Football--Who is the best player...

I don't think many people would argue, that Anthony Gary was the best to come out of Springfield. Back in his day, he was one of the better Runningbacks in the area, as well as one of the best Wrestlers, in his weight class. A Wrestling Scholarship to Ohio State is pretty impressive.

The only other name from Springfield, that comes to mind is Bo James. I don't have many statistics to give, but his name comes up often, when talking to Springfield Alum.

Hey BDevils, stay out it you don't have anything intelligent to say.

I also have to agree that in the recent past that Anthony Gary was the most well-known. HE could plow through some people on the football field, and I guess was a terror on the mat too.

Hey, is Bo James related to Bo Jangles??

Ray Angerstein played there in the mid 1970s as a RB...scored a bunch of TDs and ran for many yards. I'm sure Gary wipedout many of his records,but I recall his name from a ways abck.

how do you rate the best player to ever come out of springfield? just by high school stats alone? Sure there were great players like Bo James, Ray Angerstein, Anthony Gary, Kevin Lewis, Jim Lewis, Gary James, Joe Huff, John Hopkins but what did they do at the next level? Then on the other side of the coin there are guys like Bob Crites (West Virginia), Coppenger (Vanderbilt), Mark Anderson (Michigan State), Don Wallace (Hiram), Keith Lowden (Mt. Union), Jason Ochs (Baldwin Wallace), Chris Ochs (Capital), Joe Dilauro (Toldeo), John Mazur (Toledo), John Lusk (Bucknell), DJ Hedrick (Capital), Steve Shaffer (Capital), Don Stone (Mt. Union), JW Wearly (Mt. Union), Doug Scwaberow (Walsh) all good players that excelled at the next level. I'd say Springfield has had its share of good football players!

Fantastic, I believe you are right!

HE scored a phenomenal number of TDs his senior year, I believe. I'm pretty sure you are correct.

Ray Angerstein was by far the best football player to ever out of Springfield High School. He was the state of Ohio player of the year. I was a sophomore when he was a senior, I started & played the first two full games of the season. I'm telling you, it was like watching packaged dynamite. He was not just lightening quick and fast, but was incredibly strong before weight lifting was even a major thing back then. He reminded me of watching the likes of Jim Thorpe or Jim Brown.