Former Players Participating in Summer Olympics

Mackinbiner

Carlin Isles, of Jackson High School, is a key member of the U.S. Men's Rugby Sevens team. His speed has earned him the title "Fastest Man in Rugby."

The team won their first two matches yesterday and finish pool play against South Africa tonight at 10:30. They are already guaranteed to advance to the quarter-finals to be played early tomorrow morning.

Considering Carlin Isles is a former high school football player excelling at a world class level, I don’t have a problem with this.

Since I prefer to contribute to threads rather than pollute them, I’d like to mention former Solon Comet player Reggie Jagers. Reggie excelled at the Discus at Kent State and is competing for the US in this event at the Olympics.

Considering Carlin Isles is a former high school football player excelling at a world class level, I don’t have a problem with this.

Since I prefer to contribute to threads rather than pollute them, I’d like to mention former Solon Comet player Reggie Jagers. Reggie excelled at the Discus at Kent State and is competing for the US in this event at the Olympics.
What position did Jaggers play in high school? Isles was a running back.

What position did Jaggers play in high school? Isles was a running back.

Reggie played on the line, OL and DL.

Surprisingly he didn’t start track and field until his junior year at Solon. He came in 5th in the Disc in D1 the next year.

NBC Sports just did a 60 second story on Carlin Isles and VVR another Rugby teammate.

Thanks for sharing that he was a Ohio high school football player.

I’ve always been impressed with Isles
He’s basically a college level or higher athlete in 3 different sports: Rugby, Football, and Track
Isles helped provide a very memorable ending to a game against Lake in 2006. The score was 14-14 with just a few seconds left and Jackson had a 4th down on their own 21. They punted but Lake ran into the kicker, giving the Polar Bears the ball back with 1.1 second left on the 31 yard line. Overtime seemed inevitable but Isles took a handoff around left end and went 69 yards for the winning score as the clock expired.

Carlin Isles scored twice including the winning try in extra time to beat Canada 21-14.
This moved the US on to the 5th place match where they unfortunately lost to South Africa.

This 6th place finish was an improvement from the 9th place finish in 2016.
This 2016 team featured, in addition to Isles, former OSU and current NFL player, Nate Ebner.
Ebner, a 3 time Super Bowl Champion with the Patriots, is one of the rare NFL players who didn't play high school football.

Former Lake Catholic football player and track star and current Team USA pole vaulter Matt Ludwig is currently on his way to Tokyo for the Olympic pole vault competition.

Matt was the alternate at the US Trials until Sam Kendricks tested positive for COVID 19 earlier this week. The men’s pole vault begins tomorrow.

Last edited:
Matt Ludwig came in 10th in his group and missed the finals in the Pole Vault.
Reggie Jagers came in 9th in his group and missed the finals in the Discus.

Last edited:
Isles helped provide a very memorable ending to a game against Lake in 2006. The score was 14-14 with just a few seconds left and Jackson had a 4th down on their own 21. They punted but Lake ran into the kicker, giving the Polar Bears the ball back with 1.1 second left on the 31 yard line. Overtime seemed inevitable but Isles took a handoff around left end and went 69 yards for the winning score as the clock expired.

That was awesome, thx for sharing.