Fix-a-Flat or Slime?

JackEd

I've used fix a flat with no success, I have not used slime to fix a leaking tire. My son has a leak around the valve stem on his scooter. I bought fix a flat yesterday and it inflated the tire but leaked right out over a few hours. I saw the Slime at the store but did not purchase. Is it a waste of money or does it work?

I've used fix a flat with no success, I have not used slime to fix a leaking tire. My son has a leak around the valve stem on his scooter. I bought fix a flat yesterday and it inflated the tire but leaked right out over a few hours. I saw the Slime at the store but did not purchase. Is it a waste of money or does it work?

I've used slime on lawn tractor and bike.....worked great on both!

As a farmer who has to repair many tires each year, I have tried both, and have learned the only "quick fix" that works for me is to plug a tire when it gets a nail hole in it. Valve stem leaks are one of the most difficult to stop. The reason? On most small tires, they use tubes inside of the tire. The actual tire then surrounds the inner tube and will mount on the rim and unless it is a bicycle tire with spokes piercing the rim, the tire will seal off the route of air escaping from the tube, so the only place left to escape is around the valve stem.

Most valve stem leaks are actually the result of tiny pin hole leaks caused from a inner tube that is deteriorating. So adding slime or fix a flat will potentially work for a short time, but the old inner tube continues to break down, and the slime and fix a flat escape from inside the tube to the space between tube and tire and ultimately onto the rim.

If you never intend to replace the tire or tube if the fix a flat or slime fail to work, then go ahead and try one, but that stuff is a nightmare to clean up if left too long.

For kids toys, I always try to get to the root of the failure if I value the overall toy. Saves time and money in the long run.

My son took his scooter out today. Let the slime set up for around 24 hours. It bled out a little over .2 miles. It was leaking at the stem valve, so I don’t know how to feel about this product.

I would never put fix a flat or slime into a tire. I fix flats with patches ( I will not even use plugs) if you use fix a flat or slime and it does not fix the problem then you have a mess and it will really make it hard to patch or plug successfully.