Frigid Forecast for Opening Day 2022-how cold is too cold?

fall ball

Looks like our forecast for NW Ohio is nasty for Opening Day this Saturday....here in my neck of the woods they are calling for a high of 39F with snow showers in the morning and 20 to 30 mph winds....

How cold is too cold? Any AD's use any hard and fast rules here? I don't think the OHSAA has any guidelines?

HS Softball really should follow golf's schedule, be the 1st sport to start in mid August and be done by the last week of October. All the high level girls will be in game shape coming off of travel season and they get to play the bulk of the season in warm weather, it is also usually dryer in Ohio during the late summer/early fall time period. But this will never happen as volleyball and soccer will refuse to move to spring because of their club seasons and 4 girls sports in the fall is just too many.

Looks like our forecast for NW Ohio is nasty for Opening Day this Saturday....here in my neck of the woods they are calling for a high of 39F with snow showers in the morning and 20 to 30 mph winds....

How cold is too cold? Any AD's use any hard and fast rules here? I don't think the OHSAA has any guidelines?
The Bats they use perform there best when Temperature are above 40 or 50 degrees per the manufacture?

Even SW Ohio has a forecast of snow flurries Saturday. 75 on Monday though! As long as the wind is down and not snowing/raining 35+ we have practiced/played.

ohsaa doesn't have a rule. you have to hope the coach's and ad's use common sense. tomorrow is too cold for softball

jtk
()

HS Softball really should follow golf's schedule, be the 1st sport to start in mid August and be done by the last week of October. All the high level girls will be in game shape coming off of travel season and they get to play the bulk of the season in warm weather, it is also usually dryer in Ohio during the late summer/early fall time period. But this will never happen as volleyball and soccer will refuse to move to spring because of their club seasons and 4 girls sports in the fall is just too many.
Soccer to the spring (they play in most anything and are usually on turf. Volleyball to the winter. Softball to the fall is a no brainer. Those kids have gotten screwed year after year. I have been a head HS softball coach for numerous years. Not counting our spring break trip to the south or playoff time, we have had seasons where we have had ZERO outside on our field practices all regular season. What happens is the weather is bad late March/early April, but games are still scheduled. They get rescheduled and so you start a backlog. So what happens is any nice day, you play either a makeup game or your scheduled game. But the backlog is always there. So nice days play a game, bad weather back inside in the gym. Rinse, wash, and repeat. Then the season ends and you have no outside on the field practices. It really does suck for the girls.

Last edited: