Frozen Four

Padua over University School. Cleveland owns hockey, and the squad that gets matched up with the Columbus bracket winner in the semifinals usually fares better in the finals.

I agree St. John's has a good shot, but history has demonstrated the team that plays the Columbus region wins the tournament. It has been that way ever since the tournament moved down to Columbus.

I think St. John's gets it done and wins their first Hockey state championship. ;)

Of course, i like Padua in the other semi-final.

yea i saw that on the ohsaa website. what was that for? why did they have to forfit it?

They had an ineligible player on the roster. A freshman played in some Christmas tournament, just one game, for another team during the season. He didn't really play varsity that much, maybe one shift every few games. But that's illegal according to the OHSAA.

So SJ had to forfeit the title to Bowling Green and BG was given the choice to either declare no title that year, or claim it for themselves. So BG declared themselves champions. Keep in mind they lost the championship game 7-0 to SJ.

man that blows. did the OHSAA know this prior to the state championship game or did they discover it sometime after?

It was the first ever state championship game forfeit in any sport in OHSAA history*. Too bad for the kids, especially since it was obvious no advantage was gained from the violation.

* Columbus Africentric became the 2nd when they forfeited a basketball state championship in 2005 to Lutheran East.

man. if i was on that team i would have hung that kid. thats too bad.

well maybe theyll first legit one this weekend.

I think that it this years finals will play out like last years... Most people expect SJJ to win (like Northview), but US is going to wear them down and Padua is going to come in and take back to back state championships. UA's team isn't as deep as they were last year and i feel like they let teams hang in games too much(Moeller and Troy) before finnishing them off, they are going to have to play a flawless game to win (just like last year, minus the goaltender meltdown) and come out of the gates playing 100% or they don't stand a chance.

my hats off to them. they deserve it. they have a great team with talent and a nice mix of upper and lower classmen. congrats to them and all their fans.