Footlocker/Eastbay/Champs Sports

Anyone from Ohio going to this? It seems since Nike came along Ohio is not well represented in Kenosha anymore.
Unless you're someone with a legitimate chance of qualifying to Nationals, why bother trying to hold any kind of top racing form for 3 more weeks after State when you can go to Terre Haute 1 week after State and maybe have some top form remaining to catch lightning in a bottle? It's amazing how quickly some kids get out of the mode of the sports season that just ended. I always hated when the team banquet would come more than 2 or 3 weeks after the season ended. By then, I'd already forgotten much of what happened during the season.

For the vast majority of the state, Terre Haute is the shorter trip. I MapQuested my school's address in Canton, and the drive to Terre Haute comes in at 1 hr. 20 min. less via the fastest route to both destinations. I also checked on the HSs in the NW corner of Ohio that would have shortest drive times to UW-Parkside, and it's a virtual wash in terms of drive time to either place. However Gibson still has an advantage in not requiring much travel on toll roads vs. being in northern OH where you'll be on toll roads from the moment you get on the Turnpike until you get off the Skyway in Chicago. For points farther south in Ohio, the difference in drive time is significantly in favor of LaVern Gibson. Mason HS for example, is roughly a 3 hr. drive to Gibson and roughly 6 hrs. to UW-Parkside.

Girls were 7th out of 8 states with a full team(13 states included in race):
7. 313 Ohio ( 19:06.0 1:35:29.8) =========================
1 17 105 Kathleen Clute 11 17:53.1
2 35 15 Grace Hartman 12 18:18.4
3 52 218 Megan Hipple 11 18:39.2
4 74 779 Alyssa Mason 12 19:14.7
5 135 33 Layce Artman 12 21:24.4
Boys were 8th out of 8:
8. 329 Ohio ( 16:11.6 1:20:58.0) =========================
1 35 431 Tommy Rice 11 15:44.7
2 44 1041 Keegan Souhan 12 15:56.8
3 55 48 Kiefer Bell 12 16:05.3
4 96 905 Rylan Winkler 11 16:34.9
5 99 159 Logan Flament 11 16:36.3
A few good names showed up last year after doing some research.
Do agree that maintaining a peak is very difficult, let alone keeping them running and not giving into taking a short break.
Distance is an issue also but can be a fun drive going past Notre Dame and Chicago(and the great industrial city of Gary, Indiana!).
I will be making the trek this year after a few years off.

These are artificial teams which come from the individual entrants from that state. Here is what the meet web site says about teams. "The top five (5) individual male and female finishers from every state in the boys and girls' Championship races constitute that state's "team

Yes, I understand they are artificial teams. It just shows who the top 5 individuals are who attended from the state of Ohio.

Yes, 19 is not a lot considering they use to come in buses, but I realize those buses go to Nike now.
Only 6 girls but they are good: D1 first and second at State, D3 fourth and eleventh at State, and Bruhn ran 18:54 at Tiffin but must not have run on a team all year.
Boys have D1 1st, 3rd, and 27th, among others, D2 runner up(champ in 2021), and some kid named Hill with a PB of 16:26.
Looks like upper 40's and sunny for Championship races.

Yes, 19 is not a lot considering they use to come in buses, but I realize those buses go to Nike now.
Only 6 girls but they are good: D1 first and second at State, D3 fourth and eleventh at State, and Bruhn ran 18:54 at Tiffin but must not have run on a team all year.
Boys have D1 1st, 3rd, and 27th, among others, D2 runner up(champ in 2021), and some kid named Hill with a PB of 16:26.
Looks like upper 40's and sunny for Championship races.
I'm assuming the list was the entries for the seeded race. I'm hoping there would be others coming for the open races. We made the trip every year when I was in HS, but none of us ran in the seeded race.

You don't enter a particular race when paying your fee. It's the honor system with regard to which race you enter.

In today's XC world, where time is king, the NXN midwest course is definitely faster under similar weather conditions. That along with the fact that it's a shorter drive and doesn't require extending the season by 3 week make the NXN meet a natural choice for many athletes.

I am very familiar with both courses and like the FLMW course much more.

being in northern OH where you'll be on toll roads from the moment you get on the Turnpike until you get off the Skyway in Chicago.
Just received my e-z pass statement, the total bill for my trip was $58.16!! The big cost was the $5.90 to cross the Chicago Skyway Bridge x 2.

Here we are 5 days later, and nobody has yet mentioned that Connor Ackley, Tommy Rice, and Katie Clute all placed in the top 10 of their respective races to qualify for the national meet in San Diego to be contested on Dec. 10. Sarah Peer missed qualifying by 1 place.

Number of Ohio runners finishing in each race:
Boys Championship - 8
Girls Championship - 4
Boys Fr, So - 1
Boys Jr, Sr - 1. I presume that competitor is why Gator made the trip.
Girls Fr, So, Jr, Sr - 0. These would normally be contested as 2 races (Fr-So and Jr-Sr), but only 27 girls competed in the race for the 4 grades combined!
Open - 0. These appear to be mostly post-HS runners. Only 40 people competed in this race.
Youth - 0

That's a grand total of 14 runners from Ohio. However, it's not just an Ohio issue. Some of the races were incredibly small, so the runners from other states aren't coming in large numbers either.

My kids used to love to run this one even though it was almost always a sloppy mess (the course). Geographically it worked for us because we would typically spend Thanksgiving in Chicago. As they got older extending their training time by three weeks just wasn’t viable anymore since they needed to take a break so that they could change gears and start training for track.

these would normally be contested as 2 races (Fr-So and Jr-Sr)
Is this true? I thought the juniors and seniors girls all use to just ran in the championship race?
It was fun to watch them race(the qualifiers), except we were not familiar with Ackley and what he looked like.
It was nice for Tommy who finished 35th last year and Katie up from 17th to represent Ohio this year.
I saw Sarah walking with her father after the race and she was noticeably upset but I do not believe she was ever in a position to move on.
It was kind of interesting to watch the qualifiers immediately after the race shuffled off to a small bus and transported up to the school for their informational meeting for nationals.
The weather was great but breezy and the course was a tad muddy, which as 4Runner said, is common that time of year.