Final Four

Hockeyfan9

Who makes it to the final four from the Kent, Brooklyn, Slyvania, and Columbus districts and why? Feel free to post tournament game scores here as well

Toledo teams vs. Red North...

Sylvania Northview... 3 losses and 2 ties (DNP Ignatius)
TSJ...3 wins, 2 losses, 1 tie (DNP Ignatius), wins against Padua (2) and Lake Cath. (1).

Last edited:
Northview went to the final four in 2010 and lost.
SJJ hasn't been there since 09 and they lost.

SJJ is 0-3 vs. Northview this year, but the Titans are due for one. The SJJ shot to goal % is way higher than Northview's. But NV gets so a ton more shots. SJJ's D has to stiffen. If the Titans get more shots they'll put the puck in the net more times. Even if they're out-shot by a few I think they will win.

NV = great Defense, solid Offense, and average Goalie. BUT because the D doesn't give up many shots the Goalie looks better.

SJJ = Great Offense, suspect Defense, and good Goalie. SJJ has more tallented guys they can put one the Ice, as where Northview has a good 1st and 2nd line.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2012/03/11/orange-overwhelmed-on-special-teams.html

State Hockey Semifinals | Sylvania Northview 6, Olentangy Orange 0: Orange overwhelmed on special teams
By Adam Conn
The Columbus Dispatch
Sunday March 11, 2012 9:13 AM

In some cases, the best offense is a good defense. In Sylvania Northview’s case, the best offense is its special-team units.

Northview scored three power-play goals and three short-handed on the way to a 6-0 victory over Olentangy Orange yesterday in a state hockey semifinal at Nationwide Arena.

Northview dominated on the scoreboard and in shots, with a 37-10 edge.

“I didn’t see any weaknesses in their game,” Orange coach Tim Pennington said. “(Northview) is ranked No. 2 in the state for a reason, and they just keep coming,”

Orange appeared to have dodged a bullet early on, when goalie Clay Horvath made some terrific stops. But then Northview’s special teams took over.

Northview finally capitalized on the power play. Brady Storer passed to Ian Clement, who redirected the puck and sent it through the legs of an unsuspecting Horvath at the 10:36 mark of the first.

“I never get rattled and they didn’t have a lot of great chances. I just think we never got that first goal to get momentum,” Horvath said.

The Pioneers were trailing 2-0 when they got their first break 10 minutes into the second period with a power-play opportunity.

But after Northview’s Dalton Carter blocked a shot by Jacob Green, he sent a long pass to a streaking Zach Felser, who beat Horvath with a double move on a breakaway for the short-handed goal.

The Wildcats again were a man down when Carter took the opening faceoff deep into Orange’s zone. His shot careened off Horvath’s pad right to Drew Crandall, who found an open net on a rebound 17 seconds into the third period.

Taylor Hardy finally put the puck past Northview goalie Phil Bowels, but an early whistle during a scrum in front of the net nullified the goal.

“The puck was under (Bowels’) pads, but it was definitely still in play,” Orange forward Dar Faroughi said. “(Dino Cappocia) pushed the goalie back into the net, the puck went in the net, but the whistle apparently blew. … I didn’t hear it.”

After Carter was credited with another short-handed goal after his rebound was inadvertently kicked in by Jake Shepherd, frustrations set in and the penalties mounted — five in three-plus minutes for Orange. Xavier Sudlow completed the scoring on a power play with three minutes remaining.

“We couldn’t get anything going on offense, couldn’t get the puck out sometimes. It was frustrating to say the least,” said Faroughi, who was penalized twice for roughing.

Northview will face Lakewood St. Edward, which rallied to defeat Huntington Valley University School 3-2 in overtime, at 11 a.m. today in the championship game.

aconn@dispatch.com