Fights at Kings Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize there are white teenagers in their "immediate and surrounding neighborhoods" also.
Yeah...and?

Is that another deflection from a pretty simple question?

This will all go unanswered, like it always does.

The minority community is different than the feeder community. If you’re not willing to meet then half way on some things, they’re not going to bother, nor should they.

You cant say “we want you here, but on all our terms”. You’re not saving them, it’s a relationship. What healthy relationship exists where one side dictates the terms?

Last edited:
You are so focused on "black teenagers". I'm just pointing out there are white teenagers that are in their immediate and surrounding neighborhood too. I don't know why you have to focus on a specific race.
It’s not necessarily race vs. expanding their reach of kids as feeders decline in numbers.

But if you’re looking at the demographics of their immediate neighborhood and the surroundings neighborhoods into downtown and going down Price Hill, it would seem to make sense that that’s an area where a bunch of new recruits could be identified for an enrollment boost.

They have a vast public school demographic right in their own back yard and don’t seem too concerned with going after some of it. Yet they will target schools in Indiana 30 miles away?

Cmon, this doesn’t make any sense. There’s no way they say “well those people can’t afford it, so we’re just going to move on”.

THIS is a commitment - THIS is how it’s done. And it’s been a complete game changer for St Ed’s.

I also know that most Westsiders look at this and see fear, uncertainty, and their son sitting the bench. Like I said, most would rather ensure their kid gets the starting reps than to elevate the profile of the institution. Opportunity control.

And yet another OUTSTANDING article. MOST of the things you read about in this article are the exact same assumptions people write in this very forum. They also have a VP of Diversity and Inclusion. People constantly tell us it’s impossible for Elder to do this - not even close.

And I don’t put this out there because I think “well everyone should do this and it will work”.

There are so many parallels Elder has to St Ed’s. Both are in the PRIME spot to take advantage of the merging of two huge demographics, the huge Catholic based feeder kids, and the city center public kids. You own the city if this happens, and they’ve done it.

St Ed’s has viewed it as a competitive advantage. Elder (and mostly Elder families) seems to be afraid of it because “bad kids will ruin the school”. It’s literally is a modern day “Remember the Titans” scenario.

THIS is their competitive advantage over the great suburb schools like Mason and the Lakotas. And they’re not taking advantage of it.

There’s a reason St X and St Ed’s are the cream of the crop in Ohio. Opportunity and inclusivity for any and all, and a mission that puts it at its highest priority.

Elder does well. It’s a very good school. But they should be very concerned about the future enrollment if they’re not tapping into a public school base right at their fingertips. I know we’ve been taking about this for a decade, but what we talked about 10 years ago is now right on the doorstep in the next couple of years. The feeder enrollment isn’t even comparable over the next decade, and their strategy hasn’t shifted much.

So I guess we will see what happens. I’ve long predicted that it will get interesting once this rising junior/senior class graduates.

Last edited:
THIS is a commitment - THIS is how it’s done. And it’s been a complete game changer for St Ed’s.

I also know that most Westsiders look at this and see fear, uncertainty, and their son sitting the bench. Like I said, most would rather ensure their kid gets the starting reps than to elevate the profile of the institution. Opportunity control.
If you think Elder parents are worried about “starter reps” and stuff like that, you need to get out and see how parents at other, less athletically successful schools act. Schools like Oak Hills and Taylor. This isn’t the issue you want it to be at Elder.

If you think Elder parents are worried about “starter reps” and stuff like that, you need to get out and see how parents at other, less athletically successful schools act. Schools like Oak Hills and Taylor. This isn’t the issue you want it to be at Elder.
Trey still upset that his cousins neighbors kid got cut from an Elder Team. Trey=?

What do other schools have to do with Elders lack of commitment to inclusion? This is what you people do - deflect, deflect, deflect. Your response is nothing but a diversion.

As usual, ZERO responses and comments on the amazing job St Ed’s has done to build inclusion into their strategic growth (just as I predicted, crickets) and how Elder can learn and thrive from it. But you people will post pages and pages and pages with blatant denials of obvious things.

BLIND.SPOT.

My analysis of the reasons Elder people don’t embrace this is, and has been, spot on.

So where did this idea that Kings Island gave away tickets to certain schools even come from? I have seen zero on this except here. Any proof of this?

What do other schools have to do with Elders lack of commitment to inclusion? This is what you people do - deflect, deflect, deflect. Your response is nothing but a diversion.

As usual, ZERO responses and comments on the amazing job St Ed’s has done to build inclusion into their strategic growth (just as I predicted, crickets) and how Elder can learn and thrive from it. But you people will post pages and pages and pages with blatant denials of obvious things.

BLIND.SPOT.

My analysis of the reasons Elder people don’t embrace this is, and has been, spot on.
I’m not deflecting away from an issue that MAYBE Elder has. I’m pointing out that this particular issue happens all over the place and, in my experience at multiple area high schools, is much worse at those places. I know this first hand. I’d rather parents at those schools be more like Elder parents on this topic and understand that little Jimmy isn’t a special athlete who deserves all the playing time. Remember, that’s what I was pointing out; nothing else you’re going on about.
Also, great for St. Ed’s, man. Maybe you should direct this towards people who actually work at Elder instead of constantly bitching and whining anonymously online. I don’t work at Elder, I’m not close or friends with any administration and my kids aren’t old enough to even be thinking about high school yet. But maybe I’ll take the stuff you posted about Ed’s and send an email to someone there instead of whining all day.

I’m not deflecting away from an issue that MAYBE Elder has. I’m pointing out that this particular issue happens all over the place and, in my experience at multiple area high schools, is much worse at those places. I know this first hand. I’d rather parents at those schools be more like Elder parents on this topic and understand that little Jimmy isn’t a special athlete who deserves all the playing time. Remember, that’s what I was pointing out; nothing else you’re going on about.
Also, great for St. Ed’s, man. Maybe you should direct this towards people who actually work at Elder instead of constantly bitching and whining anonymously online. I don’t work at Elder, I’m not close or friends with any administration and my kids aren’t old enough to even be thinking about high school yet. But maybe I’ll take the stuff you posted about Ed’s and send an email to someone there instead of whining all day.
To be clear, I’m whining about the fact that everyone blatantly ignores this as a reality. Like I said, you can do whatever you want, just be upfront about The real reasons why this hasn’t been a priority.

I’d much rather hear people say. This school is for Westside Catholic kids, and I want my legacy to continue with them on the playing field, and I have put in my time for that to be an entitlement for me. Don’t you know what I did here in 1986?

because of my legacy, I know my kids will get endless opportunities here. Don’t you dare try to screw that up with these ridiculous “diversity” ideas.

Most families 100% don’t want any diverse expansion, yet zero of them will say it. They know it will take food from their table. Their way around it will be to say “we tried, they just don’t want to come”.

yeah ok. Just be real.

Last edited:
Elder should try to model themselves after Eds, but it’s also important to remember, Eds only has to compete with Ignatius for kids from all over Cleveland. It would be like if Elder could pull kids from all over Cincinnati and the only other Large Private school competitor was X.

Elder should try to model themselves after Eds, but it’s also important to remember, Eds only has to compete with Ignatius for kids from all over Cleveland. It would be like if Elder could pull kids from all over Cincinnati and the only other Large Private school competitor was X.

How does Ed's strategy compare to LaSalle's?

To be clear, I’m whining about the fact that everyone blatantly ignores this as a reality. Like I said, you can do whatever you want, just be upfront about The real reasons why this hasn’t been a priority.

I’d much rather hear people say. This school is for Westside Catholic kids, and I want my legacy to continue with them on the playing field, and I have put in my time for that to be an entitlement for me. Don’t you know what I did here in 1986?

because of my legacy, I know my kids will get endless opportunities here. Don’t you dare try to screw that up with these ridiculous “diversity” ideas.

Most families 100% don’t want any diverse expansion, yet zero of them will say it. They know it will take food from their table. Their way around it will be to say “we tried, they just don’t want to come”.

yeah ok. Just be real.
Pretty cool how you’re able to speak for the majority of Elder alum and families. A real special talent. Personally, I have no “legacy” to continue through my kids; myself included, only 2 of my family members have even attended Elder. If my kids are good enough to earn PT, great. If they’re smart enough to take honors classes, great. I think most people around my age (late 20s/early 30s) with kids feel the same way. In fact, a lot of them I know aren’t really considering private schools and would gladly embrace more diversity. The more boys that can embrace and go through the Elder experience for 4 years, the better.

Pretty cool how you’re able to speak for the majority of Elder alum and families. A real special talent. Personally, I have no “legacy” to continue through my kids; myself included, only 2 of my family members have even attended Elder. If my kids are good enough to earn PT, great. If they’re smart enough to take honors classes, great. I think most people around my age (late 20s/early 30s) with kids feel the same way. In fact, a lot of them I know aren’t really considering private schools and would gladly embrace more diversity. The more boys that can embrace and go through the Elder experience for 4 years, the better.
When have I ever said I speak for alums or families? I’m just a dude with an opinion.

As I’ve said, Elder is a good school and kids will learn a lot in 4 years, but on this topic of why inclusion really hasn’t been embraced, I’m pretty spot on.

Theres a reason it’s a taboo subject that won’t be touched by most. A true threat to the establishment.

I don’t see it as the same strategy. For one, LaSalle keeps getting smaller and Ed’s continues to grow.

LaSalle seems to have gone out and recruited kids to elevate sports, without a real plan to assimilate the combining of two very different demographics. The feeder population is far from happy over there.

Eds laid out a smart and calculated strategy of truly embracing inclusion and assimilation to welcome kids they traditionally didn’t have up to that point. They were measured and empathetic with both sides about what it meant and how things had to change.

I don’t see a lot of parallels.

I’m sure it’s to leverage their resources to get as many kids, including high caliber athletes, as possible. There’s no secret sauce, when you have $, tradition, a large pool of kids, and only 1 large competitor, you’re going to be successful.

LS has less $, a much smaller pool of kids and 3 other large competitors. They can’t do what Ed’s does, at least not on the same scale.

i like how posters like to bring Oak Hills into the conversation. its amazing how irrelevant they are in football but elder guys bring them up. lol

jtk
()

i like how posters like to bring Oak Hills into the conversation. its amazing how irrelevant they are in football but elder guys bring them up. lol

jtk
()
Brought them up because I know people who have experience with the parents there and I do too, to a slightly less degree. The attitudes there and at Taylor are very different than those at Elder when it comes to sports and wanting to work to earn your spot/PT vs. wanting to coast into a spot and playing time by virtue of simply being on the team. The parents, in my experience at the public schools I have experience at, are much more vocal as well. I can only use the experiences I know about to make fair comparisons.

Does anyone have any opinions about Elder, minorities, and inclusion? bc when I think of fights breaking out at KI I immediately think elder isnt inclusive and I wonder what Trey thinks. All we need now is 14red to comment.

jtk
()
If anyone’s son can’t get Playing Time for OH Football they can’t get playing time at any other School in town and the parents should ! OH Football is the most irrelevant sport at the School.

Does anyone have any opinions about Elder, minorities, and inclusion? bc when I think of fights breaking out at KI I immediately think elder isnt inclusive and I wonder what Trey thinks. All we need now is 14red to comment.
Lol - kind of funny.

But I did move the discussion to another thread. No elder families really cares about diversity and inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.