General NFL Chat

Never understood how receiving stolen property is a crime. Unless it can be proven a person knew it was stolen, it doesn’t make any sense

That's what is required, knowing or having reasonable cause to believe the property was obtained through a theft. Just having it isn't enough.

Fine looking graduation photo, looks more like a member of the Heartless Felons then the NO Saints>
Marshon-Lattimore-mugshot-1.jpg

My LORD we need to get this draft over with, post haste.

ESPN is even more unwatchable with the draft talk. It is just speculation. UGH this sucks.

Never understood how receiving stolen property is a crime. Unless it can be proven a person knew it was stolen, it doesn’t make any sense
I think it has to be a crime because without it, there would be chaos. I mean what would stop someone from giving you a car? Hey, I found this car, I'm giving it to you.
Now a reasonable person would wonder why someone is giving them a car, so while stealing the car is a bigger crime, receiving the car has to be punishable too.

My LORD we need to get this draft over with, post haste.

ESPN is even more unwatchable with the draft talk. It is just speculation. UGH this sucks.
I've posted on this before, it amazes me how much sports shows focus on the NFL. Your favorite team has a game day on 4% of the days of any given year. Yet so much time is devoted to the NFL?

I've posted on this before, it amazes me how much sports shows focus on the NFL. Your favorite team has a game day on 4% of the days of any given year. Yet so much time is devoted to the NFL?

Because the modern day American sports fan finds it exciting. It is easy to bet on and plan around while many modern sports fans see the sport with the most games, baseball, as drudgery with 4 hour games with 3:45 of dead time and only a half dozen teams able to possibly win a championship. I love baseball and grew up with it, but I am more in the minority by the day.

The focus is on the NFL because that is what generates by far the most listeners. If people wanted to hear about tiddlywinks with the same interest, you would get that much time devoted to tiddlywinks.
When sports shows talk about other sports, people turn to another station

Last edited:
The focus is on the NFL because that is what generates by far the most listeners. If people wanted to hear about tiddlywinks with the same interest, you would get that much time devoted to tiddlywinks.
When sports shows talk about other sports, people turn to another station
Probably some truth there, but I also think alot of this has to do with sports betting, fantasy football. Football is an easier follow for alot of fans because you can casually follow football, it's once a week during the season. You can know a little or alot about your teams. For a sport like baseball, you have to bore in and really put some work in to follow your team.
Likewise for sports talk show hosts, you have to put in alot more work following baseball because the narratives can change overnight. It's going on 4 months now with the draft talk and QB's. And honestly, it's the same as it was in January as it is today. Just noise.

Because the modern day American sports fan finds it exciting. It is easy to bet on and plan around while many modern sports fans see the sport with the most games, baseball, as drudgery with 4 hour games with 3:45 of dead time and only a half dozen teams able to possibly win a championship. I love baseball and grew up with it, but I am more in the minority by the day.
Baseball has it's issues and has been unwilling to force the pace of play. But I enjoy the daily grind of baseball and while many of the novice fans see it as dead time, there is pitch selection, pitch set up going on continuously during an at bat.

Football is the perfect sport for TV, the burst of action along with the stopping and starting of play allows for easy consumption and most importantly viewing of commercials. Because of this $s are poured into the sport and along with the invention of the player draft they keep their fans well engaged in the off season.

Now baseball is set up to be the best proposition betting game in all sports and will be the savior for the game once next year's likely strike is finally resolved. Each at bat will become a bet with odds on the outcome that viewers can place wagers on, this is the type of betting that will take over sports gaming. Football will have some of this but the product does flow a little quicker and will be tougher to manage. By the way did anyone notice what the network that carries the Indians & Reds is now called :) This is no coincidence.
redsonbs.vresize.1200.630.high.27.jpg

Baseball has it's issues and has been unwilling to force the pace of play. But I enjoy the daily grind of baseball and while many of the novice fans see it as dead time, there is pitch selection, pitch set up going on continuously during an at bat.
The pace is slowed down by guys adjusting both batting gloves after each pitch, their helmet, elbow brace, etc.

I know they want to speed things up, but I can't stand the automatic guy on second in the tenth inning.

The pace is slowed down by guys adjusting both batting gloves after each pitch, their helmet, elbow brace, etc.

I know they want to speed things up, but I can't stand the automatic guy on second in the tenth inning.
That is a terrible rule, but the way games are managed now with pitching staffs, teams complained that a 12-15 inning game ruins their staff for days. I just wish we'd stop coddling pro athletes. If you are a pitcher, pitch. There are guys in the bullpen who don't pitch for a week, then if they pitch two days in a row you have to sit them a day?? And we have the same numbers of guys hurt now as we did in the 70's.

The rules are in place to keep batters in the box, the umpires simply do not enforce them. There is pitch clocks in the minor leagues, yet when these guys get to the majors they go right into slow down mode?

Go to YouTube and watch a MLB game from the '70s, it seems like a completely different game then what is played today. One idea I have for cutting down the time is to have the batters wear whatever they have in the box on the base path. I see these guys f-ing with all this stuff all the time and it is sometime unbearable. They get on to 1st base and then the bat boy almost needs a bag to take this stuff back to the dugout. On the pitching side maybe only allow one set of signals and that's it, one of the slowest things is seeing catcher and pitcher go through a series of signals and then the catcher getting up and visiting the mound to talk through this.

Finally not to make this a MLB discussion but the Indians and Twins had a half inning that went for over 20 minutes yesterday with not one ball being in play. The Indians scored 2 runs on 4 walks and 2 hit batsmen. I happened to tune in at the start and it was like watching a slow motion train wreck. How about finding some talent that can throw some strikes?

Restarting the NFL chat - you hear K. Shanahan's comments about Jimmy G? When asked if Jimmy G would play for San Fran in the future he made some comment like "I'm not sure - with the way things are going do we even know if we will be alive tomorrow" or something like that. Crazy.

Restarting the NFL chat - you hear K. Shanahan's comments about Jimmy G? When asked if Jimmy G would play for San Fran in the future he made some comment like "I'm not sure - with the way things are going do we even know if we will be alive tomorrow" or something like that. Crazy.
I tell people all the time that I'll see them tomorrow if I don't get hit by a bus first. Can't take anything for granted.

That woman in leopard print with Wilson.......she looked high maintenance. Was that his girlfriend or mom? Or both I guess...

Go to YouTube and watch a MLB game from the '70s, it seems like a completely different game then what is played today. One idea I have for cutting down the time is to have the batters wear whatever they have in the box on the base path. I see these guys f-ing with all this stuff all the time and it is sometime unbearable. They get on to 1st base and then the bat boy almost needs a bag to take this stuff back to the dugout. On the pitching side maybe only allow one set of signals and that's it, one of the slowest things is seeing catcher and pitcher go through a series of signals and then the catcher getting up and visiting the mound to talk through this.

Finally not to make this a MLB discussion but the Indians and Twins had a half inning that went for over 20 minutes yesterday with not one ball being in play. The Indians scored 2 runs on 4 walks and 2 hit batsmen. I happened to tune in at the start and it was like watching a slow motion train wreck. How about finding some talent that can throw some strikes?
Baseball has rules in place to keep the game moving, the umpires just choose not to enforce them. When you get a chance, watch Reds Wade Miley pitch. This should be shown to all pitchers. He never leaves the mound between pitches. It's all about tempo. And the biggest reason baseball games are longer from the 70's is the 2-3 minute commercial break between innings. Go to a high school/ college game sometime that's not on TV. You don't need more than 90 seconds between innings. Now you'll have to convince baseball that they need to cut away sponsors to keep games moving. I really think if MLB promoted 2 1/2 to 3 hour games instead of 4 hour games, some fans may come back.
There are alot of young, exciting players in baseball today, but folks are not going to invest 4+ hours watching a game.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Jimmy G!

Not a Jags fan, but great move by Urban Meyer to bring in Tim Tebow. He doesn't even have to play or make the team to have an impact. He's a winner, always has been and will lift that team. Maybe a tone setter.

Not a Jags fan, but great move by Urban Meyer to bring in Tim Tebow. He doesn't even have to play or make the team to have an impact. He's a winner, always has been and will lift that team. Maybe a tone setter.

The attacks begin, setting off maybe more controversy than he's worth:

The attacks begin, setting off maybe more controversy than he's worth:

Pretty darn funny people are still bringing up Kapernick. That said, Urban will do it his way, and if he ruffles feathers, so be it.

Probably a good move in terms of trying to drum up some interest in selling tickets in the Jacksonville market. I would agree, however, with Chris Simms take that Urban and the Jags are taking a risk in terms of the locker room. Based on personal connections, they're giving a chance at a new position to a washed up athlete that hasn't appeared in a regular season game in 9 years. If he struggles or looks like a dud early on, they pretty much have to cut bait as they'll lose all credibility letting him hold a spot over countless younger and more deserving players living at the margins of being on an NFL roster.