Gaylord Perry

Irwin20

In 1963, San Francisco Giants pitcher Gaylord Perry famously declared, "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run."

On July 20, 1969, just 20 minutes after Neil Armstrong became the first human being ever to walk on the moon, Perry hit the first, and only, home run of his career.

In 1963, San Francisco Giants pitcher Gaylord Perry famously declared, "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run."

On July 20, 1969, just 20 minutes after Neil Armstrong became the first human being ever to walk on the moon, Perry hit the first, and only, home run of his career.
I had not heard that - but I was only 2 in 1963. That is a great baseball story, love it.

Pretty interesting that Perry, a career .131 hitter, after a few years in the american league with the DH, in 1981with the Atlanta Braves, Perry, age 42 hit a career high .250 with 12 hits in 48 official at bats. Perry hit 6 career home runs and had 47 rbi.

I remember 1974, watching his streak staying up late to see west coast games when he pitched.
His streak ended at that point...15 wins in a row...lost to the A's in a late night game in Oakland...I recall staying up late as well, listening on the radio as a teenager.

Perry is an interesting character...the whole "cheating" thing...his name comes up with the Belichick stuff and Pete Rose. I always thought Perry's cheating was akin to stepping on a guy's foot under the basket in basketball (do it if you can get away with it...no moral condemnation in my book), whereas Rose's sins earned the harsh treatment. Thought Belichick's actions straddled the line...

Gaylord The Great!......man he drove his managers crazy but you know they all appreciated his talents.
Really enjoyed the year or so we had Jim Perry on the staff as well.

His streak ended at that point...15 wins in a row...lost to the A's in a late night game in Oakland...I recall staying up late as well, listening on the radio as a teenager.

Perry is an interesting character...the whole "cheating" thing...his name comes up with the Belichick stuff and Pete Rose. I always thought Perry's cheating was akin to stepping on a guy's foot under the basket in basketball (do it if you can get away with it...no moral condemnation in my book), whereas Rose's sins earned the harsh treatment. Thought Belichick's actions straddled the line...
I think the fact that opposing hitters all thought Gaylord was cheating had more effect on them than any actual cheating he did.

Gaylord The Great!......man he drove his managers crazy but you know they all appreciated his talents.
Really enjoyed the year or so we had Jim Perry on the staff as well.
Perry and Frank Robinson didn't get along at all. It had an "old South" feel to it.