play in the fall of the Patriots. TB moving on. Players opting out for Covid. Edelman being hurt and ineffective. No one stepping forward to be a lead back. Cam being the inconsistent Cam we've seen the last 2 or 3 years. No one stepping up at WR. It's all just pretty ugly across the board. All good things come to an end.

They are, but it's a very dangerous to have running QB's even today. 16 game NFL season, the playoffs, takes a lot of hits and is generally leads to a short career. Mahomes really isn't a running QB anymore, he can evade the pocket and make plays, but he rarely runs. For a franchise QB, the classic pocket passer is still the best way to go.

Sure it's dangerous but it's the future of the game. Of the young top QBs right now, they all use their feet and all but Mahomes operate quite a bot outside of the traditional pocket. Wilson, Allen, Murray, Watson, Burrow...are not traditional pocket passers.

Quite of a mess of a fight in the Bears-Saints game. Punching a guy in the head that's wearing a helmet is always a genius move.

This article offers some thoughts, including some from Belichick himself:

In addition to having so many players opt out, you've got subpar QB play which has exposed a running game that has been below average for years, you've got a lengthy stretch of subpar drafting (drafting at the butt end of each round for umpteen straight years makes it more difficult to acquire talent), and quite simply, the players look like they've gotten old. They have too many key players on the wrong side of 30.

Last edited:
The goats on pace for 40 TDs at the age of 43. I know the leagues extremely passer friendly but that’s just absolutely insane. Definitely needs to play better than this week though.

Sure it's dangerous but it's the future of the game. Of the young top QBs right now, they all use their feet and all but Mahomes operate quite a bot outside of the traditional pocket. Wilson, Allen, Murray, Watson, Burrow...are not traditional pocket passers.
You've seen Mahomes already not run as much as he did a few years ago. And Wilson runs on only designated runs. It's what makes Trevor Lawrence so appealing. He's going to be a true pocket passer. Making the throws and being accurate is most important for QB's who want to be successful.

You've seen Mahomes already not run as much as he did a few years ago. And Wilson runs on only designated runs. It's what makes Trevor Lawrence so appealing. He's going to be a true pocket passer. Making the throws and being accurate is most important for QB's who want to be successful.

Lawrence averages over 6 rushes a game. You might recall he carried it 16 times against the Buckeyes and 10 times against LSU, primarily on planned runs.

I agree that many teams are not going to invest millions into a guy to run him into danger, but it's not 1978. Teams are implementing planned runs for QBs more and more.

Lawrence averages over 6 rushes a game. You might recall he carried it 16 times against the Buckeyes and 10 times against LSU, primarily on planned runs.

I agree that many teams are not going to invest millions into a guy to run him into danger, but it's not 1978. Teams are implementing planned runs for QBs more and more.
Yes, he CAN run now, against college kids, and the run he had last year against Ohio State changed the game. But moving forward, he's going to be more of a Big Ben type, stand in the pocket and make throws. We're already seeing the downside to Lamar Jackson. Teams can spy him and he's just not that accurate. He turned the ball over 4 times vs. the Steelers.

Yes, he CAN run now, against college kids, and the run he had last year against Ohio State changed the game. But moving forward, he's going to be more of a Big Ben type, stand in the pocket and make throws. We're already seeing the downside to Lamar Jackson. Teams can spy him and he's just not that accurate. He turned the ball over 4 times vs. the Steelers.

I'll see you back here in 5 years and we'll see who was right, not so much specifically about Lawrence but the direction of the game. Mark your calendar!

Weird weekend with the Browns bye.

Free NFL Redzone with Sling this weekend. With this stuff and fantasy football I can see why young people aren't watching full NFL games.

The Bears just went from 4th and 6 inches to 4th and 10 with two false starts. Jesus.

Haskins must really suck to be behind a QB that was a backup for the university of Houston and another QB with one leg. OSU QB’s always suck in the NFL

Most of them haven't been pro style QBs, so I never expected them to do much. I thought Haskin had a chance to be a middle of the road NFL QB but he'll have to get out of DC and develop a work ethic to get there. I never thought Cardale would be an NFL QB. I think Fields may have a chance to be a decent NFL QB.

Just when the TV talking heads were about to crown Tampa Bay, up pops the Saints and hands them their @$$e$. That was ugly.