GCL Co-Ed Basketball 22/23

Are developing and winning not correlated? I would think if you’re coaching to develop your kids in your system, you should be winning more often than not. That or you may need to re think your “system”.

Are developing and winning not correlated? I would think if you’re coaching to develop your kids in your system, you should be winning more often than not. That or you may need to re think your “system”.
Every high school "system" is built to create wins on the varsity team. No JV or freshman team is built for wins. Those teams as a whole are a creation of players put in positions to maximize their development in order to eventually help the varsity team win. I will say this AGAIN, each team goes out to win each game they play, that's the point of playing any game, even tic tac toe. But if a coach isn't going to have the best 12 kids he could possibly have for each game, due to them being moved to other teams (helping development within the program), AND the coach won't be inclined to always have his best players on the court/field (managing playing time so players can swing between teams), how can you say the goal is to win. And if we all know the team being put out there each game is purposely not the best team possible, why would anyone outside of the kid's family be keeping track of wins and losses?

So yea, if you know the standings for the freshman teams in your local league, you're damn right I'm gonna call you a weirdo, because you're focused on the things that don't matter and are pointless to track anyway.

Last edited:
Every high school "system" is built to create wins on the varsity team. No JV or freshman team is built for wins. Those teams as a whole are a creation of players put in positions to maximize their development in order to eventually help the varsity team win. I will say this AGAIN, each team goes out to win each game they play, that's the point of playing any game, even tic tac toe. But if a coach isn't going to have the best 12 kids he could possibly have for each game, due to them being moved to other teams (helping development within the program), AND the coach won't be inclined to always have his best players on the court/field (managing playing time so players can swing between teams), how can you say the goal is to win. And if we all know the team being put out there each game is purposely not the best team possible, why would anyone outside of the kid's family be keeping track of wins and losses?

So yea, if you know the standings for the freshman teams in your local league, you're damn right I'm gonna call you a weirdo, because you're focused on the things that don't matter and are pointless to track anyway.
I think we’re just arguing semantics here at this point because you’re right that development is ultimately the goal of a JV and freshman team. Any coach that is playing juniors extra quarters at the JV level to salvage a couple more wins is ultimately hurting the program if those kids aren’t going to contribute to the varsity team the next year. All I was trying to argue was that in most cases, success at the lower levels eventually bleeds through the varsity level. They are correlated. But what I will say, it is ok and completely normal to track your freshman and JV win/losses. It’s not a perfect science because one team could have a couple freshmen playing varsity and their freshmen and JV teams might not do so well, while another team might dominate those levels but by the time the kids are all on varsity, the first team might still be better. I get that. However, It’s good to know what’s coming up the pipeline and how well they compete together. In the context i brought it up, CJ had won the league at every single level. I thought it was noteworthy to point out that this success has potential to be continual as it’s happening at every single level.

You’re very wrong. Striving to win encourages development. Never knew a coach who didn’t want to win. You sure you played?
LOL....you are supposed Fenwick supporter? Ain’t the way it works for your beloved Falcons. Not doubting they try to win, but not at the expense of certain parents and kids. Proven they would rather cater to some even if it sacrifices wins

LOL....you are supposed Fenwick supporter? Ain’t the way it works for your beloved Falcons. Not doubting they try to win, but not at the expense of certain parents and kids. Proven they would rather cater to some even if it sacrifices wins
Uh oh 👀

Striving to win accelerates development. It pushes players to work harder. Winning excites them for the future. It motivates them. Everything you’re talking about goes hand and hand with winning. In a good program you strive to win on every level.

Striving to win accelerates development. It pushes players to work harder. Winning excites them for the future. It motivates them. Everything you’re talking about goes hand and hand with winning. In a good program you strive to win on every level
SMH

Taft turned up the pressure on defense. Also their shooter Norton shot 0/8 in the first half. I believe he made 2 3s in the second half which got them going. And when McNick is packing in the 2-3 zone basically forcing you to shoot the 3 ball you have to make it.
Didn’t Taft hold the ball for most of the 3rd, up 13

Upset alert! Alter stuns Taft 46-43. The regional is set. CJ will play Watterson. Alter plays Dunbar. Setting up for a potential GCL Regional Final! Wonder if that’s ever happened and if so, how many times?

Upset alert! Alter stuns Taft 46-43. The regional is set. CJ will play Watterson. Alter plays Dunbar. Setting up for a potential GCL Regional Final! Wonder if that’s ever happened and if so, how many times?
It’s happened many times.

94, 95, 97, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03

It's been a while, mostly because the city league schools in Dayton and Cincinnati have greatly improved over the last 15 years and are taking up District spots that the GCL used to take in D2.

BS

Kreke is gone at Badin correct me if I am wrong.
What's next for Badin? It has been established that basketball is the third option at the school behind baseball and football.
Who will they hire?

What's next for Badin? It has been established that basketball is the third option at the school behind baseball and football.
Who will they hire?
I've heard they have narrowed it to 3 for second interviews. No one from the past season's staff was in that group.

Who will they hire?
Word on the street and Yappi is Assistant Coach Brown will become next Head Coach at Badin. Guess time will tell.